Author Topic: When did TV to film adaptations start?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When did TV to film adaptations start?
« on: November 27, 2006, 05:57:03 AM »
TVGuide.com's FlickChick mentions hoDS in her column about TV shows being made into feature films:

Movies Based on TV Shows: They've Been Around for a Long Time!
(However, apparently whoever wrote the synopsis for hoDS on the normally factual TVGuide.com must have seen a completely different version of the film than I have because I certainly don't remember any scenes in which Jonathan Frid turned Joan Bennett into a vampire.  ::)  (Though it most certainly would have been incredibly interesting to see the stately Liz vamped.  :D)  Also, who knew Thayer David was actually playing a doctor? Or that both he AND Grayson Hall fall prey to Frid's blood lust?  :-   (I must have missed the vampire attack(s) on Julia.  :() And, of course, I COMPLETELY disagree with their accessment of NoDS!  >:(  (But that probably goes without saying.  ;)))

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: When did TV to film adaptations start?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »
Geez.....getting THAT much information wrong at one time must have taken one hell of an effort......

They must pay her VERY well........ [hall2_rolleyes]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:19:50 PM »
One of the most common pieces of misinformation  [hall2_huh] repeated about Dark Shadows
is that it was the first TV show to be adapted for the "Big Screen." By the time "House of Dark Shadows" came out in 1970, McHale's Navy, Batman and the Munsters had already had features made from them. Now if you count TV cartoon shows, and there's no reason not to, you can also add Yogi Bear and the Flintstones which had animated full length features, all of these films by 1966. As far as I can tell, Dark Shadow's main distinction is that it is the only TV soap opera to have a feature film. I might add only a few drama TV shows had feature films, the X-Files comes to mind, but that one of course was much later. These are all directly tied into the original productions.
     (I am not counting feature films made from TV shows, such as edits of Green Hornet, Superman or the man from UNCLE released as feature films, as these are just re-edits.)
        The rage of reinvention of TV to feature films, is a newer phenom, which I guess you can blame on the big success of The Addams Family. But at leats that one had its merits.

Michael  [director]

PS Don't get me started on the abominations that were The Avengers and Wild,Wild West films!  [hall2_lipsrsealed]

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

David

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:11 PM »
In 1954, 4 eps of Adventures of Superman were strung together and released to theatres, but these were originally aired on TV.
Does this count?

David

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:48:53 PM »
In 1954, 4 eps of Adventures of Superman were strung together and released to theatres, but these were originally aired on TV.
Does this count?
I thought about that right after I posted. The Superman I was referring to was the Reeves series, but re-edits of TV series do not really qualify as original features. However 1951's "Superman Versus the Mole Men" counts as that was made directly for theatres. Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels also did some Lone Ranger features in color just for theatres as another example of ones that do count. (trivia, the Lone Ranger featutes are color, the TV show was always B & W, the Reeves series was switched to color to extend its syndication life, as well as to re-edit it for features in Europe and kiddie matinees.)
      By the way, I miss when the IMDB separated film and TV appearences on their lists, unlike the way they do now.
       Anyway, Shadows is the only show I can think of that had two original theatre films, as X Files has never followed through on a promised second feature.

Michael
  [Bat]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

David

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:06:05 PM »
Superman & The Mole Men came first in 1950, and was preceded by Superman serials in 1948 and early 1950.
Their sucess led to the TV show which followed.

Mole Men is now available on the DVD box set, Adventures of Superman Season 1, which also includes the 2 part episode Unknown People, which uses footage from the film.

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:32:18 PM »
By the way, I miss when the IMDB separated film and TV appearences on their lists, unlike the way they do now.

Oh I HATE that they combine TV and movies too! 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »
There was also a re-edit version of several episodes of Timmy and Lassie which later became a feature film.  In the story, Timmy and Lassie somehow get stuck in a balloon, float away, come down in the wilderness, and survive, finding their way home, and not once did Timmy get stuck in a well.

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 09:38:07 PM »
There has got to be some type of pirated fan-version of HODS out there, or something, because this is the umpteenth time that I've seen completely wrong information about HODS. I don't know where they get this information--maybe there's a faulty website out there that they think is good? Or maybe they all turn to the same short description that is incorrect in the first place.

Whatever the reason, they ought to get a DS fact checker out there who can put them in the right place!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 12:38:19 AM »
Many 60s shows were turned into movies.  It Takes a Thief was another one.    Star Trek was a special case of course.   The trend of recasted remakes definitely started with Addams Family.  That one was talked about for years and years before it actually got made.   I imagine it was a hard-sell.   Everything changed when it was a hit.  Beverly Hillbillies was the second one.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor