Author Topic: polyester lovetowel  (Read 3199 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
polyester lovetowel
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:24:29 AM »
i've been rewatching the 1968 episodes.

last night i watched the infamous "fake-carolyn" episode.diana walker's performance left me speechless!

anywho there is a scene where carolyn goes up to adam's room for some sort of confrontation(snooze)and discovers that the besotted monster has a polyester chiffon scarf of hers(i'm just guessing it's polyester chiffon.i doubt d.c.p. splurged for silk).he keeps it because it "reminds" him of her.

well,i don't need to spell that out,do i guys.you know what the implications of that are. [nono]

in fact the unspoken pyschosexual implications of this entire storyline(you know,with it's strongly suggested attempted sexual assault)are off the charts!

on a different note this episode seemed very "b-list" in it's cast.we get fake-carolyn,harry johnson,tony peterson gets dragged out of mothballs(neither one exactly movers and shakers),roger and the dull-as-a-thud adam.the very next episode features barnabas,julia,professor stokes,jeff clark and vicki and suddenly seems all "a-listy" again(did i just refer to jeff clark as "a-list"?).

a weird episode.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: polyester lovetowel
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:47 PM »
No offense, I think you're reading too much into the comment about the scarf. Way too much.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:33:13 AM »
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »
on a different note this episode seemed very "b-list" in it's cast. ... tony peterson gets dragged out of mothballs

Waaaaah!! Please don't call hubba hubba Tony dreamy a b-lister!!

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:50:43 PM »
Wow.  Now I need to go back and see that episode.  I just remember finding it bizarre from the get-go because poor Diana Walker seemed so off-key.

The thing about the scarf reminds me of the scandal around Nijinsky's infamous debut of his ballet on Debussy's Afternoon of a Faun (the film about Diaghilev's life with Alan Bates has an effective re-enactment of the infamous "convulsion").

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:55:36 AM »
No offense, I think you're reading too much into the comment about the scarf. Way too much.

perhaps...

but the thought of adam,well you know,over carolyn's cheap polyester scarf just struck me as funny.

this storyline does have something of a strong sexual subtext.

Offline Breebell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:13 PM »
but the thought of adam,well you know,over carolyn's cheap polyester scarf just struck me as funny.

So that's what a love towel is!!!!

This thread had me confused,
Thanks for straightening me out mscbryk.

And now........

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Not Adam!  He was just too innocent at that point.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:37:40 PM »
EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I know! Cheap polyester, so gross!!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:33:40 AM »
by this point in the storyline adam was anything but innocent...

besides innocence and,well you know,are not mutally exclusive.lots of people do it(quel scandale!)and it doesn't make them total pervs.

perhaps even artificially created monsters. [ghost_shocked]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
So Adam did, well you know, with the scarf, and then returned it to Carolyn?  Did he wash it first?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:00:44 PM »
A whole new world of depravity is opening up before me.  I hope you're all satisfied.   

I guess the entire world all goes off on summer vacations at the same time hence the dead zone here, and on all other boards I go to.   I didn't realize everyone's vacation time coincided this closely.   Anyway, this is why I keep coming back to this thread.  I don't have many alternatives to the polyester lovetowel.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »
Uh, my mind is just unable to comprehend Adam doing such a thing.  He seems so childlike in many ways. However, I must say that I'm impressed that such a discussion can even take place on this board.  Perhaps I've missed previous discussions of this sort before.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
such discusions generally do not take place at this board.it's generally a more refined place.

and i'm not sure how "impressed" i am with myself for starting such a debauched topic(and it's not without a certain amount of regret)but it just popped into my head and the imagery struck me as funny.

actually there was a conversation about underpants a few weeks back that got a bit loose.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
Actually, at the 2005 Hollywood fest, I asked Robert Rodan about something along these lines. I said that I thought there were a lot of sexual overtones to his portrayal of Adam concerning his infatuation with Carolyn. I asked him if he had tapped into any teenage-hormone awakenings to do that. He simply laughed and said, "No. Carolyn was just Adam's puppy dog. He loved to carry her around and cuddle her." So, my feeling is, if the portrayer himself denies it, I'm apt to believe it.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
I thought that as time went on, Adam smouldered with barely repressed sexual rage. 

I think that if the character had managed to figure out what we're discussing here, he might have been able to relax a bit and stop yelling all the time.

Perhaps Barnabas needed to take the role that Father Hermes did with His Son Pan in Greek myth, when Pan was weeping because the Nymph had denied Him.  It's a thought...

One thing I've appreciated about these boards is the fact that we can enjoy the occasional bit of adult humor without the need to tsk-tsk over it.  I hope that that tradition can continue.

winking lewdly, G.