Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0222  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0222
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 07:12:55 PM »
I don't think vampires can be photographed.  Barnabas naturally would want a new portrait painted of him so he could see himself and know what he looked like.

I had this little scenario where Barnabas asks Willie what he looks like. Willie tells him and Barn wants to know what age he looks. Does he look Willie's age? Willie tells him he looks like he's in his 40's. Barnabas isn't happy since when he was put in the coffin he was around 30 so he must've aged somewhat at least in his appearance. Maybe he's attracted to the younger women because in actuality he's not the age he looks, but about 10-15 years younger. So when Julia comes around and she's attracted to him he thinks that's ridiculous because in his eyes she's about 15 years older than he. I'm not counting those 172 years in the coffin.
I know from watching "Angel" that vampires must ask permission before entering a house for the first time. 
I hadn't heard this, it's been a while since I read "Dracula." This is interesting. I will keep an eye on this as the show progresses to see if our vampire actually does ask permission before entering each new dwelling. Not that there are really all that many on this show.

Alondra

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 09:10:34 PM »
Gee, Maggie was pretty dumb!  It didn't dawn on her at all that maybe Barnabas was the one who was following her?!   [7385]

Everyone seems to trust Barnabas because he's a Collins.  Maggie really doesn't know him but he is a Collins and polite so she trusts him.  I agree, it's very dumb since she just had the feeling someone was following her and in comes Barnabas no more than a few seconds behind her.

This is the first time Barnabas disappeared suddenly.  I think at this point, his coffin would have been in the Old House, so that's where he went.  I agree that Barnabas and Willie must have planned this ahead of time, since there was no time for Barnabas to talk to Willie before dawn.

I wondered if he had time to move his coffin to the Old House.  It makes sense since he had to hurry, no time to waste and vanished.  Great effect to the story.  I wonder since there's a bond between Willie and Barnabas, if Willie just knew what to say and do.

I know from watching "Angel" that vampires must ask permission before entering a house for the first time.  I remember he had to ask to enter Collinwood and Maggie's house when he first arrived.  I guess the diner doesn't apply, though - he was able to appear there without asking permission. [rleyeg]

I love Angel and BTVS. The diner is a public place and according to the Whedon vampire universe, public places was open season to vampire.  So that may explain why Barnabas could enter the Inn and diner without invitation.  I never really paid attention to him entering people's homes invited or not.  Usually he is though.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »
I know from watching "Angel" that vampires must ask permission before entering a house for the first time.
That's the case in the book Dracula as well, but I don't think you can assume that what's true in one fictional world is also true in another.  Dark Shadows ignores a lot of the usual vampire stuff.
I've regretted this post ever since I made it, because I think that EmeraldRose had a point.  While I don't think that, in the Dark Shadows world, it was necessary for a vampire to get permission to enter a house (heaven forbid that there be actual rules on Dark Shadows!), I do think that the writers liked making the literary connection by having Barnabas knock on people's doors and be invited in.  I'm wondering, though: Let's assume that permission is required.  Would it be necessary for Barnabas to get it at Collinwood in 1967, given that he had already been there as a vampire in 1795/6 (although, at this point, that had not yet been established on the show) or would there be a time limit - say, a century or so - after which the permission would lapse if it were not used?

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
It's good to see David Ford.  He's a big favorite of mine.  He always seems casual and unforced.

I agree, I like him too. In 1795 he provides some amusing comic relief as Andres DuPres who groans and moans in disbelief when his sister (the countess) talks about witches and possession. He's actually very funny sometimes. Probably the whole soap opera pace became too much for him because (also) in 1795 he is obviously having troubles remembering his lines. A shame.

Both Andres DuPres and Sam Evans are great supporting parts and David Ford is very likeable.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »
I'm trying to catch up with the eps after having to deal with a broken DVD player.  :-[

When Barnabas wanted to have his portrait painted, I too thought he was a bit vain and self centered, but after thinking about it for a while, I came to the conclusion most of you have, that having one's portrait commissioned was quite a natural thing to have done in the eighteenth century, and throughout the show, we se Barnabas clinging to his old-fashioned ways, and this would certainly be in keeping with his character.

Maggie feels that she is being followed, then seconds later Barnabas shows up and she lets him in? Give me a break! Maggie and Barnabas begin chatting about the attack that happened a few nights ago, Barnabas acting all concerned, then Maggie says, "I'm sure you didn't come here to discuss the local crime rate."  8)

I like seeing Sam's worry for Maggie, and rightly so. He comes home and tells her he was worried when he didn't find her at the coffee shop, and that "he came home as fast as that old station wagon would go."
I enjoy these cool lines of dialogue!
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 12:27:48 PM »
I had this little scenario where Barnabas asks Willie what he looks like. Willie tells him and Barn wants to know what age he looks. Does he look Willie's age? Willie tells him he looks like he's in his 40's. Barnabas isn't happy since when he was put in the coffin he was around 30 so he must've aged somewhat at least in his appearance. Maybe he's attracted to the younger women because in actuality he's not the age he looks, but about 10-15 years younger. So when Julia comes around and she's attracted to him he thinks that's ridiculous because in his eyes she's about 15 years older than he. I'm not counting those 172 years in the coffin.

What a very interesting idea. I like it! It would certainly make sense in the way he is always attracted to younger women. His mentality is much younger, even though he looks older. I'd never thought of it that way.

I heard somewhere, I can't remember where, that vampires didn't age.So shouldn't Barnabas's appearance remain the same upon his death?   ???
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"