Author Topic: What if there are no more fests . . .  (Read 10055 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What if there are no more fests . . .
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 06:43:19 AM »
The other day, victoriawinters and I were discussing how much we miss the presence of Dennis Patrick at the Fests.  I suggested that it would be neat if the Fest ran footage of previous Fest Q&As from when people like Mr. Patrick, Joan Bennett, Michael Stroka, or Clarice Blackburn were still alive.  That way new fans who weren't attending when these people were still around can still hear from them and enjoy watching their interactions with the other cast members.  If the Fest were to do this, people would be able to at least hear and see Bennett and Frid, though not in person. 

It would sure beat yet another screening of DS Bloopers.  :P

ProfStokes

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 06:48:39 AM »
I was very young when I started attlending the fests,so I'm a little fuzzy on actual dates.  But I do know that Jim was the Festival Chairman at least a few years before he went to work for Dan Curtis.  I believe that was actually in 89, so my guess would be that he took over around 84 or 85?

Pierson became the Festival chairperson in 1986.

CrazyJenny and Midnite, thank you for clarifying the timeline of when Pierson came aboard!  So when he became the chairman of the Fests, at that point (1986-1989) they were still primarily fan-run not-for-profit, just-for-fun ventures?

ProfStokes

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 07:01:36 AM »
I think that's a great idea.  Many people taped the Q&As so they are readily available.  The late Dave Brown put together what is really a brilliant montage of great fest moments he called "Memories" but I don't know if it was shown beyond one time at the fests.

Nancy

The other day, victoriawinters and I were discussing how much we miss the presence of Dennis Patrick at the Fests.  I suggested that it would be neat if the Fest ran footage of previous Fest Q&As from when people like Mr. Patrick, Joan Bennett, Michael Stroka, or Clarice Blackburn were still alive.  That way new fans who weren't attending when these people were still around can still hear from them and enjoy watching their interactions with the other cast members.  If the Fest were to do this, people would be able to at least hear and see Bennett and Frid, though not in person.

It would sure beat yet another screening of DS Bloopers.  :P

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 08:36:29 AM »
If the Fests really aren't making a profit, why don't they just raise the price of admission a little bit?  Not that I want to pay more money, but the $25-30 we've been paying for the whole weekend ever since I started coming in 1990, if not even before that, seems more than reasonable to me, and I couldn't blame them if they had wanted to raise the price a little bit over the years.  Also, if some people aren't coming back to the Fests because they feel there isn't enough excitement and they've been there/done that, why don't Jim Pierson and "the committe" use some of the suggestions the fans have made over the years to make the Fests more fun?  Several years ago they had questionnaires at the information desk for fans to fill out to make suggestions for things to do and places to have the Fest at, but none of those suggestions were taken up on, and they have the same events year after year.  So why not go through the questionnaires and try some new activities to get more people to come?  

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:47:16 PM »
If the Fests really aren't making a profit, why don't they just raise the price of admission a little bit?  Also, if some people aren't coming back to the Fests because they feel there isn't enough excitement and they've been there/done that, why don't Jim Pierson and "the committe" use some of the suggestions the fans have made over the years to make the Fests more fun?  Several years ago they had questionnaires at the information desk for fans to fill out to make suggestions for things to do and places to have the Fest at, but none of those suggestions were taken up on, and they have the same events year after year.  So why not go through the questionnaires and try some new activities to get more people to come?  

ITA w/this Mary!  I've been coming to these things since 1990 and they have always been $25 for the entire weekend.  There have even been years where it was $25 for TWO ppl.  So I find Nancy's assertion that a profit must be made for them to continue a little ridiculous since not only are they NOT raising prices after at least 16 years, but in some instances charge LESS.  I realize that the stars are flown in on the ¢â‚¬Ëœcompany dime' and their expenses are paid, but there must be another source of revenue going on here.  It can't ALL be contingent on the admission price or the amount of ppl attending, for the reasons I've mentioned above.

I too am scratching my head over WHY they bothered w/that survey when they did NOTHING w/it.  What, I ask you, was the point of asking fans to list the top 10 cities they'd like the Fest to go to, then not use the information?!  I find it impossible to believe that a majority of fans stated NYC or LA as their top choice, thus negating the need to move it to another, possibly CHEAPER city!  I know many fans who said they'd love for it to go to cities OTHER than the usual two.  Some have said DC, Orlando and Chicago to name a few.  They could have the Fest go to a ¢â‚¬Ëœsuburb' of any of those cities to keep the costs down rather than having it IN said city where the prices would be higher (hotels, food, etc¢â‚¬¦), but still be close enough for fans to reasonably get TO said cities to site-see etc¢â‚¬¦

The other day, victoriawinters and I were discussing how much we miss the presence of Dennis Patrick at the Fests.  I suggested that it would be neat if the Fest ran footage of previous Fest Q&As from when people like Mr. Patrick, Joan Bennett, Michael Stroka, or Clarice Blackburn were still alive.  That way new fans who weren't attending when these people were still around can still hear from them and enjoy watching their interactions with the other cast members.  If the Fest were to do this, people would be able to at least hear and see Bennett and Frid, though not in person.  It would sure beat yet another screening of DS Bloopers. 

Excellent suggesstion Professor!  I would love to see a panel for Clarice as I never got to meet her.  Who wants to see the bloopers AGAIN!?  Especially since most of us own either the VHS or DVD copy of it and can watch it anytime we like in the comfort of our own homes?

We don't need the same thing every year--the same clips of DS, the same type of programs, the same stage talks and Q & A sessions.

Totally agree Brandon!  I for one am sick to death of Marcy Robin's self-serving ¢â‚¬Ëœfan panel' which is neither informative nor entertaining.  I'd rather sleep in on Sunday morning, LOL!  Your suggestions were good ones and should be at least considered by Pierson and company.

The so-called "committee"/ those who have been associated with the festival (the so-called committee) 

Question, why do you keep saying the ¢â‚¬Ëœso-called committee', as if one doesn't exist.  For the record, that's how they refer to themselves in the Fest program.  Maybe you've never read yours, but on page one it lists, FEST COMMITTEE-Jim Pierson, Chairman, Marcy Robin/Kathy Resch et all, Guest Relations, and so one.  We the fans did not come up w/this phrase, they did.

Now, having had my say on all this, why are we even discussing the possibility of there being no more Fests?  Didn't we establish in another thread that there WILL be a Fest this year?  Didn't Charles Ellis post that he heard from Jim Pierson himself that plans were being finalized as we speak and an announcement is forthcoming?   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
I quite like the idea mentioned by ProfStokes about playing Q&A sessions from the past. That would be a great treat, especially since some of the stars like Joan and Clarice don't even have interviews on the DS DVDs (to my knowledge anyway), so it would be great to get some insight about the show to them, especially since many of the other stars speak so highly of them all the time.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »
I've been coming to these things since 1990 and they have always been $25 for the entire weekend.  There have even been years where it was $25 for TWO ppl.  So I find Nancy's assertion that a profit must be made for them to continue a little ridiculous since not only are they NOT raising prices after at least 16 years, but in some instances charge LESS.  I realize that the stars are flown in on the ¢â‚¬Ëœcompany dime' and their expenses are paid, but there must be another source of revenue going on here.  It can't ALL be contingent on the admission price or the amount of ppl attending, for the reasons I've mentioned above.

Perhaps not all attendees can afford to pay a higher fee for the event?  I've seen guest rooms at past Fests with fans sleeping on the floor to save money.

Question, why do you keep saying the ¢â‚¬Ëœso-called committee', as if one doesn't exist.  For the record, that's how they refer to themselves in the Fest program.  Maybe you've never read yours, but on page one it lists, FEST COMMITTEE-Jim Pierson, Chairman, Marcy Robin/Kathy Resch et all, Guest Relations, and so one.  We the fans did not come up w/this phrase, they did.

I know you directed your question to Nancy, but I recall reading these telling comments from another committee member a while back (about the announcement of a "Farewell Festival"):
Also, I've seen several posts that seem to suggest that this was a decision of the Dark Shadows Festival "Committee". There is no "committee". There were never any "committee meetings". At one point, in the program books, the term "committee" was changed to "staff". The Festival decisions are made by Jim Pierson and Ann Wilson alone. Many of the Festival "Staff" have long thought that the Festivals did indeed need a reinvention and made this known to Mr. Pierson. However, no noticeable changes ever came.
which gave me the impression that the powers of the Festival Staff/Committee are quite limited, making it a so called committee, but not "so called" because the Fest Committee doesn't officially exist.

Also, can we please dial down the tone of this discussion a bit?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »
Perhaps not all attendees can afford to pay a higher fee for the event?  I've seen guest rooms at past Fests with fans sleeping on the floor to save money.

I was referring the cost to get in to the Fest, not hotel room rates.  Getting at least one roomate, or more, is definately the way to defray room costs.  And to cut down on food costs, don't eat at the hotel if at all possible!  Go out and find something cheaper.  ;)  Being one who has both slept on the floor and a roll-away I can tell you it's worth it to save money.  ;)

I know you directed your question to Nancy, but I recall reading these telling comments from another committee member a while back (about the announcement of a "Farewell Festival"):
which gave me the impression that the powers of the Festival Staff/Committee are quite limited, making it a so called committee, but not "so called" because the Fest Committee doesn't officially exist.

True, they don't 'meet' and discuss the next year's Fest.  But they used to put in those programs that they were a committee.  They indeed may now call themselves 'staff', I haven't  looked at a program in about 10 years, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 08:32:52 PM »
I thought of that too, Buzz -- up the price of admission. It's awfully low, not that I mind, but I would certainly be willing to spend more. Room rates are what they are, and having roommates does help defry that cost. I usually room with four other women, so it helps out a lot!

I, too, had heard from Jim Pierson about this, as was posted on another thread. He said, as Charles said, plans were not finalized but an announcement would be made shortly. There was no mention of no fest.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »
ITA w/this Mary!  I've been coming to these things since 1990 and they have always been $25 for the entire weekend.  There have even been years where it was $25 for TWO ppl.  So I find Nancy's assertion that a profit must be made for them to continue a little ridiculous since not only are they NOT raising prices after at least 16 years, but in some instances charge LESS.  I realize that the stars are flown in on the ¢â‚¬Ëœcompany dime' and their expenses are paid, but there must be another source of revenue going on here.  It can't ALL be contingent on the admission price or the amount of ppl attending, for the reasons I've mentioned above.

You say this but offer no other source of income for the fests besides admission. 

I too am scratching my head over WHY they bothered w/that survey when they did NOTHING w/it.  What, I ask you, was the point of asking fans to list the top 10 cities they'd like the Fest to go to, then not use the information?!  I find it impossible to believe that a majority of fans stated NYC or LA as their top choice, thus negating the need to move it to another, possibly CHEAPER city!  I know many fans who said they'd love for it to go to cities OTHER than the usual two.  Some have said DC, Orlando and Chicago to name a few.  They could have the Fest go to a ¢â‚¬Ëœsuburb' of any of those cities to keep the costs down rather than having it IN said city where the prices would be higher (hotels, food, etc¢â‚¬¦), but still be close enough for fans to reasonably get TO said cities to site-see etc¢â‚¬¦

I agree with you.  It seems silly to ask for this kind of information and then do nothing with it.

The so-called "committee"/ those who have been associated with the festival (the so-called committee) 

You just answered your own question.  A "committee" doesn't exist yet that is what it's been called for many years.  I don't know about your personal experience but when I have been on a committee for an organization, it meets or at least speak regularly about upcoming events, has input, things are voted on, etc.   I assure you this doesn't happen with the DS Fest "committee."  I've been on it so I know.

ow, having had my say on all this, why are we even discussing the possibility of there being no more Fests?  Didn't we establish in another thread that there WILL be a Fest this year?  Didn't Charles Ellis post that he heard from Jim Pierson himself that plans were being finalized as we speak and an announcement is forthcoming?   ;)

Maybe you do not recall that a short time ago, Jim Pierson indicated that there would not be anymore and then after an outcry another one was scheduled.  The announcements are coming later and later and I wondered what recourse fans would take if another festival as we know it was not planned. 

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 09:39:51 PM »

Exactly.  Jim Pierson told me this not once but several times that he needed to keep the price down in order for most fans to attend.  When you have middle-aged people sleeping six in a room or on the floor, clearly they have just enough money to come to the event and enjoy themselves but that's it.

Also, I've seen several posts that seem to suggest that this was a decision of the Dark Shadows Festival "Committee". There is no "committee". There were never any "committee meetings". At one point, in the program books, the term "committee" was changed to "staff". The Festival decisions are made by Jim Pierson and Ann Wilson alone. Many of the Festival "Staff" have long thought that the Festivals did indeed need a reinvention and made this known to Mr. Pierson. However, no noticeable changes ever came.

You are right, Selby.  I didn't start this thread to criticize the festival, Jim or anyone else - I just wondered what alternative course fans might look at should they need to since we have already had one scare that another fest would not be happening, that's all.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 09:42:53 PM »
True, they don't 'meet' and discuss the next year's Fest.  But they used to put in those programs that they were a committee.  They indeed may now call themselves 'staff', I haven't  looked at a program in about 10 years, LOL!  ;)

Hence the term "so-called committee." ;D

Nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 10:04:10 PM »
You say this but offer no other source of income for the fests besides admission.

Not sure what you mean by this statement.  How would I know what these other sources are?  It's not like I have Jim's ear.  But there have to be some because there's no way the Fest pays all it's bills solely on that admission price.  Sorry, not possilbe.   :-

I've been on it so I know.

First you say there's no committe, then say you're on it.  Which is it?

Maybe you do not recall that a short time ago, Jim Pierson indicated that there would not be anymore and then after an outcry another one was scheduled.

No, I *do* remember.  The only reason they are still going on is because the stars, KLS in particular, had a fit in 2003!  But we're not talking about that Fest, we're talking about this one.  Why bring up a different topic?
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 11:02:05 PM »
Not sure what you mean by this statement.  How would I know what these other sources are?  It's not like I have Jim's ear.  But there have to be some because there's no way the Fest pays all it's bills solely on that admission price.  Sorry, not possilbe.   :-

Well, you indicated that my "assertion" was a "little ridiculous" in spite of the fact I have been involved with the fests for years and you have not.  You said that my assertion was a "little ridiculous" but offered no countering reason or information and you now admit that you have no facts to offer on your own to refute my statement you chose to take issue with.  I'm sure you didn't take issue with it simply to take issue so I asked the question. ;)

I've been on it so I know.
First you say there's no committe, then say you're on it.  Which is it?

"I've been on it."   Iindicates past tense; something that used to be the case.  One of the reasons I got off it was because I didn't want to be called a member of a "committee" that wasn't a functional/real one.  Committee is spelled with two "e"s, by the way, not one.;)

No, I *do* remember.  The only reason they are still going on is because the stars, KLS in particular, had a fit in 2003!  But we're not talking about that Fest, we're talking about this one.  Why bring up a different topic?

Buzz, go back and read the beginning of this thread and the topic title  as well.  The topic is what would fans see as an alternative if there were no more fests.   That's been the topic on this thread.  We were not discussing this fest at all but what would happen and what could fans do should they stop which has been threatened before.  Please be sure you yourself are on topic before telling others they are not. It creates unnecessary friction and gives the impression you just want to fight which I am sure is not the case :D

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 12:01:24 AM »
Yes, they were.  I didn't attend a fest until 1985 when Maria Barbosa was the chairman.  In 1986 the reigns were handed over to Jim.

One of the big changes for the festival attendees was getting access to material such as old commercials DS actors did and other items that was possible via DCP contacts and the fact it was also a production company.  If the average person tries to get some material from the golden age of TV or even some films she can expect to pay a hefty price for it if it can be obtained at all by someone not associated with a production company.  When Jim started working with DCP material was obtained and shown at the fests that probably would not have been possible otherwise.

That said, any future Fests that are fan run would be able to license some material to show at the fest if that is what they wanted to do.  It just might cost a lot.

Nancy

CrazyJenny and Midnite, thank you for clarifying the timeline of when Pierson came aboard!  So when he became the chairman of the Fests, at that point (1986-1989) they were still primarily fan-run not-for-profit, just-for-fun ventures?