Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0387  (Read 1133 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0387
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0387
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 06:28:39 AM »
Good heavens!  Never before today's episode did I notice that Angelique wore earrings! Or that she had pierced ears!  Abigail must have been even more fixated on Vicky than I thought, or else she'd have ripped those earrings right off of Angelique's ears.

It's amazing that I noticed the earrings, given how hard I was laughing at Angelique's performance.  I wonder if she would have dared to pour it on quite so thick if either the Countess or Andre had been around.

I believe this episode has the only occasion on which we see the back door of the Old House.  I wish we could go inside the door to see the kitchen!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »
Angelique's performance was fun to watch. [lghg] She sure knew how to fool Trask and Joshua! [ideag] Yes, indeed, it's too bad Vicki didn't take any lessons.  [sad3] I loved how Andre was so against Trask, and spoke his mind. [clap2] Of all the people for Nathan to see as he was leaving the  back door at Collinwood, it had to be the worst one - Angelique! [shkdg] Of course, she wouldn't keep the secret!  [sssh]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:08:01 AM »
I was waiting for the bolt of lightening to come out and strike Angelique. I never noticed the  earrings I have to look the next time I watch.

I would be re-miss to not point out the pants of the gentleman.  This is the first time I really noticed then Joshua's and Nathans pants were tight.  I am surprized it got past the censors.  Now maybe it was just the lighting. I guess that says where my mind is at.  :o

I also noticed that they covered the fireplace. Otherwise it wouldn't have looked new. Again they used the bright lights to make it look really new and not dark the way it usually does.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:05 PM »
Everyone has commented on Angelique's performance, but I find Trask's performance even more fun to watch. The way he interrogates Angelique is excellent!  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:58 AM »
I noticed a strange phenomenon that occurs while watchng these episodes.  When characters like Andre and Barnabas speak about the irrationality of believing in supernatural things like witches and then point out the absurdity of people like Trask for believing in them, we find ourselves cheering them on - until we realize that, in this context at least, Andre and Barnabas are actually wrong and Trask is right.  It creates a bit of a cognitive dissonance in the viewer.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:42:50 PM »
Roland, it sure does.  I'm watching 1840 right now, and going through the same thing.  The colonial laws against witchcraft are idiotic - except they're not!

And then I start thinking (always a bad idea)...so, witchcraft exists, but why should the law assume that all witchcraft is bad?  If Vicky used her supposed powers to cause droves of people to become ardent and sincere Trask devotees, how would Trask respond?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:39:17 PM »
I experience this too.    As for good and bad witches, I think, historically, Christian doctrine doesn't even allow for the possibility of good witches.  They're bad by definition.    What's important is motivation.    The need for scapegoats drives and sustains the assumption.    In Trask's time (really long before I guess), no one would have any use for the idea of witches, if they weren't evil. 

I don't know myself, but Wiccans will tell you about how Christianity demonized what was then a competing religion, in the Dark Ages, I guess.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor