Author Topic: Online article on TV vampires mentions all BUT Barnabas! Stick it to the writer  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Hmmm- I seem to have opened up a can of worms here

You're nothing but a trouble-maker Charles!

Now, to make folks feel better, I saw, a few days ago, a documentary on - I think, but my memory fades even after a few days - the History Channel about the portrayal of vampires in cinema and television.  Special mention was made of DS, and Barnabas in particular, saying quite forth-rightly that the character of Barnabas was THE pivotal point in which vampires were portrayed on celluloid, from horrid monsters to creatures that had consciences.  That's pretty darn good getting an important reference like that.

Gerard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Online article on TV vampires mentions all BUT Barnabas! Stick it to the wr
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 12:07:01 AM »
No kidding. Calling the writer a "creep" for some perceived snub is immature and undermines any credibility the poster might otherwise have.

(You should have heard some of the crap I got from overly rabid fans because Julia Hoffman didn't appear in DREAMS OF THE DARK. Hoo boy.)

However, any writer whose work is put in front of the public must be prepared to take what comes his way. It's part of the job...

You know what, Mark, I'm as rabid a fan as anyone, but I never even noticed that Julia wasn't in your novel until you just mentioned it now.  That's because I enjoyed it immensely and if somebody wasn't there, it went right past me.  That's how good I thought it was.

Gerard

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:42:13 PM »
Some folks got downright nasty about the way things went in the book they didn't agree with. All fans have their own unique perspectives, and some of them feel theirs is the -only- correct one. Someone who respectfully presents his or her point of view to a writer is likely to be taken seriously; 

The heck with the omission of Julia, how come "I" wasn't included in your book?  Beth Massie wrote me into one of hers. ha ha [devil2]   Luv Ya Marcus   [skull_winks]
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 12:50:37 AM »
Bob, didn't you hear? I just killed you in my latest tale. Very gruesomely.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 04:28:36 AM »
FYI, in this week's issue of TV Guide there is a blurb about the current crop of vampires in shows like Moonlight, Blood Ties, and a soon-to-be-released HBO vamp-and the author mentions DC and Barnabas as the turning point from total evil to having a conscience.
[2Bats] [vampire] [_Vampire_] [Wolfie] [Witch00]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
You've gotta hand it to TV Guide: I think that the people who are the staff now are among those who 'ran home from school to watch DS', unlike the the magazine's staff during the show's original run, which tended to slyly put down the show whenever an actor or DS itself was profiled.  People is another major magazine which is DS-friendly.  In a look back on the show circa 1990, they even scaled back the ages of some of the actresses!  [hall2_wink]

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
I am late to this topic, but you see BuzzH got her back up again and disappeared from the boards for awhile, so don't worry about it, guys, it is her loss, not yours...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
I just came across this thread.    I'm certainly glad my anger isn't on a hair-trigger.  I've got enough problems.   

All sorts of people will always "get away" with saying and thinking things we don't like.   The author seems like a nice guy who was writing on present-day vampire shows.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor