Author Topic: Anyone know what any DS actor were paid?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Anyone know what any DS actor were paid?
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:11:42 AM »
On this one board I visit for a soap called GH.  [ghost_mad] You cannot ask personal questions about stuff like this.  HOWEVER, seeing this board rocks, I thought it may be okay here.  :)  I wondered if anyone knew what perhaps an actor made an ep.  I am sure JF, JB, and GH probably made more than the others.  Possibly Louis too.  I read in one of Craig's books, that GH asked Louis what Dan was paying him and it kind of turned him off to GH.  He was touchy about money for those who have read his BIO.

BTW..I am sorry I have posted like crazy.  I am experiencing DS HIGH right now.  And I want you  guys to know this is one of the nicest boards I have ever been a part of.  Everyone is amazing and so kind, welcoming and super nice.

Thanks so much! 
Stay In The Shadows,
Taeylor
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know what any DS actor were paid?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:02:53 AM »
Joan Bennett was paid $300 per episode, and was guaranteed $1k a week, regardless of whether she worked or not; I don't know whether this means $1k bare minimum or $1k in addition to the episodes she did. I'm sure that the other actors were paid less.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

David

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:06:36 AM »
Louis Edmonds, RIP, told me years ago that he got $250 per show, same with Terry Crawford.

Joan, I think, was actually paid $500 per show, but the three per week guarantee is correct.

David

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:14:43 AM »
I've only heard $300, but that was only from one source, so there's the possibility that that was incorrect, or that I'm misremembering it.

The fact that Louis Edmonds and Terry Crawford were paid the same amount is suprising to me. I would have thought that Edmonds would have been paid considerably more than Crawford.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:06 AM »
John Karlen, at the one and only Fest I ever attended, jokingly told the audience that while most everyone was paid with a contract, "I was paid with a handshake."

Gerard

David

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
I think $250 per show was the standard pay most of them got.
But remember, $250 then was like $1,000 today.

Bennett got more because of her movie star status,.
Frid began at the $250 rate, but got a raise early on because of what he did for the show.

Brian Kellow's book, The Bennetts: An Acting Family, verifies my error: La Bennett got $333 per show, three show a week guarantee.

Crawford told me that she asked for~~and got~~$300 per show to play Edith Collins, but got $250 per as Beth.

David

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 03:46:39 AM »
I read in one of Craig's books, that GH asked Louis what Dan was paying him and it kind of turned him off to GH. 

I wouldn't say it "turned him off GH" they'd known each other for twenty years plus.  Louis was a southern gentleman who just didn't discuss those things.  It makes a good anecdote though.
Julia99

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 04:12:18 AM »
Yep it was a good one.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:21 AM »
I am sure JF, JB, and GH probably made more than the others.  Possibly Louis too.  I read in one of Craig's books, that GH asked Louis what Dan was paying him and it kind of turned him off to GH.  He was touchy about money for those who have read his BIO.

Frid wound up making more than the standard rate but not that much more.  The reason he, and other actors, went out on the publicity junkets on weekends was because it was very lucrative for the actors.  Also, remember that actors who were born into a more old-fashioned world don't discuss what money they make, their private lives, etc.  It's considered rude to ask. 

Nancy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:06:01 PM »
Well I was by no means trying to make it sound like GH and LE didn't like each other. [ghost_cool]