Author Topic: When does each season begin and end?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
When does each season begin and end?
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »
I have tapes, which say nothing about at what poiint seasons start or stop.   By referring to the episode rather than episode numbers (which I don't have either) could someone tell me which moments are the first moments of season premieres, please?   I've assumed that the point at which DS went to color was one of these.

Did season endings or beginnings even matter to them?   Were they working so much throughout the year that they didn't get breaks between seasons?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: When does each season begin and end?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:20:53 AM »
magnus...

as out there as it was 'dark shadows' was a soap opera in format and soaps do not have "seasons" in the same way that prime-time series' do.

they run day in,day out throughout the entire year and do not go on 'hiatus' over holidays or during the summer.
they also never show reruns(excluding channels like 'soapnet' that exist for this purpose)and air new episodes every day monday-friday.

so d.s. can not be segmented by "seasons".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:27:26 AM »
Thanks... so how are the "seasons" chosen on the Caption This! and Fill-In The Blanks boards?   I noticed we just went to season three.   Do these "seasons" have anything to do with anything official on DS?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 12:29:17 AM »
I have tapes, which say nothing about at what poiint seasons start or stop.   By referring to the episode rather than episode numbers (which I don't have either) could someone tell me which moments are the first moments of season premieres, please?   I've assumed that the point at which DS went to color was one of these.

Did season endings or beginnings even matter to them?   Were they working so much throughout the year that they didn't get breaks between seasons?

I don't know, but they certainly cared when they were Friday episodes. Next time you're watching some, look at what day of the week the most suspenseful points happened -- it's very often a Friday.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:35:49 AM »
The only breaks the actors got were when they didn't appear on the show.  For example when Elizabeth was  presumed dead, she was really off on a vacation or doing another project. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:47:49 AM »
The Caption This! and Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) boards are divided by years (hence Caption This! - Year 1, Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Year 2, etc.). DS debuted on June 27th, 1966, so year #1 goes from June 27, 1966 (Ep #1) through June 26th, 1967 (Ep #261), and year #2 goes from June 27, 1967 (Ep #262) through June 26, 1968 (Ep #522), and so forth.  [ghost_smiley]

And so far as days off go, with the exception of rare occasions like the NABET Strike and when they converted over to color cameras, the only weekdays when DS didn't tape was on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
I don't know, but they certainly cared when they were Friday episodes. Next time you're watching some, look at what day of the week the most suspenseful points happened -- it's very often a Friday.

And for that reason it bums me that the Beginning Collections are released as sets of 35 episodes.

9 episodes per disc? No thanks, it's much easier to tell which day of the week you're watching with 10 episodes per disc.

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
IMDB lists seasons for Dark Shadows.  I daresay it has something to do with how that data base is set up.  I haven't tried to figure out what is supposed to constitute a season.