Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0296  (Read 1272 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0296
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0296
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »
I am glad that this show was in black and white. Our favorite smoking scean. I don't think it would have looked as great in color.  I loved the way that Julia timed to come down and see Barnabas just before dawn. Let him worry. She could have been mean and let him have bad dreams about it while he slept. That's right he doesn't dream.

It is interesting how now she didn't remember Julia. Everyone keeps pushing her to remember things, it would seem that the DR's would say just let her remember things naturaly but then we wouldn't know if Julia had done a good job or not.

Very good show, I can just begin to see the tension building, That was one thing that happended with DS, something was always happening that was suspenceful. 
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:55:45 AM »
Back to black and white.  Somebody should have told Vicky that she didn't need to hide her unsightly dress from the camera today.

Julia is fabulous: she still thinks she can come out of the business with a whole skin and her license to practise medicine intact!  It really makes you wonder what sort of shenanigans she's pulled in the past.

Apparently it was considered unnecessary to mention exactly where Sam was when he should have been drowning his sorrows at the Blue Whale.  Barnabas said on Friday that he would go look for Sam, but instead he went after Julia, so who found Sam?  My mind keeps going back to a Caption This capture that MB put up a few weeks ago:
Complete this phrase: "Joe positively could not believe that somehow Sam, his girlfriend's father (:o), had talked him into driving him to..."

And so we're back to Maggie as Maggie.  The vampire victim is gone, and the hysterical girl who regressed to childhood is gone.  It's a superb job of hypnotism on Julia's part, especially when you consider that it was done on the fly, with no advance preparation.  Question: is Maggie better off not remembering?  The memory question is asked in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and the answer in that movie was, "No, memories should not be erased."  Is the answer different here?  Did Maggie learn anything out of this experience that could be helpful to her later on in life?  Is there any way that Julia (assuming Julia didn't have ulterior, exterior motives) could work with Maggie to make the memories of her ordeal bearable?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »
I know this is whacked, but whenever I play the scene of Julia lighting her cigarette from the candelabrum (while Barn GLARES at her) I can't help thinking of a movie that exists in my very own warped imagination--JULIA, SHE-WOLF OF COLLINSPORT.

Truly priceless footage...

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:32:40 PM »
I want a film where Julia is terrorizing the Collinses and townsfolk for miles around with her sarcasm and irony and half-statements, and takes Barnabas everywhere she goes on a leash, sort of Gollum-y and fawning.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 09:23:50 AM »
Too bad the original was lost - we got a color tease for one day, and then back to black and white (kinescope) again.  But I agree that the cigarette lighting scene wouldn't have been as good in color, so it's just as well... [bigok]

Barnabas said on Friday that he would go look for Sam, but instead he went after Julia, so who found Sam?
Sam said that Burke told him.  At first, I thought it was strange that Barnabas said he would tell Sam, but he didn't.  When I later saw Barnabas talking to Julia, it made sense.  Barnabas was scared out of his wits, [shkdg] and Julia took advantage of the situation by waiting as long as possible to tell him about what she did. [cheesyg]

I loved that scene, too - the one when Julia lit her cigarette on the candelabra.  It made me think about all those old 30's and 40's movies when women were always getting their cigarettes lighted for them.  It was rather intriguing how Julia held the cigarette - very classy.  [winkg]

I also loved that scene when Joe and Maggie were reuninted.  That was a great kiss.  [kissgrin] Joe looked so handsome.  [luv]

----- Sally -----
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 04:24:17 PM »
He flew over and told Sam and then over to Julia.  But doesn Julia know when to not  to push?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 02:55:52 AM »
Katherine Leigh Scott gives a very poignant performance in this episode.