Author Topic: #0475/0476: Robservations 05/09/02: Give Me Jeff Clark's Face!  (Read 1455 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
475 - Barnabas receives a letter from Cassandra and recognizes the handwriting as that of Angelique. The note says she can't understand his desire for secrecy. Roger, her dear husband, will be in town for a meeting this evening, and she will come to the Old House at 10. Despite the impropriety, she feels she already knows him--it will be a pleasure to see him again. He angrily crumples the note and stuffs it in his pocket. A knock at the door--it's Prof. Stokes, who wonders why it always rains when someone sends for him--I take everything personally, says Stokes. Barnabas asks about the talisman and Stokes' monograph on witchcraft. Stokes has it, and it's a powerful one. Barnabas wants to see it, but Stokes wants some amenities. Barnabas apologizes and pours the sherry Stokes requested. Stokes observes how nervous Barnabas is. Stokes drinks the sherry and Barn again asks to see the talisman. Stokes says he will--but he wants to see the witch first. Barn tells Stokes he's under the wrong impression--he doesn't have a witch secreted away somewhere--he's interested in witchcraft and wants to start a talisman collection. (doesn't everyone?) Stokes advises against it--when word gets out, he'll be bothered by silly men and women convinced a neighbor is a witch--his ancestor, Ben Stokes, knew the original Barnabas Collins very well, and his admiration for him makes him appear positively boring. (Barnabas looks quite amused at this statement.) Barn asks to buy Stokes' but he refuses to sell--it's a part of him. Stokes is fascinated by the house--early Greek revival, but more satisfying than Collinwood. The Professor starts examining a an antique table, and remarks that the man was drunk when he made that. Barnabas is impatient and offers Stokes a grand for the talisman. Stokes says no, he couldn't afford to buy it back. Name your price, persists Barn, and Stokes realizes his impatience. He says he'll give it to Barn on loan, but won't sell because he might need it someday, as Barnabas does now. Keep it on your person, says Stokes, and finally hands it to him.
Stokes says he won't forget this evening, it's a chapter in a book he intends to finish. (a truly delightful scene between these two.) Barnabas holds the talisman and looks at it.

Barnabas slips the talisman in his pocket and answers Cassandra's knock at the door. Barnabas speaks of her beautiful name, which has unfortunate historical associations--does she have the gift of prophecy? No, but she wishes she did. The next days will be fascinating says Barnabas, and she compliments him on his lovely house, where she feels at home and he isn't at all surprised. "You have every reason to be, Angelique," he says harshly. She pretends to be perplexed. It's a name she used once, he says, but she denies this--he's confused her with someone else. He assures her he'd never confuse her with anyone. "You have," she says, and turns away. He grabs her arm and says, "You feel at home here because we were married in this room. " Shocked, she pulls her arm away, and threatens to tell Roger. She says she'll answer any questions, even his. He asks when and where she was born--NY, her parents are both dead. The last part is true, he says, they died in Martinique, centuries ago. She tells him he doesn't make sense. He drills on, asking her where she was a year ago. In grad school, she says, in CA. What was she studying? witchcraft? he demands. I didn't expect you to be like this, she says, and he agrees. He accuses her of thinking he'd still be confined to the night, and Cass says she doesn't know what he means. Barnabas says, "You dare to say that to me, you who caused me this curse! And now you've come back to torment me!" He steps in closer, threatening. I never knew you even existed, she responds, playing her role to the hilt. No, you didn't, he says, until she met Vicki in the past. Cass insists she only just met her here, and Barnabas orders her to stop lying. I'm not! Says Cass. "You met me and found out I was not where my father put me, that I was still in the world," he accuses. She asks why he's saying such nonsensical things to her, and calls him insane. Perhaps, he says, insane enough to try to deal with you! "Don't try," she advises. I won't let you harm anyone there, he warns. "Harm anyone?" she asks, incredulous--"I shall tell Roger all of this." He advises against this--if they begin checking, he's sure her papers wouldn't be in as much order as she thinks--you can't afford too many questions--Angelique! (wonder how in order HIS papers are?) Stop calling me that, she orders; he insists it's her name.
No, it's not, she insists. He gazes at her and uttering a sob, she runs to the door. "No, you will not win this time, believe me," Barnabas says as a parting shot.

Lang's house - Lang chuckles over the talisman, but Barnabas asks him not to be scientific and skeptical. Barnabas was married to Angelique, she made him a vampire, now she's back. Lang suggests Barnabas get some help for his anxiety psychological complex. Barnabas says Ang will go after Lang because he helped him. Eric shakes his head, he doesn't want to be involved. You did away with my curse, explains Barnabas--why do you think Roger attacked you, and why you went blind in the hospital? Lang doesn't know. There's no scientific, logical explanation for all that, Barnabas says soberly. No, agrees Eric. Keep the talisman with you always, urges Barnabas. Aren't you in danger, too? asks Lang. The doorbells rings, Eric tells Barn to wait in the back. Barnabas presses the talisman into his hand and Eric promises to decide about it later. Barnabas says I HAVE decided--you are in danger! Barnabas retreats to the study. Lang's limping patient, Miss Blair (Cassandra), comes hobbling in. I was passing through town and hurt my ankle badly, she says--it's my first vacation in years! He has her sit down and looks at the ankle, which is no longer bandaged. He twists it around to decide if it needs an x-ray at the hospital. He looks into her eyes and dizzily shakes his head. He looks again, and her eyes grow large. She says he isn't well, but he blinks his eyes, dazed. She orders him to look at her, and when he does, he asks what's happening to him. "You will never remember, doctor, never," she promises. His hand trembles, and she says that's the first sign. His other arm hurts--pain!--I can hardly bear it. She can hear his heart beginning to pound (same trick she pulled on poor Ben). Lang is gasping for breath, heart beating so fast, so fast.
"Doctor, you are going to die, she says, no one can live with his heart pounding that fast--you will remember none of this!--Heart pounding, faster, faster!" Lang pulls himself out of the trance and sits down at the desk on which he placed the talisman. He clutches it, instantly breaking her spell. She goes over to him, asking if he's all right. He doesn't remember what happened. You aren't well, she says, I should call someone. She tries to take the talisman away from him. He tells her to leave him alone, he's all right, and she coldly says, yes, you are, disappointed at the failure of her evil handiwork. I can see that now, she says. Cassandra, lips trembling, leaves, and Lang sits staring at the talisman in his hand, sighing. Barnabas tells Lang his visitor was Angelique--she turned Ben mute and tried to give him a similar attack. Lang agrees he must accept this, and Barn asks about this permanent cure. Do it now, tonight, begs Barnabas, but Eric says the experiment isn't ready. Stop tormenting me and at least tell me about it, pleads Barn--don't give me hope then take it away--I'm afraid, she'll do anything. Eric swears he'll do anything to save him, but he can't yet. He can't risk failure. What about money, help? asks Barnabas eagerly. No, no one else must know, insists Eric, but agrees he must tell Barnabas of the risks and decisions involved in this plan. Barnabas fears Angelique turning him back into a vampire.
Eric says he's going to do something no one else has ever done before, an effort at which all other doctors have failed--if I do fail, warns Lang, you will be a hollow shell, unable to rise or walk. But if you succeed? asks Barnabas. You will still leave your body, explains Lang, but will live--the witch will think you've escaped your body by death, when in reality you will have escaped by living. Barnabas begs him to clarify, so Eric leads him down to his lab. Barnabas gazes around, and Eric says only one other person, his assistant, knows of this room. Eric shows him a gurney and says, "You will lie here and your life force will be drained from you into my still-unfinished work" (He points to a sheet-draped body on another table. "My creation, and your life force will make him live." He draws back the sheet and we see an arm stitched to a torso. Barnabas looks really grossed out.

NOTES: Hmmm, sounds like a Frankenstein scenario to me, with an arm (obviously the "perfect specimen" Jeff found in the cemetery) attached to a body. Eric seems like a mad scientist to the nth degree at this point, with his collection of body parts and well-stocked lab.

Why did Cassandra want to see Barnabas? Was she hoping he'd somehow miraculously fall into her arms and declare his love? What was the purpose of her note? She didn't tell him her intention, she didn't even admit to being Angelique, despite his baiting. What does this woman want with Barnabas? She tried to kill Eric, but the talisman protected him. Thank God Stokes provided it--and didn't we love that scene between the two of them? All Barnabas wants is the protective talisman, all Stokes wants is some amenities and a tour of the house.

476 - (Set note: Dr. Lang's lab looks exactly like what one would expect of a mad scientist's laboratory.) Shown the sewn on arm, Barnabas asks what "it" is. Until it lives and has a name, says Lang, "it" is appropriate. What about the head? asks Barn. That will come last, says Lang., who says he created this body--and Barnabas' life force will make it live. Barn looks uncertain.

Lang tells Barn to accept the incredible. Barnabas asks why he did it. Lang describes how he's been studying, researching and analyzing for years, and has learned a simple secret of bestowing life on inanimate matter. Life out of death? asks Barn, and Lang wonders if he thinks him altogether mad. This creature, imbued with Barnabas' life force, will be born, live as any other man, and Barnabas will have his cherished freedom--in essence, reborn. HOW? asks Barn.
By infusing his creature with Barn's life force, with a new body and mind. Barn stares at the creature and asks about his present body and mind. Forever dead, says Lang, but you would forever be free of Ang's curse--because you would no longer be Barnabas. This idea stuns Barnabas, giving him hope, but he insists he must know more--like the chance of success. Almost certain, Lang assures him, but admits it's a chance. If it fails, Barnabas would die in his present form--but Lang feels certain of success. What would happen to my memory, feelings and recognition? asks Barn, but Lang says he won't know until they try the experiment. So, says Barn, he might retain some of his former self or as helpless and innocent as a newborn child. Lang assures him he will be reborn as a fully intelligent, mature man. He ask Barn if he'll do it, and Barn goes over to gaze at the body again, admitting he doesn't know. Lang realizes this is an important decision, and besides, he still has some minor things to do. Barn reminds him of the major thing--the face. Lang says he would let that be Barn's decision if he says yes--it will, after all, he his face.

Jeff and Lang skulk in the woods, waiting for a body to be buried. The gravedigger pulls out a pipe, delaying his plans, annoying Lang. Jeff admits he wouldn't mind if the guy stood there all night, but the gravedigger finally departs. Lang is following him, but orders Jeff to start digging. No, says Jeff, I can't do it. You'll do as I say, insists Lang, but Jeff maintains that he doesn't have the stomach for it. It must be done, says Lang. Jeff says the experiment won't work anyway, and if Lang thinks it will, he's crazy. Lang calls such people stupid--the experiment needs one more body and Jeff will dig it up. It's disgusting, robbing graves, complains Jeff, only ghouls do such things (ask Willie about that). Lang reminds him he is a doctor with honorable purpose, and the end justifies the means. Jeff says other doctors would condemn Lang's methods. Jeff suggests the experiment will fail, but Lang refuses to consider that. Jeff again refuses to dig, and Lang starts to threaten him. Jeff won't frighten as easily, and Lang asks him if he cares about Vicki learning about him. Jeff is going to tell Vicki everything, since she'll eventually find out.
About the murders? asks Lang. Jeff doesn't know he was a murderer, but Lang assures him he was. Jeff doesn't remember, so Lang could have made up a crazy story to blackmail him into digging up the dead. Lang can get his records--take him back to the sanitarium and show him how he was found on the Portsmouth waterfront, dazed, with a piece of rope in his pocket, strands of which were found on the necks of two women strangled to death. Jeff thinks he's lying, he doesn't believe he killed anyone. Lang advises him not to call his bluff, but Jeff tosses down the shovel and tells him this is one grave he can dig himself.

Barnabas waits in the gazebo, where Julia joins him. Barn hopes Cass didn't see her leaving Collinwood--that's why they left the house separately. You're acting strangely, comments Julia (as opposed to what?) He asks for her advice as friend and doctor--tell me about Lang. Why? asks Julia. He's offered me a way of forever escaping the curse, says Barnabas, but I can't tell you. How can I advise you? asks Julia. Professionally, does Lang know what he's talking about? Barnabas asks--will he keep his word? Julia says she must know what he promised Barnabas, and what he's planning--is it an experiment? Yes, and revolutionary, says Barn. Julia confesses she was already curious--she knew he had plans for Barnabas, but didn't know what they were. Barn says he understands Lang's reluctance to talk of his work, but doesn't feel Lang has concealed anything. Julia has one question--how will it free Barn from the curse? He can't tell her that without revealing the nature of the experiment. An operation? asks Julia. Yes, admits Barn, but the risk is very small. Julia is worried, she doesn't want him to go through with it--the risk is too great. I have the opportunity to be a free man! says Barnabas. Or a dead one, counters Julia, and permanently, this time.
That might not be so bad, says Barn (oh, that's sad!), and she reminds him that his life has taken a better turn in the past week--you can go on this way indefinitely. No, says Barn, Angelique is here to place the curse on me, and won't be in any hurry--she'll want to watch me suffer, so I must make my move--if I wait any longer, it will be too late. Julia gazes at him with love and concern.

A dog howls. Barnabas is agitated. He starts to leave the gazebo and hides when he hears Jeff and Vicki coming. Is she going to hear all about Jeff Clark, asks Vicki, but Jeff says he knows nothing about Peter. His past is a mystery, but Vicki might help him learn something. She's his only friend, and needs her help. He apologizes because she can't get straight answers from him. He doesn't know the beginning; he doesn't know who he is. His name might not be Jeff Clark. He knows of no past. Before the sanitarium, he doesn't remember anything. This perturbs Vicki. That's where he was before Lang. He doesn't know why he was there, and he hasn't thought about anything, but since he met her, he's begun to feel things that induce him to want to know his past. He wants to know all about her, and why they met when they did. She already knows, because they spoke a long time ago.
He seems upset she still thinks he's Bradford. She wants to believe it. He gazes at her, wishing he could be Bradford, just for her. He touches her hair (instead of his own) and kisses her, and she responds eagerly. Barnabas watches with anger on his face, heartbroken.

Lang answers his lab door to find Barnabas there. He's got an answer for him--he will cooperate with Lang's experiment. Two or three days and they can start, says Lang. Barnabas has also decided on the face--he wants the face to resemble Jeff Clark's. Lang, grinning heartily, promises he can do better--it will BE Jeff Clark's face, and this causes Barnabas to smile back in satisfaction.

NOTES: OK. . .is Lang planning to steal Jeff's face from him and put it on his creation's body? Won't Vicki notice the difference; the body is much bigger than Jeff's--or won't she care, LOL? After seeing such a wonderful storyline in 1795, this one didn't start out very auspiciously for me with this Frankenstein rip off. I never could stand Lang and felt Addison Powell's acting ability lagged behind everyone else's. His was a pivotal role and should have been filled by a better actor.

Where did Jeff Clark come from? Was he a murderer for real? Did he kill a bunch of women or did Lang make it up to force his cooperation with his grisly experiment? Will Jeff fall for Vicki automatically? Is he really Peter Bradford on loan from 1796?

Julia wisely advises Barnabas to be careful; he knows little about Lang. Barnabas has always been impulsive, however, and seeing Jeff together with Vicki has forced his hand and pushed him into accepting Lang's offer. What poor Barnabas doesn't understand is that while Vicki likes him as a friend, she doesn't love him, and didn't go through with their plans to get married. What is she going to think if Jeff disappears and this hulk shows up with his face? It's almost comical, but it's not supposed to be, and here DS drifts away from the excellence of the trip to the 18th century.

Love, Robin