Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0587  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0587
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 09:59:38 AM »
Why exactly did  hey recreated a flashback scene? Was it because it was in black and white? Or because the searching for the tape and putting into new show would be too expensive.??
I think that in 1968 they needed to emphasize something different from what they were getting at in 1967, so they had to rewrite the scene.  I've never watched the two scenes one-after-the-other, so my memory is not reliable on this, but in the original, the point of the scene was that Maggie was pretending that she believed herself to be Josette when in fact she had figured out that she was Maggie, whereas in 1968, the point of the scene was Maggie's realization that Barnabas was a vampire.

And, of course, as you suggested, JWGucciEnvy, the switch between color and black & white would have been jarring.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 01:56:51 AM »
I'm glad that Maggie is remembering, it would be a nice payoff if Barnabas did get caught once in awhile.

Except that Barnabas didn't really get caught. [spoiler]Nicholas made her forget a few episodes later, never to remember again.[/spoiler]

Frankly, I'm glad. I know Barnabas can be selfish and self-centered but I would not have wanted to see him leave the show.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
It only takes Barnabas being caught once to end him as a character.... in the "present" anyway.

I was surprised that in 1968 they were willing to dredge up Maggie's imprisonment again, since it would be so hard to make go away, and it challenged the brand new role of Barnabas as protagonist, that was on shaky enough ground already.

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor