Author Topic: Roger Keene, DS fan and friend, passes away on the Saturday prior to the Fest  (Read 1613 times)

Selby_D._Pearson

Sorry for the delay posting about Roger (who many of you knew from the DS Festivals) but I only got this obituary several days ago.

SDP

Roger Keene, 50

History buff helped form historic district commission

Roger Keene, 50, of Provincetown and Whitman, died peacefully at home Aug. 11 of lung cancer, a disease he had battled for 19 months. His partner of 30 years, Eliot “Peter” Denault, and his mother, Anne Keene, were at his side.

For more than 25 years Mr. Keene was employed as a hair stylist in Hanover. He also restored many antique homes. He was a history buff and belonged to many historic organizations. For many years he was chair of Provincetown’s historic committee, and he helped form the town’s historic district commission.

He loved to travel and made many trips to Europe. He once spent Halloween in Transylvania at Dracula’s Castle. His other interest was the TV series Dark Shadows. He would travel the country to attend their conventions and had a copy of every show.

Having grown up on a farm, Mr. Keene loved animals and gardening. He most recently enjoyed his six house cats, many of which he’d rescued.

In addition to his partner and mother, he is also survived by a sister, Hedy Childers, and a brother, Robert Keene; two nieces, Juliet Keene and Therese Picard, and a nephew, Richard Childers; plus many great-nieces and great-nephews. He was predeceased by his father, the late Roger Keene.

His life is being celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, at the Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, 236 Commercial St., Provincetown.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I don't think I had the privilege of meeting the man, but I am very sorry to hear of his passing. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Offline John_in_NC

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I had the privilege of meeting Roger at the 2004 Festival in Tarrytown and found him to be one of the nicest DS fans I have met.  My sincere condolences to his partner, family, and friends.
John in NC

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
My deepest sympathy to Roger Keene's Partner, Family and Friends.  [Candle]

David

OMG!
I don't think I ever spoke to Roger, but I do recognize his face from fests in the 90s.

I'm so sorry to hear this, 50 is much to young an age to go.
I wish his partner and mother peace and healing.

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I recognize Roger from the photo.  Thanks for posting it.  I wish his life partner and family the best during this difficult time.  :'(

Nancy

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I never met him but sounds like he was a really nice guy.  Too soon to leave. Deepest sympathy and blessings to all his loved ones.
There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I am so sorry to hear this! I recognize his face from the photo. I did see him at some fests I attended. I don't believe, though, we ever spoke. I will keep his loved ones in my prayers.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
My condolences to his partner and family!  Was he at the 2003 Fest?  He llooks so familiar; I think I might have chatted with him, but I'm just not sure.

Gerard

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
I'd like to think that somewhere today someone watched his or her very first DS episode.  We may have lost a longtime friend, but soon new friends will appear.  After all, it is DS, where life and death are always changing places!

Selby_D._Pearson

Re: Roger Keene, DS fan and friend, passes away on the Saturday prior to the Fes
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:52:09 AM »
My condolences to his partner and family!  Was he at the 2003 Fest?  He llooks so familiar; I think I might have chatted with him, but I'm just not sure.

Yes, he attended the 2003 Fest. That's where I met him. He and I were roommates when Diana Millay took some DS fans on a trip to Transylvania in October/November of that year.

Thanks to one and all for your kind thoughts. I'll try to send his partner a link to read here.

SDP

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Keene, DS fan and friend, passes away on the Saturday prior to the Fes
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 06:36:12 AM »
I don't believe I ever met him at the Fests, but my sympathy to his family and friends. 

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Keene, DS fan and friend, passes away on the Saturday prior to the Fest
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:32:27 AM »
I think I saw him at some DS Fests I attended, because he looks familiar. However, I don't believe I ever had the opportunity to meet him. My sincere condolences go out to his partner, mother, family and friends.  50 is much too young to die! [bawl]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]