Author Topic: DS Fest Mentioned in the LA Times  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DS Fest Mentioned in the LA Times
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »
As usual I'm behind on checking my e-mail, so I just came across this mention of the DS Fest in Saturday's LA Times: Happening today: Miracle Mile Art Walk, 'Dark Shadows' Fest. However, who knew this was Frid's "first convention appearance"? Or that this year "will be special, as DS devotees will get to to see ... actor Johnny Depp, a long-time fan of the show, who will portray the undead Barnabas in an upcoming film"? I'm guessing the fans who witnessed the latter simply passed out on the spot and have yet to revive, and that's the reason why no one has mentioned it yet.

Although, maybe the LA Times writer simply saw the Fest flyer that could have easily been construed to imply Depp would be a part of the movie panel, and that's where she got that idea. But who knows where she got the idea this was going to be Frid's first Fest?  ::)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: DS Fest Mentioned in the LA Times
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:18:19 PM »
As usual I'm behind on checking my e-mail, so I just came across this mention of the DS Fest in Saturday's LA Times: (URL)
. However, who knew this was Frid's "first convention appearance"? Or that this year "will be special, as DS devotees will get to to see ... actor Johnny Depp, a long-time fan of the show, who will portray the undead Barnabas in an upcoming film"? I'm guessing the fans who witnessed the latter simply passed out on the spot and have yet to revive, and that's the reason why no one has mentioned it yet.

Although, maybe the LA Times writer simply saw the Fest flyer that could have easily been construed to imply Depp would be a part of the movie panel, and that's where she got that idea. But who knows where she got the idea this was going to be Frid's first Fest?  ::)

MB, the Depp fans found this article on Sat., and they got really excited about the prospect of Johnny appearing at the Fest.  I had to calm them down on the board I participate in, and express my skepticism. I pointed out that the part about "a discussion about the film with Johnny Depp" probably meant that Johnny would be in the film, not the discussion!  Don't get me wrong, I wish that Johnny could've been there!  But I knew that he wasn't expected.  I also saw the huge goof about Frid, and felt that this particular reporter didn't do very thorough research  [ghost_embarrassed]

By the way, I'd like to thank all the kind folks who gave feedback and reports about the Fest- keep 'em coming!  I haven't been to one in 11 years, but hope to make it back to one someday!

Cathy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
this particular reporter didn't do very thorough research

Clearly. Recent journalistic standards have definitely fallen far below what they once were. And some people wonder why newspapers are dying? Hmmm - could it be that so many reporters seem to think research is a complete waste of time?! Though, sadly, when it comes to DS, lack of familiarity with the facts has been an ongoing problem for a few decades already...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:23:25 AM »
RIGHT!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
I saw Johnny Depp at the Fest~~his face adorned a T shirt that was for sale, LOL!
But I saw him!

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »
No new content of note, but a brief report about the Festival appeared on the new website for the magazine Cinema Retro, http://www.cinemaretro.com.  The notice included a familiar publicity photo of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas (probably dating to 1968) and mention of the Johnny Depp movie project.

G.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »
I saw Johnny Depp at the Fest~~his face adorned a T shirt that was for sale, LOL!
But I saw him!

LOL!   [ghost_grin]  I guess that counts!  Was it a Depp-as-Barnabas t-shirt, David?

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
Just came upon this "review" of the Fest which certainly is not representative of the majority of attendees I hope. First there were over a thousand people who attended and this reviewer did not seem to have a handle on this particular Fest. But everyone is entitled to represent an opinion.

http://robojapan.blogspot.com/2008/07/dark-shadows-festival-in-burbank-review.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
Was it a Depp-as-Barnabas t-shirt, David?

Wow, t-shirt sales did well this year!-- Bobubas sold out, and by Sunday the face of Johnnybas adorned a LOT of chests.

To answer your question (hope you don't mind), the black shirts said BARNABAS FOR PRESIDENT above this image from last year's Collinsport Players skit:

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »
O M G!!!  That portrait.  COULD YOU DIE???   [ghost_tongue2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
Um, I think I just did.

:::heavy sigh:::  I am soooo not ready for the Capn Barnaby action figures...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
LOL Gothick...sorry I know you hate remakes. I don't like straight out remakes either....but I DO like REIMAGINING'S!! :)  Hey though if it gets NODS restored you will be happy.  And if they do make dolls it won't be much different then way back when.  There was DS merchandise for everything.

David

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
Can I play Willie in Depp Shadows?
I want to be Johnny's slave,
sigh.........

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »
sigh.........

DEEP SHADOWS?  Okay!!!!!!!!!!  Loves it David.  Gave me a big  [ghost_grin] for the day!! I also think that he needs two man servants!  I will volunteer for the second!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »
sigh.........

Sounds good to me- can I get in line, too??  [ghost_smiley]

The t-shirts sound great, too... nobody knows how to contact the vendor, do they?

Cathy