Author Topic: Semi OT: Keith Prentice  (Read 950 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Keith Prentice
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
Dear Fans,

On Friday, I was able to browse a copy of Boze Hadleigh's newish book, Broadway Babylon.  There are a couple of paragraphs devoted to Keith Prentice in the section of the stage and film productions of Boys in the Band. Nothing was said that was new to me, and I do feel obliged to warn potential readers that Mr. Hadleigh's assertions are not always to be taken as gospel (!) truth. 

The 1969 film of Boys in the Band is being released on DVD this November--a bare bones release without any extras, apparently--and there's a rather grainy copy of an original trailer for the movie now on YouTube.  At least a couple of brief Keith Prentice scenes occur in the trailer, for those who have never seen it. Bear in mind that he did this BEFORE he was on DS.  Hadleigh mentions that Prentice went on to work in another soap after the cancellation of DS--I can't recall which one.

In unrelated news, I'm heading off to spend my annual week at a Farm owned by a lovely gay couple who are friends of mine.  I spend a week living in a tent in a field, well off the grid and far away from phones, computers, and all the rest of the so-called modern conveniences.  HEAVEN.

Still, I'll probably think of some favorite DS scene at least once.  Perhaps while I'm skinny dipping in the pond I'll remember Grayson's scene in End of the Road where Stacey Keach digs her out of the sand at the beach and she giggles in her memorable gurgling drawl and exclaims, "Hi there!"  A bit of summer fun from 40 years ago...

cheers!  G.

David

Re: Semi OT: Keith Prentice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »
The Boys in the Band was indeed a groundbreaker!

Keith was mainly a stage actor/director, but we can also see
him in one scene of the Al Pacino leather/S & M shocker Cruising (1980), now out on DVD.
Keith plays Joey.

David 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Keith Prentice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:35 AM »
getting to this topic very late but i had seen neither "boys in the band" nor 1841pt when this was posted so i knew nothing about keith...

however i just watched "boys" over the weekend,including many dvd extras,and was totally blown away by it.genius.or as one friend put it "exquisite torture".

i actually had no idea that a d.s cast member was in it until the closing credits and i recognized mr.prentice's name from this board.i really liked him in the film.and super hot too.

even after all my years with d.s. i've still never made it to 1841pt.i sort of started to lose interest during the 1840 episodes and stopped with them although i've re-watched some favorite storylines several times and kind of liked having something else to look forward to should i ever decide to watch it.now i'm quite curious to see mr.prentice's work on the program.

i must say that it was quite striking for a daytime soap(particularly one with a large adolescent audience)in 1970 to cast an actor so strongly associated with a gay character and situation(keith had played "larry" for two years in the play version of "boys" before reprising his role for the film).quite.

sad too that keith,and five of his nine "boys" castmate,died so young.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.