Author Topic: Take a journey to speaking correctly  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Take a journey to speaking correctly
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
I always enjoy Don R. Vaughan's blog. I particularly enjoy it whenever he attempts to encourage people to speak correctly (sadly, an often all too quickly slipping away practice  [ghost_sad]). And I especially enjoy it whenever he does so with DS as a prime example of correct speech to which we should aspire.  [ghost_cool]

Check out: Take a journey to speaking correctly

(And the answer to the mystery word:[spoiler]baleful[/spoiler]is indeed a wonderful description of some of the DS characters. It's a shame common use of the word seems to have slipped out of favor. But perhaps we should strive to use it more here on the forum.  [ghost_wink])

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Take a journey to speaking correctly
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »
I'm working on it.    I'm trying to weed out all the split infinitives.    It's not that I think people should express themselves uniformly, and breaking the rules is sometimes useful, but I want to have it firmly in my mind what the rules are, so that I know when I'm breaking them.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:34:21 AM »
Does he provide the answer to the mystery word at some point?  I got it and then was able to check it out here, but other readers wouldn't have this resource!   [ghost_smiley]
Josette

Offline JoeNathan

• A sedative? Why, yes, I'd LOVE a sedative!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:09:17 AM »
I live near Jackson, MS and always read his column.  He seems to mention DS pretty regularly.
Dark Shadows Rocks!