Author Topic: Count Petofi's glasses  (Read 788 times)

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Count Petofi's glasses
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:28:32 AM »
I was watching some dark shadows with a friend of mine and we had a discussion about Petofi's glasses I found interesting. These glasses were THICK, as Thayer David's eyes look enormous when he wears them. I'm not sure if anyone has ever put glasses like these on, when you don't need them, but they are very uncomfortable. Your vision is really blurry, it makes you feel dizzy, and gives you a headache. Not to mention, it causes long term damage to your eyes.

So did Thayer David need such thick glasses, or did he walk around barely able to see anything just for the sake of the character? That is devotion, lol.. I suppose it's also possible that the glasses were fake, but they do appear to magnify his eyes considerably, so I thought they were real.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Count Petofi's glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »
I always figured they were fake, a prop, and maybe things like that were even designed by optometrists so they wouldn't impare or otherwise harm vision.  They did at that perfect touch to make Petofi all that extra creepy.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
They did make his eyes look huge!  [ghost_blink]  When we were kids we called them 'coke bottle lenses'.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »
Optomestrists don't have any magic formula to keep lenses that are wrong for someone's vision from hurting.    If it didn't hurt it would at least influence his vision to go out of whack.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:47:15 PM »
Maybe Thayer David wore the glasses only while his scenes were actually being taped.  That would cut the time down to under 20 minutes.  He could have had a dummy pair that he wore during rehearsals.