Author Topic: Virtual Collinwood: DS as a Video Game  (Read 3309 times)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Collinwood: DS as a Video Game
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 03:48:23 AM »
That's why I've never gotten into the original Final Fantasies or any other old-school RPGs, though I am waiting for EarthBound to hit the VC, just to try it. I never really liked the way that many RPGs, Japanese and Western alike, required lots of leveling up and micromanagement. It was a bit thrilling at first; wandering into a new town, seeing all there was to see, buying the new weapons; after I realized basically the entire game was like that, I simply quit. FF6 was better than FF1 and FF2, but not enough to hold my interest. And in others, the micromanagement was what killed me. Fire Emblem, for example. The fact that party members who fall in battle are gone for good is simply infuriating to me. It's like you're playing a chess tournament and someone says to you, "Hey, you can't do that. You lost that rook in the last game. It's not yours to use anymore."

That's why I feel that a more open-ended and free RPG would be a better choice. In the Elder Scrolls games, you get a large world to explore, free of restrictions and boundaries. You can choose how your character fights, how they talk, what they react to; you can basically write a story by living it. And it's all very open. As long as you keep the difficulty level moderately low, the few occasions where key story characters can die are not hard to do with all your friends alive. Jauffre's not going to die unless you're careless with him or you do the deed yourself. For example, Barnabas could use a bit more psychic power than we saw on the show and see, "Oh, this errand I'm going to do for someone puts Roger's life in danger. Am I going to just do it and let Roger die, or am I going to save him?" Or the player could simply ambush Roger, turn him into a vampire, and have him kill everyone in town. Player-driven experience is the best way to experience Dark Shadows as a video game, and I think that can best be done as a point-and-click adventure or a free-form RPG. Other genres are definitely viable, but wouldn't let us do what many of us have always wanted to do: walk into Collinsport and unravel all of its many secrets.

Oh, and if anyone wants a taste of The Elder Scrolls to see a bit of what I'm talking about, the games are, in order: Arena (1991, T, DOS, available for free download at elderscrolls.com), Daggerfall (1994, M, DOS), Morrowind (2002, T, Windows 98+/Xbox), and Oblivion (2006, M [formerly T], Windows XP+/360/PS3).

EDIT: My first topic and it turns into a popular topic within a week. I expected to only get a few posts on here. I've made topics on far more popular subjects on boards with many more active members that have crashed and burned. I'm quite pleased with this.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 01:21:17 AM »
Perhaps I spoke too soon about having a popular topic. I know we haven't exhausted all the possibilities yet. Even though it would make the game ridiculously hard to program, it would be absolutely fantastic if all you had to do to play as someone would be walk over to them and push a button. Go from Barnabas to Carolyn to Angelique to Julia in just a few quick button pushes, along with the ability to utilize their unique dialogues and skills. Although, Carolyn's unique skills are a bit hard to come up with. The ability to get more bang for your buck at stores by maxing out Elizabeth's credit card, maybe?

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
With Carolyn your objective would be a to dance your tushy off at the Blue Whale with other guys, making Joe jealous, and to bring home destestable guys like Buzz so that you can prove that you are your own person to your mother.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:44:22 PM »
I can see the Xbox 360 version going *ding* "Achievement Unlocked: Annoy Elizabeth with Horrible Dates for Carolyn 15 Times."

A dancing mini-game is a funny idea. Even the characters who initially seem the most worthless in video game form drip with potential. Perhaps Sam could let you play mini-games where you have to paint whilst trying to shake off a hangover. [ghost_azn]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »
Don't get too excited, as this all depends on what I have the ability to do, and I need to look into the matter further, but I'm considering developing a DS game on BioWare's Aurora engine, for free release, naturally.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
Okay, the DS Aurora project is definitely not happening. I could probably do it, but I tried playing some of the games created on it, and found them to be very, very boring. If I ever do decide to create a free DS game on any engine, I'll be sure to let the users of the forum know.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 01:39:35 AM »
Sounds like fun.... now, what about marketing, promotion and funding?   [ghost_wink]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 01:44:40 AM »
None. It would have been just a fan-made free tribute. I can't very well make one to sell, as that would infringe upon just about every copyright law in the book.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 01:00:26 AM »
I've recently started playing Knights of the Old Republic, and I love it. If a Dark Shadows game were made, it should play like KotOR. The game has a large world to explore, simple yet fun RPG gameplay, great writing, and many, many moral choices to make for your character. Perfect for a Dark Shadows game with Barnabas as the main character. Giving the player total control over the actions of Barnabas would make for a great DS game.