Author Topic: Can use your help, We are doing great!  (Read 23931 times)

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Can use your help, We are doing great!
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2007, 03:04:57 PM »
We passed Cleo, and, are no longer the Lowest of the Highest!

We will get our second banner, tomorrow, and, were the 7th highest voting show, yesterday. Our recovery hasn't been as strong, yet, as other shows have had, but, we have room to get back quite a bit of voting power.

Stats, analysis, and projections (including Moonlight's pass of 3 shows) at:

http://tinyurl.com/2j3otg

Yours in the cause,

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=
The enjoyment of any good thing is only enhanced by sharing it with others.

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »
Back over 400 daily votes, and, a shiny, new banner, for 60,000 votes!

And, this is still in the midst of the holiday slump. That means that, though our voting numbers will likely fall, again, through New Years, they should go even higher afterwards!

Voting statistics, analysis, and, projections (including Moonlight, which passed another 3 shows, yesterday!) can be viewed at:

http://tinyurl.com/2jbmsb

Yours in the cause,

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »
i don't mean to insult anybody's 'show'(and god knows ours has a "camp" reputation)but many of the shows on this poll surprised me...

i knew shows like 'dr.who' and 'star trek'(and d.s.)had wildly devoted "cult" fanbases but do some people really consider 'scarecrow and mrs.king' to be the "best show ever"?

there are several others that left me a bit perplexed as well.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
Remember that the poll isn't a real "poll" in the sense that the numbers represent real figures (many individual votes).  All that's required is a  group of about 10-20 fans of one show to vote once an hour, every hour all day and night if they want to make a show get into the top 40 or make a good showing on the list.  I don't think there are tons of people out there who think some of the shows listed are the best ever. I have to admit I've never heard of some of the shows listed.

nancy

i don't mean to insult anybody's 'show'(and god knows ours has a "camp" reputation)but many of the shows on this poll surprised me...

i knew shows like 'dr.who' and 'star trek'(and d.s.)had wildly devoted "cult" fanbases but do some people really consider 'scarecrow and mrs.king' to be the "best show ever"?

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »

*Smiles.* Your question is quite reasonable, mscbryk.

It's one often heard about the TV Vote poll. Usually, though, it's leveled by sci-fi fans at the fans of the westerns that have done so well; they just don't realize that the TV watchers of the early days of television have a strong, nostalgic attachment to the shows with which they grew up, just like Dark Shadows fans do.

As for some of the other shows in the Top 40, such as Lexx, Cleopatra 2525, and others of more questionable merit, well, many of them got where they are in the poll, simply because their fans caught wind of TV Vote early. Now, in the face of other fandoms come late to TV Vote, they are gradually falling off the leader board, as did Hercules, which, about 22 months ago, was #16 (though, in truth, relative to Cleopatra 2525, for example, Hercules was a masterpiece of television art!).

In comparison, Dark Shadows, which we voters have only been organized in advancing out of the Nominations poll for a little over a year (where it had lain at 519 votes, with only one vote all the previous year), is a fandom powerhouse. Not only has the organized effort of the Dark Shadows voters achieved an enormous feat in a relatively short span of time (the poll, itself, is over 5 years old), but, once visible in the Top 40, it has enjoyed an sudden surge in votes from long-time fans who hadn't realized it was there.

One vote-leader for Battlestar Galactica (2004) was delighted to add his votes; he stated the same story we've all heard, over and over: He ran home from school to watch. Well, he wasn't the only one; Dark Shadows got a jump of over 100 votes per day, once in the Top 40. As well, now that Dark Shadows is on the radar, so to speak, it is generating a lot of interest and curiosity from fans of other, even wildly-unrelated shows, which helps to expand the fandom.

So, while it is easy to dismiss the TV Vote poll as meaningless, it has never been intended to act as a scientific poll. Rather, it is a barometer of Fan Power, the devotion of fans who are willing to vote, up to once per hour, to see their favorite show advanced among the others. Current projections show Dark Shadows, a 41 year old show, destined to reach the #6 spot, among a pack of more recent shows supported by equally devoted fandoms.

Not bad, in my opinion, and, with the added effect of drawing new interest to the show, entirely worth the effort, never mind the fact that those of us voting have had a lot of fun, along the way.

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »
If you look at the TV_Vote page, you'll see the banner of 3 shows, Dark Shadows being one of them.  The infamous shot of Barnabas' arrival to Collinwood, asking Mrs. Johnson to announce to Mrs. Stoddard that her cousin from England, Barnabas Collin, is here to see her, is the chosen picture.  For those who try to see it after the banner is removed, here is a link of a copy of it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dsbarnabasfan/animated/dsbanner122807.gif
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2007, 12:54:01 AM »

I agree, I've never heard of some of the top 40 shows, let alone many of the nominated ones.  And since some of those shows aren't on my list of favorites, I don't vote for them.  The vampire shows, I love such as BTVS and Angel, I do.  I like Firefly, B5, Farscape, CSI and House so they get my votes too.
 [8_2_74]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »
I'm not surprised to see Scarecrow and Mrs. King in the top 40.  On www.fanfiction.net, it has 1060 items of fan fiction listed, whereas Dark Shadows has only 158.  Buffy has 31,955, which I find incredible.  I'd like to know how many distinct plots there are in those 31,955 items, but I'm not willing to read all of them to find out.

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »
Fandom is a funny thing... Fanfic is an extension of that. As for the sheer volume of Buffy fics, though I've never read them, I have come across discussions online, and, they apparently derive not only from the large number of episodes aired, but, also, from a thriving crossover palette, including, among other things, Harry Potter.

Lots of material for a long time to come.

We remained above 400 daily votes, despite the weekend slump! Dark Shadows was the #7 highest-voting show, yesterday.

We're holding up well. Just a couple more days to take Alias!

Stats, analysis, and, projections (including Moonlight, which passed two more shows, yesterday!) at:

http://tinyurl.com/24mq7w

Yours in the cause,

-Raycheetah  =^[.]^=

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
So CLOSE! We are just over a day away from overtaking Alias; assuming my ISP doesn't act up, and, with the return of Lori, we can hope to get back enough votes to accomplish that by tomorrow!

Stats, analysis, and, projections (including Moonlight, which passed 2 shows, yesterday!) can be viewed at:

http://tinyurl.com/2gsep8

Yours in the cause,

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »
We'll be #38 for New Years!

Just 13 votes to pass Alias!

Yesterday, Dark Shadows tied with powerhouse Jericho for 5th highest voting show!

I've posted stats and projections for our next target, Northern Exposure (and, Moonlight, which passed another 2 shows, yesterday), at:

http://tinyurl.com/27ja9e

Yours in the cause,

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=