Author Topic: wouldn't this have been great?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
wouldn't this have been great?
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
if the show had lasted longer they could have gone back in time to say like the 40's, 30's, 20's, etc.

it would have been interesting.  and this was the cast to do it too.

what a shame we'll never know.

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: wouldn't this have been great?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
Willie, I get goosebumps thinking of DS storylines taking place during those decades!

The 1920's: Jamison Collins is an adult & master of Collinwood. We would get to meet the woman Jamison married, the woman who became mother of Elizabeth & Roger. Maybe we would find out what happened to Nora Collins - did she become another one of Collinwood's unhappy spinsters?

Can't you picture Nancy Barrett & Donna McKechnie as flappers? Heck, McKechnie was one of Broadway's most gifted dancers -her character could have even danced the Charleston at the Blue Whale!

Somehow I think the Collins family would have been involved with bootlegging, especially with the Canadian border nearby!

1930's: Collinsport in the throes of the Depression & even the Collins family isn't immune to its economic hardships. Maybe this decade was when the Collins family began shutting down various wings of Collinwood to cut down on costs.

We would get to see Elizabeth as a young woman & Roger as a boy! Maybe we would find out the fate of their mother. I always imagined Mrs. Jamison Collins battling some sort of supernatural evil & sacrificing her own life to protect the lives of her children.

1940's: The death of Jamison Collins...Elizabeth becames the head of the family & their business empire...Paul Stoddard (I bet he avoided military service during WWII by shooting himself in the foot or some other cowardly act) & Jason McGuire plot to steal the Collins fortune when Elizabeth & Paul are married...heck, maybe we would FINALLY find out the truth about Victoria Winters' origin!

Jerry Lacy would have to be another incarnation of the Trask family - and this time around the Trask character could be a crummy Nazi spy.

Hmmm...just imagine how handsome Joel Crothers would have looked in uniform!

What supernatural events happened during those decades at Collinwood? What would draw Barnabas and Julia to travel through time to those eras? You would also have to allow room in the storylines for Quentin & Angelique to appear!

I also wished DARK SHADOWS had had a trip into the past during the Civil War era. I have always thought of Collinwood being on the Underground Railroad route with all those secret tunnels & secret rooms and, once again, with Canada in the vicinity. Maybe there would be a Southern branch of the Collins family "stranded" at Collinwood during the Civil War. Louis Edmonds & Nancy Barrett could have retrieved their Louisiana accents - how wonderful Edmonds would have been as a Southern gentleman & Barrett as a Southern belle!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:16:33 AM »
In my Charles Delaware Trollish version of what would've happened if DS had continued I had two storylines set in the 1940's.  One centered on a present-day (meaning 1970's) haunting of all of Collinsport by vengeful spirits that kill their prey by somehow filling their lungs with seawater, and the flash-back (no time travel) showed that Jamison Collins (whom I make a nefarious character), during WWII, was given a contract to build liberty ships, but did so very cheaply to maximize profits and one sank in a storm off of the coast from the shoddy construction, dooming the entire crew to a horrible, watery death.  The second centered on - finally - the parentage of Ficki (whom I have return in the persona of Alexandra Moltke, since she had nothing else better to do).  Also set in the 1940's, resplendent with the styles and fashions and most of the plot taking place in New York City with lots of big band swing music going along with Bob Colbert's score, Elizabeth is in the WAC's and meets again a young man she had met previously while crossing the Atlantic back in 1932 with her father, Jamison, and her very young brother, Roger, on the Ile de France (Jamison profited highly from Prohibition by hootch-running on his ships, and now that it was coming to an end, wanted to secure a contract to bring the finest French wine over to America on his ships), so there was another flashback to that time within the flashback.  Now, twelve years later, Elizabeth meets him again in NYC - he's a soldier getting ready to be shipped out.  They rekindle their teenage romance and, well, you know.  He ships out for the Normandie invasion and dies there and Elizabeth is, well, you know.  When her parents find out, they pull strings, get her out of the WAC's, hide her away in NYC until the baby is born in February 1945, is spirited away to a foundling home during that winter season with a note saying:  Her name is Victoria....

Gerard

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »
yes, and what would grayson hall or john karlen been?     perhaps john coudl have had a real serious part in this all......perhaps an elder loomis who was straight and narrow and possibly smuggling liquor.......

and grayson and thayer david could have been a married couple in the 40's perhaps trying to deviate things from the collinses......

ah, ratings schmatings.    they could have continuted.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:41:02 PM »
ah, ratings schmatings.    they could have continuted.

They certainly could've, and without repeating plots.  They could've resolved issues left hanging from previous storylines.  The could've come up with tons of new storylines.  I did.  My Charles Deleware Trollish version took the show all the way up to 1977 when I had it leave the air in a glorious bang with a story set in sixteenth-century Ireland where it all began with the original curse that placed the family in a destructive path.

Gerard

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »
question, when you write this fiction can you publish it?   isn't this stuff (mainly characters) copy righted? 

how does fan fiction work.  

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:58:31 PM »
I did it my computer just for myself, just for fun.  I did post it on an AOL DS message board a few years ago after Sci-Fi stopped airing the series.

Gerard

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »
I would LOVE to see two back-stories separately on both Willie and Julia!!

I love the idea of learning more about how Jamison turned out, became an adult, married and had his family.  It would be wonderful to see Elizabeth as a teen, like Carolyn, rebellious and Roger like ... David ...??  or more wild!?
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
of all the time periods that they could have covered on the series but did not i think the 1920's would have been the coolest and most visually arresting.

the ladies in flapper attire.the men in spats.the collins family fattening their purse with a bit of bootlegging on the side.perhaps alexandra moltke cast as a young elizabeth...

and david selby playing a character named something besides "quentin". [rleyeb]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:13:34 PM »
question, when you write this fiction can you publish it?   isn't this stuff (mainly characters) copy righted? 

Fan fiction is simple; you just do it because you want to.   It's not exactly legal, because you are using copyrighted characters and series, but not exactly illegal either, because you're not making any profit, and therefore not taking potential income away from the owners or writers of DS (or whatever TV series).    Legally, writers of fanfic are generally left alone and tolerated, I think, on the assumption that a flourishing fandom is good for business in the long run.    I'm guessing that that last part is true.

Paramount, owners of the Star Trek name, have given fans a hard time I hear, but even they tolerate huge masses of fan fiction.

It wasn't that much of an issue before computers, I suppose.   We used to exchange our fanzines in person, and it wasn't in public view.    It must have been awkward, when fanfic started to be put online.     Lots of lawyers scratching heads.    All that's settled now, I would guess.   Unless Mr. Troll is communicating with us from a computer they've graciously allowed him to have in his light-security prison cell.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
Yes, technically fan fiction is copyright infringement and it doesn't matter whether or not you make money off it or not.  It's copyright infringement.  However, since DS fan fiction started becoming available in the mid-1970s, Dan Curtis Productions hasn't bothered the authors and small publishers of fan fiction because it's not as if it were a cottage industry and taking away from DCP profits off DS.  It's been good publicity and kept the fandom alive during long, dry periods when the show wasn't airing anywhere.

The only thing Dan Curtis Productions is known to go after people for is selling copies of the DS series, uploading DS episodes and heavily using video clips on a website.  The fan fic writers have been left alone for decades.

Nancy

question, when you write this fiction can you publish it?   isn't this stuff (mainly characters) copy righted?