Author Topic: Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?  (Read 4872 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Will the "Original" fans accept a new movie?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 12:47:28 AM »
I am looking forward to the new movie(s). I am one of the original fans.

Remakes are something that always cause me to expect the worst but DS is different. One of the unusual things about DS is the use of parallel time. In the world of DS different stories could take place at the sametime. So the new movie(s) could be very different and still be part of DS. I'm hoping for new collectables, new novels, maybe a real music box will be released and not just a toy one. As for new fans, DS could never get big enough for me. I'd be happy if it became the new Star Wars.

As for it's effect on the original, there have been many, many Frankenstein movies and everytime one comes out the fans compare it to the original Karloff film. So even if "mainstream" movie fans don't know about the original, the fans will and they won't forget it. Even before 13 Ghost (the remake) came out "mainstream" movie fans didn't know who William Castle was, before "The Mummy" (the remake) came out they didn't know that Karloff played the part, but in both cases the real fans did, and still do.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »
Any fan that doesn't embrace this movie, even if it is with reservations, is off their rocker. It'll most definitely bring in new fans to the DS lore and legacy, and will undoubtedly increase the potential for future projects of a DS nature. I know that it will be hotly debated before and after its release (it already has been) and that some people will absolutely hate it. But that's a fandom for you: some love it, others hate it. Its never all in one category.

One thing I am fearful of, however, is audience pandering. Others have already spoken about this. I just don't want it to be suped up with drama, action, and special effects to please today's target audience. I have no doubt that at least one of those things will be heightened anyway, but hopefully its not something that will bring down the film. Let's face it, a slow-building, thematic film is not popular these days.

Oh, and the other thing I have nightmares about is having to eventually hear that "Johnny Depp is the first Barnabas Collins." Oh. The. Horror.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 03:06:12 AM »
From what I know about him, Tim Burton probably doesn't give anywhere close to a damn, or a rat's ass, or anything else one could give in such a situation, about a mainstream audience. He's either going to produce a faithful adaptation of the series or make it totally his own wacky thing. Personally, I hope for the first one.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
Personally I'm just not interested in revivals and sequels.  I love the original show because of the specific characters and the actors who played them, the chemistry between those characters / actors, the atmosphere, the sets, the time in which it was made (which can't be duplicated today), etc.  They can make some new show with characters of the same names, roughly similar plots etc, but it's completely different. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »
I am with you Brandon and Goober!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how they work in the inevitable (given that all movies today seem to be made for audiences aged 13-17) toilet humor, given that the original series never even had so much as a hint of a washroom.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 03:00:13 AM »
If your serious, give Johnny and Tim a little bit more credit.  This is Johnny Depp.  He didn't even get that famous until Pirates.  I personally love EVERYTHING ELSE he has done more than Pirates.  He is a character actor.   Perfect for DS. I would say this movie will be more targeted towards 18-49 range.  And also the original audience.  JMO
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 05:32:15 AM »
Depp was a leading superstar long before PIRATES not only because can he pull off any role he sets his mind too, but the man also makes good choices. I'm sure Depp will perform well in any capacity he chooses, he's not the one I'm worried about. Burton is the wild card. Johnny is a fan from way back, and it doesn't seem a stretch to imagine that Burton is too. If Burton understands DS aesthetic from personal experience, and Johnny's enthusiasm and good taste rub off on him, this could be a great film. Fans of Ed Wood and his moviess nearly unanimously agree that ED WOOD is a beautiful and heartfelt tribute that perfectly captures the strange spirit of Ed's life and work, and Wood was an obscure z-filmmaker whose life and work mirror a lot of the same trappings as DS. From what I gather a lot of died in the wool Burton fans consider ED WOOD his finest film. I'm not a huge Burton fan, so I can't comment on that, but I'm a fanatic of Ed Wood's, and I don't think ED WOOD could've been more perfect. Depp and Burton were absolutely spot-on with ED WOOD. If they can pull off something like that again, this could be great. If not it could be terrible. Eiither way or in between, I don't care as long as iNODS gets restored.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
Retzev, the final clause of your last post completely sums up my feelings about the new Depp/Burton film project.

Still, I wish everyone involved all the best.

G.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »
Seriously, I'm more excited about the potential DVD releases and restorations of the original movies. I saw the first movie thanks to Amazon Unbox's broadband video rentals and saw NoDS on VHS but was too young to really appreciate it. Owning either one, especially in their original, restored forms (or as close as humanly possible), would make me very pleased.

Though it's not one I care to see again right away like some of his others, I do feel that Ed Wood is Burton's absolute best film. Plus it has my ideal Julia (Juliet Landau) in it, so at least I can watch that to see Depp and Landau after Helena Bonham Carter gets cast as Julia. [ghost_tongue2]
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
I would love Juliet Landua as Julia however not Helena B C.  NO!! [ghost_tongue]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »
Johnny is a fan from way back, and it doesn't seem a stretch to imagine that Burton is too.

He is.  He said in a recent interview for Horrorhound mag that DS "drove a nail into his brain" when he was a kid (or something along those lines) and that it had quite an effect on him.  He also mentioned his interest in directing a DS movie, and said he's talked to Depp about it.

Ed Wood is a great film.  I forgot about that one when responding to your other post. 

And yes, I agree, whatever happens with the new DS movie I hope NODS is restored!   

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 04:30:17 PM »
Saw this subject and thought to reply as: "yes, of course".  Since the 2004 never made it to TV or the theater, I'd like to see this project finished and on the big screen.  Since Johnny Depp was an original fan of Dark Shadows and always wanted to play Barnabas Collins, I say, "give him a chance".  I think he'd be good.  Now IMO it's a question of what the screenplay writers and director do with the script.  I hope Johnny Depp has a say!

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
I hope Johnny Depp has a say!

Considering he's one of the producers, I'm pretty sure he does.  [ghost_wink]