Author Topic: Does Anyone Here Watch Passions?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Does Anyone Here Watch Passions?
« on: June 02, 2002, 08:41:49 PM »
Am I the only one here who watches the soap, Passions?

During one of the scenes Friday,  a little bit of the opening of DS was played in the background.  Pretty neat huh?

I am not hooked on this soap, MUCH!  hahahaha

A DS Forums fan got me hooked, have him to blame ...hahahahaha  NOT!
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Here Watch Passions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 08:53:30 PM »
Am I the only one here who watches the soap, Passions?

During one of the scenes Friday,  a little bit of the opening of DS was played in the background.  Pretty neat huh?

I am not hooked on this soap, MUCH!  hahahaha

A DS Forums fan got me hooked, have him to blame ...hahahahaha  NOT!

Sorry to say, Donna, but I did start Passions when it first came on. It had been hyped as the "new" Dark Shadows of the 90's but I failed to see any similiarity.  

On the otherhand, I am a fan of Port Charles since they did have a vampire storyline not too long ago and they are just finishing an angel storyline that involves a portrait that comes to life.  The portrait is of a woman that was hung a few hundred years ago--townspeople thought she was a witch.

Check it out and see.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2002, 12:06:56 AM »

Sorry to say, Donna, but I did start Passions when it first came on. It had been hyped as the "new" Dark Shadows of the 90's but I failed to see any similiarity.  

On the otherhand, I am a fan of Port Charles since they did have a vampire storyline not too long ago and they are just finishing an angel storyline that involves a portrait that comes to life.  The portrait is of a woman that was hung a few hundred years ago--townspeople thought she was a witch.

Check it out and see.

Carol

Never got into Passions either, Donna,didn't see the resemblance  but did watch Port Charles and
like their current storylines don't watch too many of the other soaps because they all just keep repeating themselves over and over with new actors

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2002, 03:22:01 AM »
Hi there!....I am a HUGE fan of PASSIONS.I begin watching the show in January of 2000.It does have some similar-DS plots, but it involves too much humor so it isn't serious enough.I still enjoy watching it though.I saw the scenes with Timmy and Peggy(aka Norma) and I heard the Dark Shadows music also.I thought that was pretty cool.-Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

thom

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2002, 04:53:41 AM »
I must have ADS because I still watch Pash occasionally or tape it ....just to see how far the plot HAS NOT advanced. The show is mind numbingly stupid and slow. The creator James Reilly obviously wishes he was the heroine, Theresa LopezFitzgerald because he writes the show around this loser.

I actually loved Pash for the first year. Have every ep on tape from July 99 to Jan 01 then I gave up. They buried Sheridan alive. Ok, this sequence of events drove me nuts. Ethan and his fiancee Gwen had an engagement party in Sept. that lasted until Halloween. Then the next day Sheridan was 'killed' but her funeral was held on XMAS Eve!!!! It was three days that started in Sept. and ended around XMAS. I'd have hated to be the Wardrobe Mistress on that show for the way the clothes must have smelled!!

The gimmick of the Wacky Witch Tabitha and her sidekick 'doll' Timmy was priceless and provided Pash with most of it sbest moments as they were the town greek chorus but the addition of soap vet Robin STrasser(who when asked about comparing DS to Pash said DS was great and thought out well, I think she was making a pointed reference to Pash NOT BEING SO) as witch Hecuba was a snooze. Even worse, the show's best young actress, Taylor Anne Mountz who had a goth look going as neglected teen Kay Bennett left the show, probably hoping she'd never have to put Pash on her resume. If stupid creator Reilly had focused the show on Kay- making her a teen witch ala Angelique - he might have had a hit but he foolishly has kept the plot locked on the horrible actress Lindsay Korman who seems only to be able to squinch her face, blubber her lips and whine.

Offline Catbert

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2002, 07:24:54 AM »
I've heard about Passions being similar to Dark Shadows but I've seen Port Charles and that is the show that  reminds me of Dark Shadows. It has the same New England feel and it had vampires and now they have angels.  Port Charles does their stories in 13 week-arcs also.

The main difference I see is that Port Charles' vampire was youthful. Jonathan Frid on DS wasn't in the bloom of youth but he was a hit on DS. Soap operas today emphasize youth to the extreme. Joan Bennett and Jonathan Frid probably wouldn't get roles today in a Dark Shadows-type of soap.  :'(

I think Joan Bennett was fabulous btw. I loved her as Naomi Collins and I like her as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.  :)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2002, 07:31:36 AM »
Donna, I tried to get into a few times, but really kind of lost interest in it.  To tell you the truth, I don't watch any soaps, but after hearing all the interesting things about that Port Charles soap, Im definetely gonna check that one out!  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2002, 09:13:15 PM »
Gee, I didn't mean to open up a can of worms here

I am not a regular watcher of Passions either.  I turn it on now and then, whenever I am home.  I usually just have the TV on for noise when I'm home alone.

In no way does it resemble DS to me.  I find it slow and a little boring.  Just happened to catch that one scene Friday.

I'm not a soap watcher either.  Not anymore at least.  I got out of the habit when I was going to college.  Didn't have the time to watch the tapes I would record.  I watched all the soaps on the AbC network at the time.  At least 3 of them, General Hospital, One Life To Live and All My Children.

Am going to check out Port Charles though after reading some of the posts here.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2002, 10:39:49 PM »
I've tried to watch Passions several times but it simply fails to hook my interest. It's no Dark Shadows, not by a long shot. That's too bad because it does have the potential to be. Unfortunately it suffers from some of the most horrific acting ever seen on television, due to the fact that like all soaps today it casts pretty young models who can't act their way out of a paper bag but look great. The writing is also on the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. JMO.

I did catch some of the "Tainted Love" storyline arc on Port Charles. Not too bad, nothing to write home about either. Here again the show suffers from severe youth-oriented obsession. Lots of pretty young people, not a lot of great acting. Didn't stick with the show after that storyline - in fact I stopped watching even before it ended.

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2002, 11:48:30 PM »
I started watching Passions at the beginning, but eventually lost interest due to the (mostly) poor acting and overly drawn out stories.  If the acting and the pacing improved, I think it does have the potential to be an interesting show.

As for Port Charles, I found the first supernatural storyline, Tainted Love, somewhat enjoyable, but subsequent stories have failed to hold my interest.  

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2002, 01:20:42 AM »
I tape Passions every day for my wife to watch.  Sometimes you can go weeks without watching and still not get lost, because the storylines move sooooo slowly.

I think the main difference between Dark Shadows and Passions is that Dark Shadows seemed to assume that the viewers have some intelligence, but Passions seems to treat everyone like they are eight years old.  Also Passions is a lot more tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't take it's stories that seriously.  

I haven't seen Port Charles, but maybe I can catch a little of it soon.  For now, I'll stick to my DS tapes!!!

deron

Offline ElizabethGrayson

• Junior Poster
  • Would you care to pet my dragon?
    • View Profile
    • Jen's Eclectic Corner...
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2002, 04:15:22 AM »
Sometimes I watch when I'm inbetween jobs...let's just say, I had my last job from November to March (Unfortunately I work as a temp so there's plenty of "inbetween Jobs" times in my life) so the last I watched it was October....the storylines were exactly the same in March as they were at Halloween....need I say more?

Anyway, sometimes I do.  Usually not.
Always remember you have the knowledge to do what's right, and the power to right what's done.
(Bill Sisler, "Fields of Honor")

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2002, 04:57:49 AM »
I've watched on and off.  It's very campy and I've often found it highly entertaining--particularly when Ben Marsters was on.  It definitely improved when they stopped focusing so much on the under 18s, but it would go up leaps and bounds if they would get rid of the attractive but talentless performers (I speak here of the entire Lopez-Fitzgerald clan and the hopelessly clueless Charity).

The DS angles are there.  The Cranes are clearly meant to be the Collinses.  Julian is Roger (albeit a much scarier, campier version).  I would venture that Kay is the poor man's younger Angelique with more of a conscience.  I suppose that would make Miguel Barnabas, except that Barnabas is a lot smarter than Miguel any day of the week.

The F/X although higher in quality than those on DS are sort of ineptly employed.  The best use of them was when they had these statues of angels come to life (shudder).

They've used the DS theme before, regrettably in that dorky ripoff of Psycho in drag.

Personally, I always get a kick out of the blind priest.  And I think it was worth my time to see Tabitha trying to pick up a department store Santa Claus a year or so ago.

Maybe I ought to start taping it again . . . it's not art by any means, but it usually makes me laugh.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2002, 04:55:41 AM »
:DI watch Passions every day and it is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen in my life. A crow(which was a man in a crow suit was going to kill little Timmy but he made the bird fly away by putting a toilet paper roll on his beak and later Tabitha a witch got into a fight with the crow and killed him and cooked him and ate him. A girl summoned up a demon from hell to take the place of another girl who is trapped in a block of ice. The demon wants to have sex with the girl's boyfriend and if it does the boy will die. You have got to watch it.  ;DPaul
Paul