Author Topic: How cold is it really in Collinwood. Is there a vent to the fires of Hell  (Read 1977 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Had the news on  and it said it was 3 below 0. I wonder in the modern era how all our gals got away with wearing those dresses. You harly saw the gals in pants not to mention jeans.  >:(
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
I always thought they should have been cold. They wore all those sleeveless dresses and only had the heat from the fireplace to warm them. It's supposed to be Maine where it would never be that warm even in summer. But we never see snow either so go figure.

Alondra

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
We see people in coats but the women always wear skirts.  I think women's legs are tough because they have to get use to the cold weather.  Now we DO see Julia wearing all those tweed suits so SHE'S warm!

AND they always have the fireplaces going during all seasons.  I wonder if there's central heating in the huge mansion?
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
If there's central heating at Collinwood, I can just imagine Elizabeth having kittens every time it breaks and a repairman has to go down into the basement to fix the furnace.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Carolyn wore slacks sometimes, didn't she?  Especially when she was dating Buzz (and riding his hog).
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
If there's central heating at Collinwood, I can just imagine Elizabeth having kittens every time it breaks and a repairman has to go down into the basement to fix the furnace.

People can't go down in the basement. We all know what is kept in the basements. In both houses.   [skelleton_2]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Maybe they're all Pheonix's who can live off the fire? Lol. Or maybe they're all vampires so they're used to the cold.....hmm...doesn't seem to work.

Perhaps they were really in a NYC studio that was heated? Does that sound plausible? But then how did they fit all that house and acreage into that little bitty space? Magic, indeed, Mr. Collins.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Millions of women in the 60s felt obligated to wear short skirts because of fashion, no matter how cold it got.    My sister did, and hated it.

And yes, Collinwood had a vent to the fires of Hell.    No snowdrifts, but you get creatures and whatnot.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I always wear skirts.  It's not a fashion statement; I'm simply too lazy to deal with two types of clothing, so pants don't happen.  I never think about how cold my legs are; I'm always too busy thinking about my poor frozen toes.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I always wear skirts.  It's not a fashion statement; I'm simply too lazy to deal with two types of clothing, so pants don't happen.  I never think about how cold my legs are; I'm always too busy thinking about my poor frozen toes.
Too lazy to deal with two types of shoe too, so it's just open-toed for you?  >:D

Ok, so we have hellmouths in Sunnydale, Cleveland, and Collinsport, eh? ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Carolyn wore slacks sometimes, didn't she?  Especially when she was dating Buzz (and riding his hog).

carolyn's wearing of slacks here was specific to the buzz storyline(the better to ride that "hog" with).she never wore these before or after this.

however there was an episode in 1968 where she inexplicably shows up in a full riding habit complete with crop and jodhpurs!this was kind of funny because there was never any mention of stables being on the estate.she had a scene with tony peterson here so my guess was that this getup was supposed to make her look like a "spoiled rich girl".

there has been some debate over whether or not maggie's quilted maxi-skirt was not in fact extreme bell-bottom pants.i prefer to think of it as a skirt. ;)

towards the end of the show's run they seem to get a bit more lenient in terms of woman wearing pants.megan todd wears them in a few episodes and i think both parallel time carolyn and angelique get a few fetching slacks ensembles.

but in general it was minidresses no matter how frigid it was supposed to be outside.conversely during episodes filmed during the summer everyone still wore heavy wool coats. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
but in general it was minidresses no matter how frigid it was supposed to be outside.conversely during episodes filmed during the summer everyone still wore heavy wool coats. ::)

Then there was always the Inverness. [spoiler]He even found one in the PT room, when he went into the room without it.Sometimes a long coat. [/spoiler]

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
I loved the image someone posted a couple years back of Joshua and Naomi in the drawing room of the Old House with a Christmas Tree beside them. Anyone have that?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I loved the image someone posted a couple years back of Joshua and Naomi in the drawing room of the Old House with a Christmas Tree beside them. Anyone have that?

It's in the Members' Archive, which I know I keep saying will return sooner rather than later, but it really will.  ;D  All the existing posts have been added to the database, and it's just a matter of the forum switching over to SMF 1.1 and my completing the theme for it.

And nice to see you posting again, Dr. L.  :)