Author Topic: Famous DS Fans  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Famous DS Fans
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »
I saw the ultra-creepy Michael Alig biopic with that grown-up Home Alone (we always called it "homo alone" back in the day) kid in the title role and I remember whispering to a friend as we watched, "Macauley really ISN'T acting here, is he?"  SCARY.

Hadn't heard that Alig was a DS fan, but it kind of figures.  As for Warhol, Candy, et al., I've heard that they watched regularly in the Factory with everyone stoned ... blitzed out of their minds.  I often think of that now whenever they turn on the psychedelic effects and Grayson intones "Find the center of the light."

There have been several mentions on these boards about Quentin Tarantino (who I guess is pretty much washed up now?) being a huge DS fan and appearing on those late night chat shows with his Barnabas cane.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »
Gale Sondergaard and Neil Simon visited the studio at different times.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
I don't think Quentin Tarantino is washed up, Grindhouse was really fun. Apparently at the moment he's working on a WWII period movie.

David

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »
Fritz Lang, who directed Joan Bennett in four 1940s movies, visited the studio & coached Joan
on her DS role.

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »
I read somewhere that Jackie Onassis was a big DS fan.

I know Madonna liked DS while growing up. 

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
Careful, G.  People said John Travolta was washed up too about twenty years ago.   [snow_laugh]

Nancy

There have been several mentions on these boards about Quentin Tarantino (who I guess is pretty much washed up now?)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 08:08:32 PM »
Fritz Lang, who directed Joan Bennett in four 1940s movies, visited the studio & coached Joan
on her DS role.

Really?   That's pretty cool.  Let's consider that a placeholder until I think of something interesting to say.  I'm waking up right now.

Re the Warhol crowd... I have no life.   I have not done a damn thing.    I realize that all we're talking about is some people getting blitzed and watching DS, but I guess I'm imagining people off somewhere living cool Bohemian lives while... I just woke up and already I'm on the verge of complaining about my life.    Well, I've got the DS, and a TV, now all I need are the drugs, I guess... oh yes, and other humans....

Tarantino:  He doesn't make films often.   Several years can go by between films for him.    That's not the same as being washed up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Re Tarantino:  I checked on the IMDB and he currently has a film in production.  So, no, he's not washed up; just a laughingstock among hipsters in Cambridge, Mass.  (a fate he shares with many among the great and good).

I'm sure that Fritz Lang only stopped by the DS set because Joan Bennett was a friend of his (he called her "lazy legs" and apparently the nickname stuck to the point where they used it in, I think, Scarlet Street).  KLS in her first book which is now long out of print said that when Lang was visiting the set, he "made a few lighting suggestions" which were instantly used.  I thought THAT was very cool.

G.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 12:57:45 AM »
KLS in her first book which is now long out of print said that when Lang was visiting the set, he "made a few lighting suggestions" which were instantly used.  I thought THAT was very cool.

Very cool indeed.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey