Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0288  (Read 1052 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0288
« on: May 02, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0288
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 07:58:29 PM »
All I can say, is Julia knows, I think that she knew before and just used the book as a pretext. Barnabas is totally puzzled?? He doesn't know what to think of her. He wants to throw her out, but his Old time manners won't let him.  ::) JF and GH did great.

Burke is really starting to get me, if I was Vickie, I would have told him where to go. But I am not. Plus this is 1967 and no gal would do that, yet.

I think this is all time filler till Friday and Monday, great shows, can't wait for everyone reaction. DS did know how to build suspense. I wonder what people thought when they saw it the first time.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »
I wonder what people thought when they saw it the first time.

Something tells me they were on the edge of their seats. I know I was - and I didn't see these eps until 1977, so I had a basic idea of what was to come - but still, I found them absolutely fascinating and extremely suspenseful.  [thumbleft]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:52:39 AM »
As Julia looked into the Barnabas-free mirror, and looked and looked and looked, I thought to myself: "She's seen what she wanted to see.  Time to put away the mirror - fast!"  But then I thought: "What a sight!"  If I were looking at something unbelievable like that, I too might have trouble tearing my eyes away from it.  Anyway, Julia probably wanted to get caught.

Boy oh boy, Barnabas did not look happy after Julia left.  I'm betting that he found an excuse to beat Willie within an inch of his life that night.

When Burke and Vicky were having a drink together in the Blue Whale, there was no mention of their dust-up at Collinwood a few days ago.  And once again Burke's being a fool.  MB mentioned, if I remember correctly, that Anthony George wasn't exactly a nobody in the soap world, so maybe the thought was that this Burke was such a ladykiller that viewers would love him no matter how much of a jackass he was.  But he's giving Vicky absolutely no reason to drop her interest in the Past.

What exactly is going on with Vicky?  She hasn't imagined everything she thinks she imagined: Sarah at the Old House party was real, and Maggie in Eagle Hill Cemetery was real, and Sarah singing in Josette's room was real.  And, as I've said before, an interest in the past and in the people who lived in the past is very reasonable.  But the music box has some sort of bewitching effect, and I'm assuming that the feeling of safety she claims to have in the Old House is also intended to be of not exactly natural origin.  Barnabas hasn't bitten her, so she is not in his power, and it seems to me that at this point in his career, the only way he obtains power over people is from biting them - so what force is working here?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:11:49 AM »
MB mentioned, if I remember correctly, that Anthony George wasn't exactly a nobody in the soap world

Actually, I said he was a known primetime actor. Prior to appearing on DS, George starred in Checkmate from '60-'62 and had guested on numerous other primetime series. He'd even appeared on the cover of TV Guide at least once (for Checkmate - a scan of which Bobubas generously shared on the old VantageNet version of the forum - and it will also be in the Members' Archive  ;)).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 02:54:30 AM »
Re Julia's lingering over her compact...yes, what is life after all, if we don't get to savor these not-so-little moments?

I can say no more I guess, but I love how fast things move after this.   I thought a certain big moment happened at the cliffhanger to this episode, I guess not though... I'm not watching these in synch with people here, but I watched a few days ago.   Weeks?   Time is in flux for me, just about as much as it is for a vampire with a hankerin' for time-tamperin'....

It's dawning on me that that was a dumb thing to say, and I'm choosing to enjoy it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 02:24:48 PM »
Actually, I said he was a known primetime actor.
For some reason I had the idea, until I read MB's post, that if somebody was a known prime time actor, then surely I would have been aware of it.  I should have known better.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »
Milestone episode! [cheer] Julia uses her compact to discover Barnabas doesn't have a reflection!  [shkdg] That means Barnabas is a vampire!   [ideag] I would have taken a second look, too!  [winkg]  One of the highlights of the entire show! [banana] Loved it!  [winkg]

Burke is really starting to get me, if I was Vickie, I would have told him where to go. But I am not. Plus this is 1967 and no gal would do that, yet.
I totally agree, loril54!  Burke is being a real jackass!  [8341]

----- Sally -----
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]