Author Topic: Did they or didn't they? (Was Re: Episode #0496)  (Read 3387 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Did they or didn't they? (Was Re: Episode #0496)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 07:36:17 PM »
I could maybe buy Roger being gay but I don't believe he was ever attracted to Burke, at least not after the whole [spoiler]manslaughter mess and Burke being sent to prison.[/spoiler] They hated each other's guts from that moment on.
Yes, but, indifference, not hate, is the opposite of love.  I can see the attraction being one sided and going on in Roger's mind long before the accident.  I always got the biggest kick out of Roger and I can remember thinking of the character as a kind of throwback to those bored, snobby rich guys who were so often in films of the 30's & 40's.  Of course, as I grew up I realized that those Noel Coward types weren't simply rich, sarcastic and urbane.  Yes, I can easily see Roger as gay but, of course, in denial¢â‚¬¦or at least not wanting to let the world in on it.  Marrying Laura would have served two purposes - revenge and protection incase Burke decided to out him.  If the show were running today I could almost see that being the way it would play out.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 11:39:55 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that I started a thread about what kind of sex Roger likes to have, without realizing it....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 11:43:57 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that I started a thread about what kind of sex Roger likes to have, without realizing it....

As I've posted a few times, I find it very hard to imagine Roger having any sort of sex with anyone else because he's way too in love with himself.  ;)  I'm actually more than willing to believe that David was a product of immaculate conception.  :D  Either that or in vitro fertilization came to Collinsport and was successful there far earlier than it was in the rest of the world.  [wink2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 11:57:34 PM »
I remember Laura saying [spoiler]she had competition for Roger's affections and that was with Roger himself.[/spoiler]

You make a good point, MB, Roger did seem to love himself more than anyone else, at least during the first year of the show.  He mellowed out a lot during the show, though he still held some shred of that stubborn, holier-than-thou rich guy he had been now and then throughout the series.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 03:52:18 AM »
  Either that or in vitro fertilization came to Collinsport and was successful there far earlier than it was in the rest of the world.  [wink2]

I'd buy that.  There's something about poor little David that just cries out "Petri Dish"!   ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
There's something about poor little David that just cries out "Petri Dish"!   ::)

Why drag Dick Van Dyke into this?!   Sorry.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 01:21:44 PM »
I'm actually more than willing to believe that David was a product of immaculate conception.
I'd buy this idea myself - only on the flip side.  After all, in the beginning anyway, David acted like he might have a 666 somewhere underneath those auburn locks.  >:D 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 02:15:14 AM »
As I've posted a few times, I find it very hard to imagine Roger having any sort of sex with anyone else because he's way too in love with himself.  ;)  I'm actually more than willing to believe that David was a product of immaculate conception.  :D  Either that or in vitro fertilization came to Collinsport and was successful there far earlier than it was in the rest of the world.  [wink2]

Where was Julia Hoffman, when Roger needed her.  She could have done it at Wyndcliff. The immaculate conception.  >:D She did a lot of new things.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
I agree that PT Roger was all out gay . Check out hose ascots lol !

We should probably be careful about reading something into the way characters are dressed that may not really be there. For example, ascots have mostly been used in films and TV shows to give a male character an air of sophistication. And, well, even Quentin is seen wearing them (as he is here in Ep #958):

And I doubt many would think that even though he is, Quentin is anything but DS' most notorious womanizer.  [wink2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 10:27:32 PM »
Ah, but Roger Collins wore HIS ascots "with a difference"!

I'm fascinated by the notion of (RT) Roger Collins as a closet homosexual.  It would actually explain a lot about the character.  In some ways he is very much in the vein of stereotypical "killer queens" in the more lurid 1950s paperback--the sort that came along in between Gore Vidal's "The city and the pillar" (1948) and John Rechy's "City of Night" (1963) (James Barr's "Quatrefoil" published in 1950, evokes the "twilight world" of closeted gay men of that time with a vivid clarity).  I am thinking now particularly of the original concept of Roger as seen in the first year of the series.  With Jason's appearance on the scene, Roger segues more into the snooty rural country club squire type--the kind who would characterize the rough trade his niece was dating as a "cheap, insufferable pig!"  (lol)  I always wondered whether Roger got written out of the Summer of 1970 storyline simply because the writers had run out of things for him to do.  I would guess that the real reason is that Louis Edmonds was doing theatre and needed a break.

The gay man who desires the glamorous woman of wiles appears most obviously in Laura, but in All about Eve the character of Addison is the same, and I still find his scene where he claims "Eve Evil, little Miss Evil" for his very own unutterably delicious.  In my younger days I found this scene just plain confusing because, like Eve herself, I couldn't imagine what Addison was actually planning to DO with her.  Presumably, become a trophy wife who would put paid to those persistent rumors regarding his true nature.

Fascinating speculations in this thread...

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 02:20:04 AM »
the characters louis edmonds played in the historical time periods(joshua,edward)didn't give me that gay vibe.they just struck me as pompous blowhards.

the more i think about "parallel-time" roger the gayer he gets.i recall a scene where roger is talking to angelique's portrait about how they had laughed and made fun of all the guests after a party she had hosted.way gay. ::)
i wonder if this was something subversive on the writers' part.they couldn't ever write this into the storyline in 1970 but it could be coyly suggested.

that's really the way i read that character.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 04:35:09 AM »
Ah, but Roger Collins wore HIS ascots "with a difference"!

Just to qualify, I'm not saying PTRoger couldn't be gay - I'm simply saying we probably shouldn't read something into a character purely based on the way they're dressed. Mode of dress is certainly used to define characters (there are some very insightful remarks from costume designer Rosalie Samplin Wallace in the '91 series' concordance regarding why she chose to dress certain characters the way she did), but it's but one way a show tries to convey the personalities of its characters. Though in PTRoger's case, there's plenty of other evidence that might support that theory.  ;)