Author Topic: Barnabas and Julia as "parents" and teachers  (Read 943 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Barnabas and Julia as "parents" and teachers
« on: May 24, 2002, 09:55:21 AM »
It always irritates me the way they seem to spend almost no time with Adam, then leave him to Willie and expect him to do what's right!  When Barnabas spent a couple of minutes with him, giving him food and then left, he said, "I'll be back tomorrow,  my first reaction was, what else does he have to do?  One would certainly expect them to spend most of their time with him, working with him.  And, again, what else do they have to do?  (Julia never seems to go to Windcliff.)

However, apparently they ARE doing more teaching than we realize and we're just not seeing it.  Barnabas asked how he learned about using a spoon and, later, the napkin and whether Julia had taught him.  Barnabas told Julia that he had spent the day with him and then left to get him food.  So, perhaps it wasn't just those couple of minutes.  When Adam said, "music," again my initial reaction was to wonder how he had learned that word.  Then Julia said something about him remembering her teaching it to him.  So, perhaps they aren't as bad as we think.

(I'm not saying they're good, but not as bad as it would initially appear!)

I was also surprised at Barnabas preparing to return to Collinwood as Julia was treating Adam's shoulder.  They know how he can react, especially to pain.  She's treating a bullet wound.  One could reasonably expect that she could happen to hurt him and immediately be subjected to an attack.  But, as soon as he seems to be calmed down, Barnabas is ready to leave her alone with him!
Josette

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas and Julia as "parents" and teachers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 02:49:42 PM »
Another case of poor parenting.  I guess Barnabas just doesn't know any better.  Those of us who are parents know that even when your child is just getting a shot you sit on the other side and hold their hand.  Let's face it Barnabas is not the warm fuzzy type.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 05:18:44 PM »
Another case of poor parenting.  I guess Barnabas just doesn't know any better.  Those of us who are parents know that even when your child is just getting a shot you sit on the other side and hold their hand.  Let's face it Barnabas is not the warm fuzzy type.  

Birdie

quess barnabas is just starting to warm up after the Big Chill Birdie! LOL

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2002, 05:43:34 AM »

quess barnabas is just starting to warm up after the Big Chill Birdie! LOL

jennifer

You have to remember that parenting was an entirely different affair in the 18th century!
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2002, 06:12:59 AM »
As was often the case with "B"'s generation. . he left when the going might've got tuff with Adam. . .left him behind with Mommie. . "oh she can handle him, she created him didn't she". . yea yea, remember he almost strangled her when she gave him a shot. . . B is a bad parent, J ain't too good neither but I did admire how she handled the whole "hand squeeze" incident. . she didn't yell or scream at her "little" darling. . .LOL! :-/
Julia99