Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #164  (Read 14468 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #164
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:48:51 PM »
ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
The Official Dark Shadows Published Newsletter & News Source
< ShadowGram@aol.com >

Number 164.   January 23, 2007.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

More details, photos, media coverage, and other materials will be in the actual published ShadowGram print issues, including the upcoming SG #109.

*** PRE-BARNABAS EPISODES - NOW AVAILABLE ONLY TO DS DVD CLUB MEMBERS

MPI asks SG to announce the release of the first of 6 DVD sets featuring DS' earliest episodes. They will be issued throughout 2007.

This exclusive offer is only for Club members; the DVDs are not available to retail outlets. Collection 1 is being shipped now directly from MPI.

"Bonuses on DS Beginning DVD 1: A new Alexandra Moltke introduction to the series, plus interviews with Alexandra, an original 1966 ABC DS promo, and Episode #1 with original commercials playback option.

"The DS: The Beginning DVD Collection will be comprised of 6 total Collections ($54.98 each). A new set is made available every other month, starting in January, 2007. They will solely be available to DVD Club members at that time as part of their normal membership installments."

For information or to join the DVD Club, please contact MPI directly: www.darkshadowsdvd.com  or call 1-800-323-0442 weekdays.

*** NEW DS AUDIO DRAMAS NOW AVAILABLE

"Big Finish Productions have just released two new DS audio dramas, The Christmas Presence and The Rage Beneath, concluding their first season of stories starring David Selby, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker and John Karlen. "The Christmas Presence features a winter's tale at Collinwood, as a curious spirit infiltrates the ranks of the house. The Rage Beneath brings the series to a close, with a deadly spirit rising from the ocean on a vengeful mission. Robert Rodan guest stars in the story, which also features a cameo from Marie Wallace. "Both CDs retail for $15.00 each and can be ordered for $17.50 postpaid from www.darkshadowsreborn.com, which stocks the complete range of DS audio dramas.

--- Debut Announcement
"Big Finish are pleased to announce that DS will return for a second season of audio dramas later in 2007. There will also be a CD documentary release in March titled 'Dark Shadows: The Legend Reborn.' "'The Legend Reborn' is an in-depth behind the scenes documentary, presented by Kathryn Leigh Scott, featuring interviews with the cast and creative team behind the new audio dramas. The release will also include a free bonus CD album of Joseph Fox's incidental music score from the series, including previous unheard material. "The 2-disc set will retail at $15.00 and will be available for pre-order from www.darkshadowsreborn.com later this week."

*** UNIQUE DS COLLECTIBLES STILL AVAILABLE

The DS Fan Club/Festival still has original DS kinescope negatives (one copy per each actual episode); the 2007 DS Calendar; the newly-published "DS: The First Year" book; and autographed copies of "Produced & Directed by Dan Curtis" - the career biography of the late DS creator/producer/director. All these items are available from www.darkshadowsfestival.com

*** SPECIAL REQUEST

It has recently been discovered that Jonathan Frid (Barnabas) made a guest appearance on actress-singer Della Reese (Touched by An Angel) television talk show, simply titled "Della," which aired from 1969-70. Jonathan, in fact, appeared on the very first show, telecast on Fri., June 6, 1969. This was during the height of DS' popularity. Interestingly, another guest on the show was Vincent Price.

Unfortunately, neither Ms. Reese nor the distributor retained copies of the show. Should someone have an audiotape recording of Jonathan's appearance, please notify ShadowGram via e- or postal- mail at:   ShadowGram@aol.com  or  P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766. This is needed for an official DS project.

*** BETSY DURKIN MATTHES - NEW BOOK SIGNINGS PLANNED

Betsy asks SG to announce 2 upcoming appearances for her fashion guide, "Dressing The Man You Love." Fans attending either event are invited to send their reports, pictures, local publicity, and other material to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses.

"On Feb. 8 from 5-8PM (or 6-9 PM (please check exact time closer to the event), a book signing in honor of Valentine's Day will be held at Coffman's Mens Wear, 505 Red Banks Rd., Greenville, N. Carolina 27858. Telephone: 252-756-8237.

"On Feb. 9 from 10AM -2PM, a book signing in honor of Valentine's Day will be held at Borders Books in the Raleigh Durham National Airport, 1600 Terminal Blvd. - 2nd Floor, Raleigh, N. Carolina 27623. Telephone: 919-840-1155.

"Betsy hopes that all DS fans in the area will come to one of these two events and have their picture taken with her." In 1968, Betsy played "Victoria Winters," 2nd Casting.

*** ROGER DAVIS APPEARANCE
SG is told he plans to attend the Hollywood Collectors Show on Feb. 16-17 at the Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel (formerly the Burbank Airport Hilton Hotel). There is an admission fee to the show and "all of our celebrity guests will charge a fee for their autographs." Website: www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com Roger played Jeff Clark and other roles on DS.

*** ALEXANDRA MOLTKE ISLES - NEW DOCUMENTARY RELEASE

Alexandra portrayed "Victoria Winters" from Episode #1 until 1968, when she left DS because she was pregnant with her son. She has become an accomplished director of documentary films.

Her 4th and newest movie opens up the hidden worlds of small, local gardens tucked away in many corners around Manhattan. "The Healing Gardens of New York City" shows the green places and those who develop, encourage, nurture, and love them in the midst of urban life.

The film is available on dvd for $295 or to rent for $85. Contact The Cinema Guild, 130 Madison Ave., Second Floor, NYC, NY 10016 . 800-723-5522. http://cinemaguild.com/catalog/catalog.htm?http%3A//cinemaguild.com/mm5/merchant.mvc%3FScreen%3DPROD%26Store_Code%3DTCGS%26Product_Code%3D2224

More information about "Gardens" will be in the upcoming SG #109 print issue.

*** SPECIAL NOTICES:

# 1 - SG is The Official DS Newsletter & News Source and its actual SG print issues have been published for almost 28 years (since April, 1979). The next issue, SG #109, will be ready soon for all current postal-mail subscribers.

That SG #109 spotlights details, exclusive and behind-the-scenes pictures, media coverage, and more for the DS Fest's 40th Anniversary Celebration, the DS Halloween Party, all the above and recent news, and more.

Over recent months, I've had a greater work load at my job that requires me to spend more hours there every day. I've also had some health matters and other real life things that are taking much of my time and attention. I'm always kept fully informed about DS news and announce key time-sensitive "bulletins" on this Updates List. These e-mail posts are fully explained and expanded in the published postal-mail issues. I appreciate all the understanding and support I have from SG subscribers and DS fans worldwide.

# 2 - SG is a co-founder of the DS Festival conventions and I continue to be very involved in each event. Details for the 2007 Fest event are not yet finalized. SG and the Fest ask fans to please be patient until SG makes the official announcements / updates regarding confirmed plans.

*** FAN SHARING: Fans attending Betsy's and Roger's appearances are encouraged to please share their photos and reports. Also please send any references for DS, its cast/crew, products, etc., whenever and wherever you find them. These materials are included in the SG published newsletters for SG readers worldwide - including the DS cast/crew members themselves. I send complimentary copies of every SG print issue directly to the DS personnel.

You will be named as a Contributor in the published SG issue. Major input brings you a Contributor's Copy in thanks. Please send  jpeg  photos to SG's e-mail address or send hard-copy photos to SG's postal-mail address. Both addresses follow below.

This SG Online DS News Updates List will update all the news in this post. The upcoming SG #109 print issue will have the latest complete detailed developments, photos, reports, and additional information.

Thank you.

Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

SHADOWGRAM (SG) is the * Official * "Dark Shadows" Newsletter. Much of its news is provided by the show's personnel and those involved in the 1966-71 TV series, 1991 TV series, and 2004 WB pilot. Established in 1979, SG works directly with individuals, companies, and others involved in DS' creation, distribution, promotion, merchandise, etc.

Regular SG print issues are published throughout the year, with free bonus complimentary breaking-news published updates as needed.

Brief Update bulletins are posted on this ShadowGram Online "Dark Shadows" News Updates List / Marcy Robin's ShadowGram "Dark Shadows" Cyberspace News Updates List. These posts are sent via e-mail between regularly-published issues to quickly notify fans of time-sensitive developments. Each e-mail Update is expanded and detailed in the subscription postal-mail print issues. You also can receive this identical SG Online Update by joining the ShadowGram Group at yahoogroups

SG postal-mail print issues are immediately available:

--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send print issue subscription payment to:

Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.

Online subscription payment can be made via Paypal to: ShadowGram@aol.com

For more information on the newsletter, please write with a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the above postal-address or e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com

Whenever your e-mail address changes, please notify me immediately. Please include your old and new e-mail addresses. If you do not wish to remain on the Online "ShadowGram / Marcy Robin's Cyberspace Dark Shadows News Update List," please notify me directly via return e-mail. Thank you.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #164
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »
# 2 - SG is a co-founder of the DS Festival conventions and I continue to be very involved in each event. Details for the 2007 Fest event are not yet finalized. SG and the Fest ask fans to please be patient until SG makes the official announcements / updates regarding confirmed plans.

I had really hoped we would have some Festival news by the time the new SG announcement came out.  One's patience can realistically extend for only so long.  I have several friends who are very anxious about getting details for the 2007 event because they must submit their vacation time requests now, not 5 months from now or whenever SG expects to finally release details.  If a number of regular attendees can't get the time off to go to the Fest, then attendance will suffer, creating the problem of low profitability alluded to in other threads and a vicious cycle will ensue.  I don't know which "details" have not yet been finalized but would it be too much to ask for just a general idea of when/where the Fest will probably be (e.g. are they finalizing an East or West Coast event? Is the event more likely to be in August or July?)? I don't think anyone expects a guest list and schedule yet, but the basics would be good to know.

ProfStokes

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
Does anyone know when they will come available to non club members?? That is the earlier sets?

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »
I had really hoped we would have some Festival news by the time the new SG announcement came out.  One's patience can realistically extend for only so long.  I have several friends who are very anxious about getting details for the 2007 event because they must submit their vacation time requests now, not 5 months from now or whenever SG expects to finally release details.  If a number of regular attendees can't get the time off to go to the Fest, then attendance will suffer, creating the problem of low profitability alluded to in other threads and a vicious cycle will ensue.  I don't know which "details" have not yet been finalized but would it be too much to ask for just a general idea of when/where the Fest will probably be (e.g. are they finalizing an East or West Coast event? Is the event more likely to be in August or July?)? I don't think anyone expects a guest list and schedule yet, but the basics would be good to know.

TOTALLY agree!  I'd like to know 1) which coast and 2) which month.  Your post is very articulate, to the point and not bitchy.  Perhaps you should forward to Pierson.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:26:04 PM »
Quote from: loril54
Does anyone know when they will come available to non club members?? That is the earlier sets?

We don't know.  Barring any delays, it will take a full year for the entire DSTB series to come out (and for the complete series to be available on DVD, yay!), but you probably knew that.  ;)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:10:50 PM »
I, too, eagerly read through ShadowGram for any hint of 2007's festival and was very disappointed. You're right, ProfStokes. If they don't announce SOMETHING soon, attendance will certainly suffer and set up a lose-lose scenario. I know I've been checking periodically on the official festival site as well, and nothing. It's quite frustrating.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »
I know I've been checking periodically on the official festival site as well, and nothing. It's quite frustrating.

You'll find out from SG before you'll find out from that website, that thing is a virtual cobweb.    ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

David

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:39 PM »
I'm REALLY GLAD I taped Alexandra's new film when it aired on Link TV.
It's quite a lovely piece, but $295 is a bit steep for a 57 minute disc!!!!!!!

I also greatly liked her 2nd film, the deeply moving Scandalize My Name.

David

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 08:19:12 PM »
ITA Buzz! That fest site is rarely updated, and when it is it's only updated far after we've already heard the news.

And I'd like the basic details too. I want to know if it's going to be on the East coast and when it will be so that I can ask for time off as well, and start planning the trip.

$295 for Alexandra's new documentary? FOR ONE DVD?!!! ARE YOU KIDDING?!!!! It's a wonder that she sells any at all.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »

$295??!!  That's ridiculous!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

David

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:30 PM »
I got Scandalize My Name for ten bucks at Borders!

What's up with her new one?

David

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »
I recall booking my reservation for Brooklyn the day I found out when and where the Fest was scheduled.  And I'm CERTAIN it wasn't as early as January.  I don't have paperwork that would tell me for sure, but I'm thinking it was no earlier than March.

I think it just SEEMS like forever..... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »
Perhaps Moltke makes her work available first for charitable proceeds, and afterwards, to the public for a more reasonable price.  She travels in a social circle that makes a life's work of helping one another's charitable efforts.

On the other hand, let's not forget that New York City is one of the most expensive places on earth to make films.  If she's producing these efforts herself, she's paying the earth.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »

That's what most videos and dvd documentaries cost for institutions or for broadcast rights. There's usually not a huge market for individuals for these things--HBO and PBS documentaries aside. In a few months you might see if your respective public or academic libraries have a copy you can borrow.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 03:37:33 AM »
I recall booking my reservation for Brooklyn the day I found out when and where the Fest was scheduled.  And I'm CERTAIN it wasn't as early as January.  I don't have paperwork that would tell me for sure, but I'm thinking it was no earlier than March.

I think it just SEEMS like forever..... ;)
I no longer have the paperwork for my reservation, but I believe I made my reservation in late December.

But even if it took that long for the room rate info. to become available, the dates and location for the 2006 Festival were listed in the program for the 2005 Fest.  That means for five months, people knew when and where the Fest would be even before they were able to make reservations. The dates and location for the 2005 Fest were announced in October, 2004 and the location of the 2004 Fest was announced at the 2003 banquet. 

I don't expect the Festival to provide every detail now as to who will be the guests, what the activities will be, and how much admission and rooms will cost but I think it would be courteous at the very least to let potential attendees know when and where the blessed thing is going to be.  If the specifics have not been "firmed up" at least give us a ballpark estimate.  For example: "The Festival will be held at the Anaheim Marriott during either the last weekend of June or the third weekend in July." or "We have tentatively scheduled an event for Labor Day weekend and are in the process of confirming a location in the New York City area."  At least then people would have an idea of when to put in for time off and whether or not to put aside money for airfare.  As long as I've been attending Fests (since 2000) the bare basics have never been this late in coming.

ProfStokes