Author Topic: RIP: Curtis Harrington: directed Kate Jackson & Roger Davis  (Read 1028 times)

David

I'm sad to report the death of director Curtis Harrington.

In 1974, he directed Kate Jackson, Roger Davis and the legendary Gloria Swanon in the TV movie Killer Bees.
A few years later, he directed Roger again, in the horror film Ruby.

Curtis was a friend of legendary horror film director James Whale, and consulted on the Whale bio-pic Gods and Monsters.

He loved horror films and made many of them, including the cult classic Night Tide (1961),
The Cat Creature (1973) and the sublime Debbie Reynolds/Shelley Winters psycho thriller What's The Matter With Helen (1971).

He also directed many episodes of Dynasty.

Curtis Harrington was 78.
RIP.

David

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: RIP: Curtis Harrington: directed Kate Jackson & Roger Davis
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »
A few years later, he directed Roger again, in the horror film Ruby.

As well as Kate again in Charlie's Angels.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »
Wow, I'm shocked to hear of the death of Curtis Harrington.  The Cat Creature is one of my favorite films of the period.   I wish a decent edition of the movie were available in ANY format.

I also have very happy memories of Killer Bees. Gloria Swanson's thick German accent in that film was a hoot!

Hope that Curtis is happily clinking martini glasses with Whale, Karloff, and many other of the greats up in that great cocktail lounge in the sky.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:21 PM »
Curtis Harrington is a director whose work cries out for rediscovery.  I'd love to see two Curtis Harrington DVD Box Sets -- one comprised of his theatrical films and the other of his made-for-TV movies.

David

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:49:48 AM »
Harrington made TV movies during that brief, shining moment in the 1970s when made for TV horror films were on a par with Roger Corman's
Poe epics or the early Hammer classics.

Killer Bees really needs a DVD release.
Not about the African killer bees, this supernatural thriller is about [spoiler]a swarm that picks humans as its queen!
The scene were Kate Jackson becomes the new "Queen Bee" is indescribably eerie.
Jackson said in an interview that she nearly died of fright when she stood in the middle of a real swarm for the scene![/spoiler]
And yes, Swanson's over the top German accent is a classic old school Grande Dame performance!!
We'll never see TV movies like these again!

Another terrific Harrington thriller:
How Awful About Alan (1970)
with three great actors:
Anthony Perkins, Julie Harris, Joan Hackett.
It's on DVD, as is What's The Matter With Helen
& Harrington's follow-up with Shelley Winters:
Whoever Slew Aunt Roo? (1972)

David  

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »
He also directed Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell which I remember being somewhat freaked out by when I was a wee one.  Rest in Peace Mr. Harrington.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
Harrington also directed "Ruby", a pretty good possession thriller with Roger Davis (and Piper Laurie and Len Lesser). The DVD has completely inaccurate credits for Roger Davis, in which his credits were complied along with a silent film star of the same name, and gives the death date of the silent star. I once kidded Roger that I had picked up the disc, and thanked him for not letting his "death" prevent him from still attending conventions.
     I met Curtis Harrington at a Fanex convention in Baltimore several years ago and he was an absolute delight, enthralling us with marvelous stories of working with many golden era Hollywood stars. He was very aproachable and seemed to be having a ball. I would probably say "Night Tide" is my favorite but I have such fond memories of watching "Queen of Blood" on old SciFi Theatre very late one Saturday as a kid.
      One last tid-bit, a few years ago a friend purchased a vintage "Count Dracula Society" membership "kit" on Ebay and when he won it, and it arrived, it was Harrrington's personal kit.
      Likewise, I think he was a talented and underrated fillmmaker. His movies are worth seeking out.
Michael 

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul