Author Topic: New, Gothic "Dracula" Airs Sunday Night  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
New, Gothic "Dracula" Airs Sunday Night
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:03:17 AM »
I was enjoying last Sunday's BBC-produced Victorian mystery on PBS, and after the credits ran I was glad I hadn't turned off the TV, because what followed was a preview for this coming Sunday, February 11's "Masterpiece Theater."  Two lovely young women in an exquisite Victorian bed chamber - then a shot of vampire bites on the neck of one of the women.  At first I exclaimed, "Carmilla"!  Coincidence of coincidences, because I was in the midst of re-reading LeFanu's novella "Carmilla," a story I hadn't read since I was 11 years old.  However, it turned out not to be "Carmilla" after all, but a new production of "Dracula."

The count himself appeared very young, slouched on a divan, perhaps, looking very much the Byronic hero, and also rather "Goth."

You can see a trailer here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/dracula/index.html

I'd also recommend going to the Internet Movie Database to read the comments there.  The production aired in England over the holidays, and it didn't get very good reviews.  The consensus is that it has little to do with the book, although it does a great job creating an authentic atmosphere.  Opinion is divided on the actor playing the count.  I will say that he gave a compelling performance as the creepy Monks in the BBC production of "Oliver Twist" a couple of years ago.  So, he may not look like Stoker's count, but that hasn't stopped other movie versions.  At any rate, it should be of interest to vampire aficionados.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

David

Re: New, Gothic "Dracula" Airs Sunday Night
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 06:10:41 AM »
Other  than featuring vampires named Dracula, the 1931 Lugosi and 1958 Chris Lee Draculas had little to do with the book, but they were still wonderful films in their own right!
I look forward to this new Dracula as I would to any old fashioned Gothic chiller!

Anyone see the 2 part Jane Eyre that just aired on Masterpiece Theatre?
A perfect production for DS fans:
dark, gothic, spooky, and VERY romantic!!

David

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »

Sorry to disagree, but I thought the production was awful.  Toby Stevens was an abysmal choice to play Edward Rochester, in my opinion.  The man is supposed to be a brooding melancholy soul.....not a hyperactive twit.  But maybe the second half was better......I didin't bother to find out.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 04:06:12 AM »
Hoping not to go too much off-topic, I'll make a quick tie-in with DS.  Remember how the early part of the 1897 storyline drew a lot of inspiration from "Jane Eyre"?  For that matter, the whole governess situation that DS began with had many echoes from the novel.   ;D

I agree with David that DS viewers should find "Jane Eyre" of special interest.  From what I read about the recent BBC production that aired a couple of weeks ago, though, people who hadn't read the book loved it (for example, the San Francisco Chronicle reviewer, I think it was, thought it was great but showed he wasn't very familiar with the original novel's ideas); many of those who know the book, on the other hand, had big reservations.  I only turned it on for a few minutes, and at first was taken in by the beautiful settings, the filming, the costumes (probably too beautiful).  And I think this actress may have been right for the part had it been written true to the book (though she was probably too pretty).  And I usually hate to say that anyone is "wrong" for a part, but Toby Stephens (besides being way too pretty) was not Charlotte Bronte's character at all ... If I could let go of my impressions from the book, I might have been able to sit back and enjoy it (especially if I had thought more about DS).

That will be the challenge for me with the new "Dracula".  As a great admirer of Stoker's novel, every production has disappointed me to some degree, although some more than others.  (I rank Dan Curtis' version as one of the better ones.)  Some of the early Barnabas scenes on DS reminded me of the Stoker novel.

David makes a good point about previous versions of "Dracula" not adhering much to the novel.  I'll do my best to take his advice :

I look forward to this new Dracula as I would to any old fashioned Gothic chiller!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

David

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
sorry to sound shallow, but Toby Stevens' incredible beauty is one of the things I liked about this Jane Eyre!
But the castle set, the costumes, the dreary countryside all added many Gothic delights to the proceedings.
Dark Shadows' 1795 story could have been shot on the same sets!

Anyone ever see Franco Zeferelli's 1996 Jane Eyre?
I was shocked that the maker of the definitive Romeo & Juliet would make such a dull, flat film!

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:29:18 PM »
Dracula looks interesting enough to make me want to tune in.  Thanks for posting this, Vlad!

G.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 12:38:16 AM »
I've seen some ads for Dracula because I always watch "Are You Being Served?" before bed.  It looks pretty good.  I don't care much about the bad reviews, I'm sure it will be better than some of the 10 movies for $11 DVD's I've been buying lately. 

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it. What's not to love about a gothic vampire story with great costumes and pretty people ^-^
Teresa
PS-Good to hear from you Vlad, hope all is well!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 03:03:32 AM »

Sorry to disagree, but I thought the production was awful.  Toby Stevens was an abysmal choice to play Edward Rochester, in my opinion.  The man is supposed to be a brooding melancholy soul.....not a hyperactive twit.  But maybe the second half was better......I didin't bother to find out.

Oh i liked the production better than the William Hurt one for sure or George C Scott's version . .but then again I like Toby Stevens alot. .and his mum. . Maggie Smith.
Julia99

David

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:51:55 AM »
I didn't know Toby Stevens was Maggie Smith's son!
She's a GREAT actress!
what a theatrical pedigree he has!

David

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »
It was certainly different. But I'm not one of those people who thinks it's sacrelidge to do some tinkering with a classic story, so I thought it was different in a good way - especially if you've seen many different versions of Dracula. I particularly liked what they did with the Mina character. And the entire production definitely oozed atmosphere. In fact, the look of the production was incredibly well done.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »
A little spoilage in this...

I did like the atmosphere, and pervasive sense of foreboding. In general, though, I was underwhelmed; just another fairly drastic re-imagining of Dracula -- although I did rather like the idea of the count being an intensely evil, remorseless creature that sees humans as nothing but prey. None of the casting seemed particularly inspired, though Tom Burke as Dr. Jack was fair enough and David Suchet as Van Helsing worked out pretty well. Mina was OK.

The story seemed rushed to me -- no doubt to fit it into a 90-minute time slot. I'd much rather have seen a truer adaption, featuring some of the classic elements from the book that they excised in order to make way for the Holmwood-with-syphillis subplot, which struck me as rather needless. I think the writers said, "Well, we gotta do SOMETHING to make this one different from all the others; let's try this." Well...I'm not sure they quite hit on all cylinders.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
I was pretty underwhelmed.  Mina was a very interesting character and the little love triangle thing was more interesting than the vampire plot.  I didn't care for the count at all, he didn't make any impression on me whatsoever.  I also didn't care at all for the mildly blurry picture quality that they used on quite a few ocasisons.  The gothic atmosphere was only so-so as well.

After an hour I got bored and put on an episode of Dark Shadows. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »
For the most part, I enjoyed it.  The two stars of the production were the photography and Marc Warren's performance.  I liked Warren simply because he played the part with a different twist.  Since so little of the dialogue or story from the book was used, it made it easier to accept Dracula being very different from how he was described in the book.

Mina seemed to have been inspired by the portrayal of Mina in the comic book series, The League of extraordinary gentlemen (not to be confused with the disastrous film of the same title).  I actually thought certain scenes may have owed a debt to Dark Shadows. Mina and Lucy's meeting with Dracula on the Whitby cliffs, for one.  (I don't think they actually filmed in Whitby.  For my money, Dan Curtis' use of Whitby locations was really quite imaginative in his version of this tale.)

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:36:46 PM »
There is a novel, entitled "Moon Rising" which explores a fictional love affair between Bram Stoker and a young woman he meets in Whitby while working on his novel.  The author is Ann Victoria Roberts and the book was published by St. Martin's Press in 2001.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas