Author Topic: Dark Shadows on Next-Generation Video Formats?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows on Next-Generation Video Formats?
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
I've been curious about this, despite the fact that both the TVs in my house are SDTVs, and my players are only capable of playing DVDs. Does anyone know if MPI plans to release Dark Shadows on Blu-Ray?
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows on Next-Generation Video Formats?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
I don't think they've gotten into the Blu-Ray game with any titles yet. I imagine it will be quite a few years before DS is released on a new format. 
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »
I just have to say I have been relieved to see that classic and cult releases have continued to be in DVD format.  I actually haven't heard of any cult material being released in Blu Ray, though I think that Tim Lucas may have wrote a piece on his "Video Watchblog" a couple of months ago about a foreign Blue Ray (or digital high-definitiion DVD format?) release of Horror of Dracula that had mind-blowingly crisp definition.  I have to confess that I am on the fence about digital restoration since it seems to "restore" vivid color schemes that were never seen in ANY previous generation of a classic film.  On the other hand, they do look very pretty on the slightly more state-of-the-art playback equipment I acquired two years ago (mind you, I'm far from getting one of those giant rectangular gizmos suspended from the ceiling by designer kryptonite chains).

There was a report the other day about one of the big labels issuing the Cushing/Lee classic "The Gorgon" as part of a fourpack.  The Paul Massie "Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll" (which features what I personally regard as one of Christopher Lee's better performances of the period) is also going to be in this new set.

I don't know whether it would be worth upgrading to something more finely-defined than the existing DVDs.  Sometimes, the grain of the original video master gives the product a very raw look to my eyes, as it is.

G.

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:32:43 AM »
Dark shadows was originally video taped with NTSC video cameras and NTSC video recorders on NTSC video tape it was limited to 525 lines. it would not look any better if it was put on Blu-ray.
Dan

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:44:48 AM »
Well that is cool to know.  I kind of wondered where all this came into play.   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
When I first heard about Blu-Ray, several years ago, they said that the big advantage to it was that you could fit more on a disk.  Wouldn't it be neat to be able to watch five dozen Dark Shadows episodes at a time without having to lift a finger to change disks?  Almost as good as world peace!

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:27:53 PM »
Precisely what I was thinking, Lydia. Imagine how much space could be saved by having an entire DVD collection on one Blu-Ray disc. I know that DS, being a show filmed low-budget in the 1960s and 70s, would likely not look much, if any, better.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.