Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0224  (Read 2583 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0224
« on: February 02, 2007, 06:05:34 AM »

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0224
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »
Episode #224

David begs someone to please let him out! He bangs on the door, tries to open it again to no avail and suddenly the dogs stop howling and barking. Barnabas appears and when David tells him about the problem opening the door, Barnabas of course is able to go right over and open it. He tells David he wasn't grasping it correctly. (I had no idea there was a secret to turning a doorknob!) David tells him he was afraid of the dogs howling and that he thought they were actually in the room with him (it sounded that way to me too) Barnabas assures him they are not.

He asks why David is there, and David explains about coming to ask about the portrait of Josette. If Barnabas doesn't want it anymore can he have it? Barnabas tells him that portrait can't leave this house, it belongs here, and it will hang prominently in one of the other rooms when they are fixed up. At that time David can come by any time he wants to see it. (Here we go with this "come by anytime" business, knowing good and well that he doesn't mean it and he will make Willie look unfriendly and rude when he tries to get rid of anyone who comes by!)

Willie appears (finally!) and David is informed that Willie works there. He seems pleased (he's the only one!) Willie tells David it's time to go home now, obviously concerned about Barnabas meeting anyone, even his young cousin. As David leaves Barnabas tells Willie he worries too much (this isn't the last time he'll say this, and given what Willie knows about Barnabas he has a good reason to worry!) But at least Barnabas isn't going to harm David [spoiler]yet! not til he thinks David knows his secret![/spoiler]

At Collinwood Jason smokes as he looks out the window when Liz appears. He asks about dinner but she has come for another reason. She wants him to do something about Willie working at the Old House. (I don't know what she thinks he can do, he's Barnabas' "employee" now.) Jason says he'll take care of it, he had not been aware that Willie was still in town and working of all things!

As she turns to go he asks about that little "detail", has she taken care of it? She says it's being arranged, and it will take a few days. He kvells in the fact that he is to have a Swiss bank account, he's always wanted one and now she's making his dream come true. He wonders what the number will be, he hopes it's lucky (how about 666?) Now we know why she sold that land to Hackett! (What a pig Jason is, I hate him more with every episode!)

He goes upstairs and Barnabas enters with David. They tell Liz about their conversation concerning the portrait, David is satisfied that he will see the portrait again. Liz is happy that Barnabas has been able to put David's mind at ease concerning that. David leaves and Liz wants to talk to Barnabas. She asks him to do her a favor, get rid of Willie immediately!

Barnabas plays this scene with finesse. He tells her that Willie has changed, he is now working, he is doing a great job at the Old House, and she has no need to worry about him, he is totally under control,  he does what he is told without argument or reluctance (by virtue of my fangs and cane, which he doesn't tell her but we know!) When she protests that Willie is a troublemaker, he has been asked to leave town (by who? Only Burke who hasn't got that authority!), does Barnabas know about Willie's past? Barnabas says he will cause no more problems, but if she insists, he will let him go, it's entirely in her hands, she is very wise, he will submit to her judgement, though he's sure Willie is a different person and he'd like to give him the chance to prove himself. With this argument Liz is pretty much forced to give in, since if Willie really wants to reform himself she can't stand in his way. She will give him the benefit of the doubt. Barnabas knows how to get her eating out of his hand!

Jason goes over to the Old House and when Willie answers the door he asks if the "lady of the house" is at home. (The old Willie would have punched him out and I felt like doing just that!) He just pushes his way into the house, and starts demanding answers from Willie. Willie says he's busy but Jason will have his answers. Well, this isn't the lap of luxury now is it? What are you doing here? Willie says he's working, doing some carpentry and plumbing (I was pleased to hear this, maybe he's fixed up an indoor bathroom for himself!) Jason teases "A little light housekeeping?" (By now my fist really ached to make connection to his nose!)

Jason rags on him that he swore years ago he'd never work, now he's working in this dump doing piddly dink jobs. Willie claims he wanted another way to live (and who can blame him? Though slavery ain't so nice, he must feel somewhat better about himself working now rather than stealing) Jason doesn't believe this, Willie likes money and now here he is working for someone who's loaded. He demands to know what Willie is up to, and then Barnabas appears and tells Jason he'll tell him what Willie's up to. Jason turns nervously, hadn't heard Barnabas come in. Barnabas then praises Willie's work on the squeaky floorboards! (Poor Willie!) Barnabas sends Willie out to do that "job" and Willie leaves.

Jason is amazed to see Willie as an errand runner, how did Barnabas get him under his control? Barnabas has a way. He explained to Liz about Willie's working there to her satisfaction and Jason has to be content (for now) but he wants to warn Barnabas about the kind of man Willie is. Barnabas says he already knows. Jason offers his help in dealing with Willie should he get out of line, but Barnabas says he can deal with him far more effectively. (Yeah he has the secret weapon, Jason!)

At the Evans cottage Maggie brushes her hair. Sam comes in, he's fixing to go to the Old House to work on Barn's portrait. She doesn't want him to go, she feels afraid for some reason, probably because of all the attacks on girls in the village. He says he'll stay if she wants but she tells him to go because Barnabas is paying him good money. After he leaves she goes to bed.

At the Old House, Sam is working on the portrait. Barnabas is pleased with his progress but Sam comments he'd like to work on it some in the daylight. Barnabas talks about his "ancestor" whose portrait was also painted in this room. He asks if Sam's daughter drove him up, Sam says no she is at home. Again Barnabas comments that she is a lovely girl. Sam agrees, she is a hard working girl and he'll be happy when she marries. Barnabas says her future is already assured. (We know what he means by this but Sam doesn't and I was surprised he didn't ask.)

Maggie falls asleep and has a frightening dream in which she is in the woods or a cemetary (??) and comes upon a casket. She opens it and sees herself in it. She screams and then her face turns to a skeleton. Very frightening. She awakes screaming.

Alondra
[/b]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »
What a fabulous episode!  This is the one I alluded to in a previous post, where ABC's S & P office sent in notes stating that it must not seem that Jason is implying that Willie and Barnabas are a gay couple, in the dialogue about Willie and "light housekeeping."

Jason is such a treat to watch.  He says that line about the Swiss bank account with such sleazy zest.

Maggie's dream is so brilliantly staged.  When I first saw these shows I thought this was the first of the surreal dream sequences on DS, but now of course we know that they had had plenty of practice in the preceding Laura Collins storyline.

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »
REVIEW!

David's still locked in the Old House with the dogs going nuts outside. Lots of people have said it before, but I'll just repeat it again. The kid actors on the show were fantastic. Especially David. Despite his previous murderous tendencies, he really was a cute kid.

David's curious about the portrait of Josette. Barnabas shows him his new portrait and promises Josette's portrait will be hung in a "prominent place". I don't know why, but for the first time I noticed the artist's sketch on Barnabas' portrait. Willie shows up, what on earth does he have in his vest pocket? It looks like a press badge or something.

Liz confronts Jason about Willie's employment at the Old House, which both of them find a bit incredulous. Jason promises to take care of Willie, then inquires to the progress of his Swiss Bank account. It's being taken care of.

David and Barnabas return to Collinwood. David's hungry and Liz sends him off to the kitchen to get something to eat. (Wasn't Jason just inquiring about dinner?) Liz wants Barnabas to fire Willie. Barnabas is reluctant to do so. I wonder if Liz had demanded he send Willie off if Barnabas would have killed him. It's probably a guarantee. Even from afar I'm sure Barnabas could exercise control over Willie, but out from under his thumb, it would have been too much of a risk. Cool lighting on Barnabas, but where exactly is the floor light coming from? Liz acquiesces to Barnabas' guarantee of Willie's good behavior.

Jason has made good on his offer to check Willie out. Willie's shocked to see Jason at the Old House and more than a little uncomfortable at the visit. Willie claims to do the plumbing, but does the Old House even have any? Jason's extremely suspicious of Willie's new job and the motivation behind it. He gets physical, but his cool demeanor returns when Barnabas makes his presence known. Barnabas sends Willie out. He has a job to do, I'm still not sure what it is. I like my grave robbing idea. No story backing, but it's delightfully gruesome. Jason offers to lend Barnabas a hand should Willie become a problem, but Barnabas assures him that he has more effective methods.

At the Evans cottage, Maggie's sort of spooked at the thought of being alone that night. Sam offers to stay with her but she declines. She heads to bed and has one hell of a spooky dream. I like the whole wandering through the forest bit. This was one of the first dream sequences I ever saw on the show and I thought it was brilliantly creepy. Love the dry ice effect. I have to say though, I've had some pretty freaking scary dreams in my life, and I have never woken up screaming from them. Any of you?

At the Old House Sam continues to not actually do any painting on the portrait. Seriously, he did over half the painting in one night, then continues not painting for another couple weeks and suddenly the portrait is done. Small talk about Maggie in which Barnabas casually remarks, "I'm sure your lovely daughter's future is already assured."

Favorite line of dialogue: Did I startle you?

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
WOW David really looks frightened, with the tears and motionsl.  Great job!  and then Barnabas is there.  Did you see the small smile forming as he glared down at David?  I agree with David, it sounded like more than just 'one' stray dog and in the house vs. outside!  Does it mean the vampire is getting closer?

Barnabas is gentle with David, telling him about the portrait and that he can come anytime to see it.  Again, with the open invitation for someone to come around anytime, day or night, to the house.  Is Barnabas trying to be found out?

Willie worries for good reason.  Barnabas thinks it's too much but I disagree.

"Willie and I have an understanding," Barnabas says to Liz while she's requesting him to get rid of Willie.  An understanding... yes you could call it that but it's one-sided.  He says he has Willie under his "complete control".  If she only knew what type of control.  In all fairness, Barnabas is actually sticking up for Willie, for his own reasons of course.  He has such a knack for getting his way...he manipulates the situations with such finesse that people don't even know they are being manipulated.  I just wonder what he means when he says "I can dismiss him at the slightest sign of trouble."  Does that mean dismiss equals "death"?

Jason goes to see Willie and drill him on why he's still around.  Willie says "a little this and that, carpentry, plumbing..."  Plumbing?  So that means there's running water, indoor toilet, and such?  I didn't remember this being said.  Jason gets a little rough with Willie [minus the slapping] and demands to know what he's up to, working for a rich guy.  Why should he care?  He has a rich woman who he's scamming.  Let Willie have his scam, if that is what it is.  But Barnabas walks in and tells Jason exactly what he's doing there.  Nice touch.  Jason can't bully Barnabas like he does Willie.

Does anyone else remember combing their hair 100 times for that shiny look?  I do but it's not a habit anymore.  Maggie sure seems nervous, enough to not want her father to go out to paint.  What does she have to be afraid of, being home, safe behind locked doors... they are locked aren't they?  Dreams are always spooky on this show.  Maggie's is no exception.  Seeing yourself in a coffin and then your head turning into a skeleton can spook anyone!  I think KLS screams much better than that dream scream.  It didn't even sound scary.  Seems Barnabas is causing Maggie to have dreadful dreams, setting her up for later.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »
Jason goes over to the Old House and when Willie answers the door he asks if the "lady of the house" is at home. (The old Willie would have punched him out and I felt like doing just that!)

I think this is one of the funniest lines they ever came up with. And if I were Jason, I would have asked the same thing. Wicked!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 08:36:52 PM »
Jason is a treat to watch, he can be such a charmer (except when he's threatening Elizabeth) but I am always cheering whenever I watch the episode where

[spoiler]Barnabas wrings his greedy, worthless, sleazy neck.[/spoiler]

666, yeah that number would fit Jason perfectly! Or better yet how about the unlucky 13, that would be more deserving for the unscrupulous Mr. McGuire.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 09:09:17 PM »
I loved this show. (They used more than 4 or 5 actors yeah) My favorite line is when Barn asked if David had been crying and he said no but he was scared. So very much like a little boy.

I also wondered if the film the dream sequence more than once and how they put it in. This was a great show and I loved everones comments.

[spoiler]I wonder what happened to the money in the swiss bank account when Jason was gone did Liz get it back ???  ^-^[/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 09:40:11 PM »
Seems Barnabas is causing Maggie to have dreadful dreams, setting her up for later.

Or maybe Josette or Sarah is trying to warn her?

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »
Or maybe Josette or Sarah is trying to warn her?

I hadn't thought of that.  [scratch2] In fact, I like your theory better!  [headbang] Why would Barnabas "warn" her of her death?  But Josette or Sarah might.  I'd say Josette since she's the one who has been shown on the show before this.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 01:30:50 AM »
[spoiler]I wonder what happened to the money in the swiss bank account when Jason was gone did Liz get it back ???  ^-^[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Elizabeth probably closed the account so Jason couldn't get another red cent....I mean what was Jason gonna do, come back and bitch about it? 

Personally I think he should have been forced to repay every dollar he blackmailed Elizabeth out of. He certainly didn't deserve to live on any more Collins money after his whole scheme was exposed.[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 01:59:13 AM »
Gosh, what an enjoyable episode.  Willie's life hung by a thread there - I felt that if Elizabeth had nixed him, then Barnabas would have disposed of him casually and found somebody else.  And then telling Sam that Maggie's future is all set - makes the blood run cold.

What more can I say?  It's one of those episodes that still any desire in me to quibble, and I sit long afterwards in front of the blank TV set, reveling in the feeling.  On the other hand....I do wonder about dinner.  Liz must have dressed for it, because she was wearing a different dress from the one she wore in yesterday's episode.  Jason asks when dinner will be, so it's not at a set time.  David is allowed to go to the kitchen and get a sandwich, so either Liz has dressed very early for dinner or else David doesn't eat dinner with the grown-ups.  Probably the former, because Jason wouldn't have gone down to the Old House to check up on Willie if dinner had been soon.  Mrs. Johnson may burn everything, but a meal's a meal.

[spoiler]Elizabeth probably closed the account so Jason couldn't get another red cent[/spoiler]

But she couldn't have done that.  It wouldn't have been hers to dispose of.  So Jason
[spoiler]shouldn't have needed the stake that he demanded that Willie provide.  (Oh, golly, it just hit me - Jason was looking for the wrong kind of stake!)  And I don't think there would have been any red flag attached to the account - in the 1960s things just didn't happen that fast, and anyway, isn't the deal on Swiss bank accounts that you don't have to worry about that sort of thing?  Oh, well, maybe Jason just couldn't resist a little bit of larceny to cheer him up after his failure at Collinwood.[/spoiler]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 02:09:24 AM »
I hadn't thought of that. I thought when he left it was with nothing, that's why he was so desperate to [spoiler]get some of the jewels he saw Willie and Barnabas going through as he looked into the window. When Willie gave him only one jewel it wasn't enough. He needed more. I think it was partly his desperation that caused him to go downstairs where he thought the rest of the jewels were. Of course we know what happened to him there.[/spoiler]

If he'd still had the Swiss banking account, why was he so desperate?

Alondra
[/b]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 03:29:51 AM »
What a fabulous episode!  This is the one I alluded to in a previous post, where ABC's S & P office sent in notes stating that it must not seem that Jason is implying that Willie and Barnabas are a gay couple, in the dialogue about Willie and "light housekeeping."
Oh for crying out loud.
It's a joke! It doesn't mean anything more than Jason teasing Willie.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 04:45:39 AM »
But she couldn't have done that.  It wouldn't have been hers to dispose of.  So Jason
[spoiler]shouldn't have needed the stake that he demanded that Willie provide.  (Oh, golly, it just hit me - Jason was looking for the wrong kind of stake!)  And I don't think there would have been any red flag attached to the account - in the 1960s things just didn't happen that fast, and anyway, isn't the deal on Swiss bank accounts that you don't have to worry about that sort of thing?  Oh, well, maybe Jason just couldn't resist a little bit of larceny to cheer him up after his failure at Collinwood.[/spoiler]

Oh geez, I didn't realize that. So if [spoiler]Jason hadn't met his untimely demise at the hands of Barnabas, he would have continued living off money he had absolutely no right to in the first place for the rest of his life?!! That's depressing....as if it wasn't bad enough he didn't go to jail for his awful hoax that cost Elizabeth 18 years of her life.

In that case, I think she should have thought twice about letting Jason off the hook for the blackmail. After what he did to her, he should never have seen another cent of the Collins fortune.

But I guess it's a moot point anyway since Jason never did get a chance to live off  or indulge in his undeserved new wealth with the money in the swiss bank accounts.[/spoiler]