Author Topic: Barney is dad but mommie?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Barney is dad but mommie?
« on: June 01, 2002, 06:35:02 PM »
I've noted its very overt and accepted that Barnabas is Adam's father figure but no one talks about Julia--who really created him being a mother figure. . wonder why they didn't talk about that more in the script or Grayson play upon that idea more. . .or is it too subtle for me?
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Barney is dad but mommie?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2002, 07:29:35 PM »
In my opinion very little is made of Julia being Adam's "mother" because she's astonishingly non-maternal.  She'd have to be standing next to Medea to look like a Good Mother.

Adam should have been adopted by Mrs. Johnson....she would have taught him some manners (like how to eat like a human being, for god's sake), and made him behave himself.  

But I think she also would have cared about his well being.  After all, she cared about Harry, didn't she?  And she WAS the one who sat with poor little David while he had the dream.  Yep, I could see her raising Adam.

Raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2002, 08:00:49 PM »
I've always considered Barnabas and Julia to be Adam's parents.  She protested when Barn wanted to destroy Adam iin his first moments of life, convincing him that THEY had done this and were responsible.  Although Barn and Jul don't maintain much in the way of parental control (leaving Adam with the jealous, tormenting Willie is a huge error), they brought Adam into the world and really should have done better by him.  

Julia has some maternal moments coming up in the show, in other storylines, but it's true--beyond the creation, Julia doesn't seem especially interested in Adam--he's more of a problem to be solved.  

However, neither Barnabas nor Julia expected Barnabas to live; only Adam was expected to survive.  And since they never did listen to Dr. Lang's tape, like their "son" has, it never occurred to them as a possibility--something that SHOULD have included in Lang's notebook outlining the experiment.  When did this possibility occur to Lang--in his death throes?

Love, Robin

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2002, 10:55:42 PM »
And since they never did listen to Dr. Lang's tape, like their "son" has, it never occurred to them as a possibility--something that SHOULD have included in Lang's notebook outlining the experiment.  When did this possibility occur to Lang--in his death throes?

Apparently....altho that's kinda ridiculous, but I guess that's DS for ya, hmm?

One thing I really cannot stand about this show is the lack of OBVIOUS continuity. Like Julia wanted 2 save Adam, Barney wanted 2 kill him; and then a few episodes later, Barney wanted 2 save him, and Julia was saying Adam was a beast and a monster....>.<;;;; drives me  crazy. I can deal with Carolyn's apparent bipolarness and mood swings, throwing cards around, and then telling Adam in a sweet voice that he's just like a little kid....but ARGGGG you'd think Barnabus and Julia were in enough episodes that all the writers would at least have some GRASP on the characters!!  >:( >:( >:( :P

I agree, Mrs Johnson would have made a better mother....judging from the way she yells @ Harry, she would CERTAINLY keep Adam in line!!  ;)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2002, 03:04:29 AM »
I guess i never considered any one Adam's "parents"
just Lang's creation! :o
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
think only one that really cared for him was Prof Stokes
who seemed to really like him(which i would have found hard!)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2002, 05:14:55 AM »
Barnabas and Julia are absentee foster parents who never should have gotten into the business of "Raising Adam", not to be confused with "Raising Arizona"--even those two did a better a job!

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 05:58:16 AM »
Hmmm, I think you raise an interesting point. Personally, I see Julia as being at least as maternal as Barn is paternal. ("That's nice, Adam, now I'll see you tomorrow.") The switching back and forth on wanting to kill him really doesn't bother me that much. Any couple with a difficult child could find themselves switching back and forth in that way, though hopefully not over such a drastic solution....I think Julia has been more responsible in her attitude about the life they created, as you would expect a woman to be.

On the other hand, they both should be sent to jail for using Willie as a babysitter!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 06:34:54 AM »
(T)hey both should be sent to jail for using Willie as a babysitter!

Yeah, but it's fun to watch.

Like a warped version of Wally & the Beaver... :)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...