Author Topic: Can use your help, We are doing great!  (Read 24031 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Can use your help, We are doing great!
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2007, 03:18:44 AM »
That's what I meant, thanks!

Like your previous banner, it's stored once in the db and only until you remove it from your profile.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
We are reaching out. Please come join us.
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2007, 04:35:53 PM »
Thank you for everyones help. We are doing well with the big reach out. Continue to do the reach out. We are still climbing  a little more today. :))

Ray's Analysis. http://tinyurl.com/2ycgce

Highway To Heaven   68564 +265
The Simpsons   62433  +110
Scarecrow and Mrs. King     59793 +156
Northern Exposure   58260 +130
Alias   54415  +148
Cleopatra 2525   53282 +136
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys   48639 +212
Dark Shadows (1966)   45673 +275

Hercules, is trying to stop us to get to 40,  They are saying we don't  deserve to be there. Let's make them wrong.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
Ray I just curse you BUT on this forum, curses are good and cures are not so good.  So consider it a complement.  [hall2_grin]
Well, curse you, too, then, Jackie =^[.]~=!

Today's update on TV Vote-

[Text edited by admin-- follow url in Reply #76 (previous post)]
The enjoyment of any good thing is only enhanced by sharing it with others.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Dark Shadows: Why are we here?
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2007, 07:02:30 PM »
I am starting a new thread for the sole purpose of explaining why it would be fun to nominate Dark Shadows [for link, see banner-- Admin.].  If you ask why bother, then I ask the readers why are you here? Why bother to talk about a 41 year old TV show that you believe may not ever come back on TV?

Why?  I can only tell you why I vote.

I have always loved Dark Shadows but forgot about it after 1971 when it went off the air.  Around 2002, I stumbled upon my first yahoogroup dedicated to the show.  Since then, I've spend time communicating with fans, making friends with them, attending my first festival in 2003, and thankfully finding this forum to have fun with the subject.  It's a pastime, to have fun, make friends and explore new avenues [writing and photo shop].  Now I'm having fun nominating DS so it can be on the Top 40 list with other past and present TV shows.  It's a game.

Why do people come here to play word games and caption pictures relating to Dark Shadows, or just discussing the episodes?  IMO, for the camaraderie and fun.  That's why I invite every DS fan to play another game, have fun and show fan power that Barnabas, Julia, Professor Stokes and company are still live.  I've given the TV_Vote site the link to this forum, along with other DS groups so people who are interested in getting involved with DS have a place to come to, for their own reasons: for fun, profit or curiousity.  What's the reasons why you all are still here, every day, every week, talking about Dark Shadows?  I've heard from some of you, all good reasons.  Let's play another DS game.
  [hall2_cheesy]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
Well, curse you, too, then, Jackie

Ray, look on the left side of the screen, where  your name is.  See Karma and underneath, the words "Cures/Curses" which are selectable items.  One can click on either [I believe once every 24 hours] to rate the other members.  I see it as a game and usually only curse people.  Curses aren't a positive thing but here, they are!!
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »
Ray, look on the left side of the screen, where  your name is.  See Karma and underneath, the words "Cures/Curses" which are selectable items.

Actually, he would have to look under another member's name to see it.  Cure and curse do not appear in one's own posts.    [hall2_smiley]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: Why are we here?
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2007, 11:05:18 PM »
Well, since this is being brought up, I will respond again too. [hall2_grin]

The games that involve the captions, for example, provide amusement and fun for those who read and/or participate. There is a pay-off.  When anyone initiates a discussion on a DS subject, there is a payoff in reading response, debating or agreeing with other cousins, and getting information and insight that maybe wasn't there before.

Going to vote on a poll with no end in sight, being asked to vote numerous times a day, has no payback. There's no great feeling (as far as I can see) about the placement of DS on this poll because you know the placement is based on voters who are willing to vote a dozen times a day, day and night, and not any real popularity.

I feel that discussing DS here and the available merchandise to be as worthy a cause as voting a zillion times a day for a poll that how many people will ever see?

I do wonder why such energy and devotion has not been channelled into an organized campaign of writing letters to various potential networks that could air DS.  That works better and petitions and it certainly works better than polls that have little criteria.

My two cents.

Nancy

I am starting a new thread for the sole purpose of explaining why it would be fun to nominate Dark Shadows [for link, see banner-- Admin.].  If you ask why bother, then I ask the readers why are you here? Why bother to talk about a 41 year old TV show that you believe may not ever come back on TV?

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2007, 05:36:43 AM »
Ah, well, first of all, Nancy, nice to meet you!

I can see your point, coming from the position that you do. If you will kindly indulge me with just a little open-mindedness, I'd like to try to explain the point to all the voting, from the position that we voters are in.

TV Vote may, on the face of it, seem like just a silly game. However, it is actually a venue for making members of other fan-bases aware of one's own show. I began voting on TV Vote as a Browncoat, a fan of Firefly, a sci-fi series. We Browncoats are, as a group, about as rabid as they come; we got our show to the #1 position in the Top 40 poll this past August, after about a year of concentrated effort. I became aware of the separate Nominations poll, and, began voting for another show of which my wife is fond. However, that show had no real support, which became frustrating. I looked at the other Nominations candidates, and, Lo! and behold, there was Dark Shadows!

I hadn't thought about DS in MANY years; I had been a childhood viewer of the original broadcasts, since DS was on in the daytime, and, I could watch those monsters... My point is, Nancy, that TV Vote rekindled my awareness and fondness for DS. More importantly, when I brought DS in the Nominations to the attention of the other Browncoats, a lot of them either also experienced that same, nostalgic rekindling, or, an altogether new interest in the show.

Now that DS is advancing toward breaking into the Top 40, it is garnering that same kind of attention from members of the 40 other fandoms, not to mention the hundreds more below us in the Nominations. Interest and curiosity is what drives new fans. Everyone who participates in TV Vote is already a passionate fan of at least one show, the majority of which are in the broad genre of the fantastical, like DS. More fans means more support for projects like the new DS movie, which, in turn, will drive more demand for re-broadcast of the original series on TV, amongst other things.

As for there being no "great feeling" about the placement of our show, you have to try to understand that, as a very small group of fans of a 41-year-old program, we cast more daily votes than the fandoms of 26 of the Top 40 shows, many of which are still on the air! Every time we surpass another show on our rise to the Top 40, every day close we get to our goal, is a colossal thrill to us! When DS enters the Top 40, we will have earned the respect and envy of every fandom there.

So, that is why we vote. That is our payoff. As for using our energies better, I don't know how many millions of letter have been written over the years to get DS re-aired, but, we are accomplishing just what I have just described, and, more than that, we are having fun doing it.

Thank you for your patience with me while I did my best to clarify that.

Pleasant dreams...

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

P.S.: Regarding curses/cures. I actually sorted that out, myself; I "cursed" Jackie properly, when I posted what I did. Looks like somebody else got me, too, since.

-RC =^[.]^=

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2007, 06:33:27 AM »
I messed up and somehow all that I wrote did not show up in my answer to you Raycheetah.  So let me try again! ^-^

I can see your point, coming from the position that you do. If you will kindly indulge me with just a little open-mindedness, I'd like to try to explain the point to all the voting, from the position that we voters are in.

I assure you I am quite open-minded.  I respect however a DS fan wishes to celebrate or promote the show.  My open-mindedness also comes into play in that I don't post on other DS message boards and lists every day, several times a day,asking them to come visit this message board (which is a favorite of mine) or participate in or join any of the DS lists I'm on.  Sure, I let other fans now and then about the existence of this board and some cool DS lists I am on but that's the extent of it.  I let them know what's there for them to choose whether or not they are interested.  I respect their wishes if they don't join or participate.  I don't ask them to explain their choice because that is not being respective or open-minded in my opinion [hall2_wink]

Nancy

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2007, 09:05:34 AM »
Ermm...

Well, I am not unaware of some of the friction that the whole issue of the TV Vote campaign has created on some discussion groups. That is why I tend to limit myself to a single post, if any, on those groups, leaving it to others with more experience than I have to judge whether or not they wish to post more frequently. A forum such as this one has the distinct advantage that, should someone wish to post a discussion about a topic which is not universally popular, they can do so, and, those who do not wish to be engaged in such a discussion can simply steer clear.

As for what I perceive you to be inferring (and, please, forgive me if I misinterpret your statements), I would be terribly shocked and disappointed if someone were to be demanding others to explain their choices not to participate in TV Vote. It is one thing to utilize a forum for civil, topical discourse; it would be quite another to brow-beat other forum/group members about a topic or activity.

That said, I am a little unclear about the reason behind your presence in this discussion thread, Nancy. I think I am reiterating the obvious to observe that you are not interested in participating in TV Vote, so, I can't understand what your purpose here is, not that you are at all unwelcome.

At any rate, I appreciate your open-mindedness and respectful acceptance of the TV Vote fans' enthusiasm for our cause; not everyone is so broad-minded, and, it would be unfortunate for elements of the larger Dark Shadows fandom to clash over such a minor point.

Trust in that I, at least, will not post anything about the TV Vote initiative on other threads on this forum, nor disparage anyone, here, or, elsewhere on these boards, for their position pro or con our efforts.

Now, understanding that it is a courtesy to do so, I'm going to cast a little curse on you, Nancy!

Pleasant dreams!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

I assure you I am quite open-minded.  I respect however a DS fan wishes to celebrate or promote the show.  My open-mindedness also comes into play in that I don't post on other DS message boards and lists every day, several times a day,asking them to come visit this message board (which is a favorite of mine) or participate in or join any of the DS lists I'm on.  Sure, I let other fans now and then about the existence of this board and some cool DS lists I am on but that's the extent of it.  I let them know what's there for them to choose whether or not they are interested.  I respect their wishes if they don't join or participate.  I don't ask them to explain their choice because that is not being respective or open-minded in my opinion [hall2_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »
Welcome, Raycheetah!

A large part of the reason that I vote is that I like lori54, so it's nice to hear that the poll has made a difference to some people.  And what you say makes sense, because every time I go to copy-and-paste "Dark Shadows (1966)" from the list at the website, I wonder: What is Les Filles de Caleb?

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2007, 03:05:58 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome, Lydia!

Liking lori54 is a GREAT reason to vote! If I hadn't been voting, already, that'd be another one, for me. She's a dedicated fan, and, has been a lot of my inspiration in helping out with Dark Shadows on TV Vote.

Yesterday, the voting went GREAT! While many shows in the Top 40 tanked horribly (my own, beloved Firefly, especially, with the lowest score we've seen in a LONG time... =-[.]-=), Dark Shadows actually GAINED over the previous day!

Stats and analysis, as always, at:

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2285353&st=240&gopid=4521515&#entry4521515

Thank you so very much for your support, Lydia. I can't emphasize how much it means to those of us promoting this campaign to know that fans like you are there with us, pushing forward toward our goal. Every single vote counts!

And, if you cared to toss some votes to us Browncoats on the Top 40 poll, Firefly could sure use a boost! That's a relationship which I've been pleased to foster between the two fandoms; Dark Shadows voters helped us out through some lean times, in the past, but, right now, we could use all the friends we can get! For my part, it has been my ongoing pleasure to help Dark Shadows rise in the polls, and, to encourage my Browncoat brethren (amongst others) to support Dark Shadows in the Nominations.

I'll be back again, tomorrow, with another bulletin.

Nice to meet you, Lydia! Have a curse, on me!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Welcome, Raycheetah!

A large part of the reason that I vote is that I like lori54, so it's nice to hear that the poll has made a difference to some people.  And what you say makes sense, because every time I go to copy-and-paste "Dark Shadows (1966)" from the list at the website, I wonder: What is Les Filles de Caleb?

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2007, 03:52:59 PM »
I wanted to say thank you, for all the nice thoughts.  I am really glad that this thread has come alive. I am also glad that our numbers keep climbing.  Dark Shadows has a great fandom, I am really glad to be a part.  Here is how the people are doing above us.

DS +283

(edited by mod.)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
As for what I perceive you to be inferring (and, please, forgive me if I misinterpret your statements), I would be terribly shocked and disappointed if someone were to be demanding others to explain their choices not to participate in TV Vote. It is one thing to utilize a forum for civil, topical discourse; it would be quite another to brow-beat other forum/group members about a topic or activity.

I'm usually someone who will say something that others, choosing not to get involved, also feel.  The PMs I've had on this subject are from people who are really "eye-rolling" over the "Why are we here?" sort of post, which leans even closer to the point of badgering people to participate.  I don't think it good sport to ask people to explain themselves.  Yes, you can steer clear of the discussion entirely but since this is a discussion board, I'll take the discussion route.  After all, that's why we are here - to discuss all things DS. [hall2_wink]

That said, I am a little unclear about the reason behind your presence in this discussion thread, Nancy. I think I am reiterating the obvious to observe that you are not interested in participating in TV Vote, so, I can't understand what your purpose here is, not that you are at all unwelcome.

I think it's fair to turn a question to you and ask why some of those involved in the voting simply will not take a "not interested" from other fans? Why subtly ask for an explanation?  There are obviously many DS fans who aren't interested otherwise you and others would not be here posting stats and asking for help with every post.

At any rate, I appreciate your open-mindedness and respectful acceptance of the TV Vote fans' enthusiasm for our cause; not everyone is so broad-minded, and, it would be unfortunate for elements of the larger Dark Shadows fandom to clash over such a minor point.

The clashing comes when one's wish to not participate is subtly stepped on.   It has less to do with being broad-minded and more about having a different taste when it comes to playing games or participating in online DS activities.  No one likes being badgered especially over something, that in the scheme of things, doesn't really matter.  If you were after people to write to the President and our representatives about pullings troops out of Iraq, I would understand applying friendly pressure towards that goal.

Thank you for the curse. I can always use it.  [hall2_grin]

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2007, 09:26:56 PM »

I neglected to answer this before.  I'm in the discussion thread because people were asked a question as to why they would not get involved with the polling.  I answered the question and subsequent posts related to my answer.  Obviously people who are not interested in the voting poll are going to be the ones to answer the question posted in this thread. [hall2_smiley]

Nancy