Author Topic: Congratulations, MagnusTrask!!  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations, MagnusTrask!!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 02:05:26 AM »
 Yo Magnus, Congrat's...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »
Well, I know I posted a reply to this yesterday, and I saw the finished post afterwards, so I don't know how it disappeared!!

Anyway, Magnus, in case you missed it, a belated

Congratulations!!  Keep up the good work!!   [cheerleader]
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
Well, I know I posted a reply to this yesterday, and I saw the finished post afterwards, so I don't know how it disappeared!!

Responses are on the Testing 1, 2, 3 board in the topic Posting Problems.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »
Thanks Elmont, Josette....   

I think 5/6 of my posts are probably in the captions area, where I'm not sure anyone goes, except three or four people.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
in the captions area, where I'm not sure anyone goes, except three or four people.
Not according to the page view totals.   [snow_wink]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
Congrats Magnus Way to way Buddy!
                 Love Anne  [snow_kiss]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
I think 5/6 of my posts are probably in the captions area, where I'm not sure anyone goes, except three or four people.
I keep thinking: "Those caramel apples turned out to be good for something, after all!"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
Ooooh, I am so jealous! [snow_cry]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »
I keep thinking: "Those caramel apples turned out to be good for something, after all!"

Pray elucidate....

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 07:29:19 PM »
Quote from: MagnusTrask
Pray elucidate....

Hmm...maybe there weren't all that many...
...caramel apples...
...caramel apples...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

The topic views totals listed on each board's Message Index pages (and on the Stats page) are deceiving. For reasons known only to the SMF developers, these totals are added to when members/guests open topics from each board's Message Index pages to read new posts, but not necessarily when the "Recent Posts" or "Show unread posts since last visit" or "Show new replies to your posts" features are used to read new posts. With those features, the only way a topic's total views will be increased is if a new post in the topic is, say, replied to or, in the case of posts with attachments, opened to see the attachments. It's all very odd.  [snow_undecided]  And I've noticed in the Who's Online feature that many people use the Recent/Show features to catch up on new posts, so the topic views totals aren't really an accurate reflection of how many times topics are actually being read. And as Midnite alluded to, the forum amasses thousands of page views every day. They're a definite indication that far more people are reading posts than we might think simply by going by the topic views totals (especially considering that 10 or more topics can appear per page with the Recent/Show features). The only problem with page views is there's no way to discern from that total what topics are being read on any given day...

And now we've gone OT again.  [snow_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 08:15:47 PM »
Yes, the topic was congratulating me for my obsessive posting, so let's get back to that!   (j/k)

I followed that, I think, MB.   Midnite thought the numbers were high, but I never look at view totals, because on the board I started to talk about undiagnosed medical conditions, absolutely no one but me ever posts, and I'm practically begging for them to sometimes (but with dignity...!).    It's a separate mystery in itself why people join and never post once, but each and every post gets large numbers of views (way out of proportion to my small number of silent members), supposedly, and yet, I'm alone there.     With those numbers, some tiny segment of that huge crowd would say something occasionally.

I decided that the numbers came from automatic things scanning people's sites for whatever reason.... homeland security, spam research, search engines looking sites over to list them, other things I wouldn't understand.   So, there and here, the numbers may not mean anything.     I could do a post on my board entitled "I like peanut butter" and it would get big viewing numbers.   I think.    Or, I have a huge, appreciative, totally silent audience over there....

Anyway, I like interaction.    It seems it's MB, Midnite, Lydia, and me, which is great, but I wish the rest of the board hadn't lost interest.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »
It's a separate mystery in itself why people join and never post ... With those numbers, some tiny segment of that huge crowd would say something occasionally.

Not necessarily. The Internet term lurker was coined just for those people. They'll join Internet groups/lists (here they'll often join simply to take advantage of the members' features like the ability to view attachments and the use of things like the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature), but they honestly have no desire whatsoever to take part in the conversations. They just like to watch, er, read.  [snow_wink]

I decided that the numbers came from automatic things scanning people's sites for whatever reason.... ... spam research, search engines looking sites over to list them, other things I wouldn't understand.   So, there and here, the numbers may not mean anything.

We actually have that type of stuff banned here. They've tried to access the forum, but every time a new search bot shows up, we're automatically alerted to their presence and we ban them.

Or, I have a huge, appreciative, totally silent audience over there....

That could very well be.  [snow_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
I realized it might not be clear that some of what I was saying was about another board, that I started, in order to talk about my medical nightmare and others that other people may have.   I tried to insert a comma that would have clarified, but the time for edits ran out.

Over on that other board, it's highly unlikely that the silent viewers are all lurkers.    It's a nice thought, though, MB.   

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
[occasion18] Wow - Congrats! [occasion18]

I don't post as much anymore due to job search, work and other issues...I do check in to read when I have time though, and appreciate the posts.

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*