Author Topic: Upgrading to DVD / was: Re: Of all the time-travelling stories on the show....  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I like freedom and there wasn't that much in previous eras.  The problem is, millions can't handle freedom.   When they have it, they squander it on superficial pleasures like kids in a candy store.   The consumer culture encourages and even demands this of people... it fuels the economy.   Sex, snacks, cars, newer and newer formats for entertainment so you throw it all out and rebuy all your music and movies.... flashy toys....

Oh God do I ever agree with this!!! I can't imagine why someone would buy the DVD of the same movie they have already on video. I have an uncle who does that and I just think of all the money he's wasting by replacing his entire movie collection, and believe you me, it is QUITE large.

And I agree with Gerard, 1995 was quite interesting. And it is very amazing that Julia never spilt anything or dirtied that dress once.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Upgrading to DVD / was: Re: Of all the time-travelling stories on the show....
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:08:16 PM »
I can't imagine why someone would buy the DVD of the same movie they have already on video.

I actually do that.  The picture quality is so much sharper on DVD, and you never have to worry about your VCR deciding to eat the tape of one of your favorite movies.  Also, most of the movies I have on video are recorded off the TV, so I have to fast-forward through the commercials when I watch them.  And they're of course edited.  But that's nothing - I actually see a lot of people on other message boards who will buy DVD's of movies they already have on DVD - just because they came out with a new version with a couple of extra featurettes, or maybe this new one is 16X9 enhanced, where the old one wasn't.  That's a bit much even for me.

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:47:46 PM »
The consumer culture encourages and even demands this of people... it fuels the economy.

I personally am very fond of consumerism.

N
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »
I can't imagine why someone would buy the DVD of the same movie they have already on video.

I actually do that.  The picture quality is so much sharper on DVD, and you never have to worry about your VCR deciding to eat the tape of one of your favorite movies.  Also, most of the movies I have on video are recorded off the TV, so I have to fast-forward through the commercials when I watch them.  And they're of course edited.  But that's nothing - I actually see a lot of people on other message boards who will buy DVD's of movies they already have on DVD - just because they came out with a new version with a couple of extra featurettes, or maybe this new one is 16X9 enhanced, where the old one wasn't.  That's a bit much even for me.

Well I could see if your tapes of those movies are in bad condition, but otherwise I don't get the point. And I totally agree with you on the DVD aspect--people who buy the new ones just because they have ONE new scene in it, when they have the old one anyone. I wonder just how much money those companies make off of those re-releases of movies that have already been released on DVD. One that pops readily to mind is King Kong, the new version. I didn't particularly like the movie at all, and I didn't buy it on regular DVD. But now they've released a new version with tons of extras and this and that. I wouldn't be able to sit and watch all those extras. Not many movie extras get it right for me.

And is it just me, or are outtakes not really outtakes on comedy's anymore?
Brandon Collins

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:38:16 PM »
Well I could see if your tapes of those movies are in bad condition,

I only replace movies I have on tape w/DVD if they are either worn out or in danger of being worn out 'cause I watch them a lot (like once a year) like Ferris Buehler's Day Off or Planes, Trains & Automobiles etc...  I agree Brandon that directors/producers put out a million frickin' copies w/"new scenes" or bloopers whatever.  This is why I don't have a problem whatsoever w/pirating!  They double, triple, quadruple etc...dip so they deserve it when ppl pirate. 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I can name 5 movies off the top of my head where the picture was so much better on the DVD that it changed my impression of the movie: Persuasion (the 1995 version), M, And Then There Were None (1945), The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and The 39 Steps (1935).

As for Dark Shadows, the hiatus between watching tapes and watching DVDs was long enough for me so that I can't make the comparison.  But my master plan is to end my days in a nursing home watching Dark Shadows round and round in a loop, and that will be much easier with DVDs.  ("NURSE!!!  Come change my DVD!  And my Depends, while you're at it!")

IluvBarnabas

My VCR went bust and barely any stores around my area sell very much of them anymore that I really had no choice but to get a DVD player. And I must say the DVD quality is definitely much better than on the tapes. And also I can just pick a favorite DS episode of mine and watch it whenever I want without rewinding or fast-forwarding.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
I will never as long as I live be able to afford DVDs since even if I get a player, I never was and never will be able to afford to actually buy commercial copies af shows and films.    And I have an apartment full of old and rare stuff on VHS that won't be on DVD perhaps ever, anyway.  I'm absolutely committed.

My original post wasn't really about DVDs, that was just one small thing.  Is everyone rushing out to buy Blue Ray?  That's the next thing.   If people overall were less concerned with the machinery, and more with content, the culture could be in better shape.    DS viewers aren't being criticized here.   All of you enjoy a low-tech show made 35-40 years ago, overlooking bloopers, other problems.   That takes character.

Consumer culture is fine as long as it isn't so all-pervasive that it screws up the feelings and perspectives of masses-- generations-- of people, for short-term profit.    Look at Springer and court shows for all the childish, irresponsible, selfish types, the extreme cases, and most don't get anywhere near that far 'out there'.   Most are just quiet about it, usually.    They pay their taxes, so they're mainstream.

McDonalds, and the rest of consumerism?  Fine, within reason.   The influence of companies like that is way out of hand though.   In a shallow culture where nothing really matters, except short-term gratification, no wonder people snap.  Then they scratch their heads on the news reporting it, and wonder why.    The culture should nourish some, or it's worse than useless.    Our culture is like parents who throw expensive toys at the kids and then leave them on their own to raise themselves.   Bad analogy, the culture isn't our parents.  But this may be erased for being OT, and it's too long.   No time or space to fix it.  
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
But this may be erased for being OT,

No, and your mention of DS was appreciated, but your comments, though fascinating, introduced something like 4 more topics.  And this one was already split into an off-topic discussion, so can posters please stick to that one-- upgrading formats?

and it's too long.  No time or space to fix it.

Actually, any use of the preview feature and self-editing done by posters is always appreciated by the moderators.  :)

But oops, that's yet another topic.  ;)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
My original post wasn't really about DVDs, that was just one small thing.  Is everyone rushing out to buy Blue Ray?  That's the next thing.   If people overall were less concerned with the machinery, and more with content, the culture could be in better shape.    DS viewers aren't being criticized here.   All of you enjoy a low-tech show made 35-40 years ago, overlooking bloopers, other problems.   That takes character.

Take character it does!!!!

And I don't know about Blu Ray. What is up with that? $35 for a flipping DVD? I'm not even sure of the benefits of having it on Blu Ray. Is it better picture or something? I don't know. I can't imagine what MPI would charge for them if they released the DS series on Blu Ray-- $100? I'm sure they wouldn't be cheap. Especially given the fact that they charge $60 for the regular DVD sets where others charge $40. So MPI would have to at least charge $80 for them, I would think.
Brandon Collins

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I guess Blu Ray and HD-DVD have better picture quality, but it would be pointless to release Dark Shadows in those formats because the quality of the original master tapes is already far below what regular DVD's are capable of displaying.  I suppose if someone were to go over every episode and do some sort of restoration of them, but that would be ridiculously pricey and the DVD's would be astronomically expensive. 

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Well no kidding! The prices would be up there! Only the lady who bought Barnabas' portrait at the fest would be able to afford the $1000 a set price they'd surely have.  [hall2_grin]
Brandon Collins

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Actually, any use of the preview feature and self-editing done by posters is always appreciated by the moderators.  :)

I do an insane amount of quality control and editing considering the severe eye thing... there just isn't the time or concentration available to me to fix all problems.    At that point in the previous post, I was literally injuring my eyes and had to bail out.    This should explain any rambling or loss of focus, or perhaps other mistakes, in the future.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Upgrading to DVD is valid for reasons of picture quality and (in the case of most films) getting the film in its proper aspect ratio. I try to buy my DVDs used, and to not double dip unless there is some interesting and valid extra content (e.g., The Criterion Collection remastering a film and pairing it with LOTS of supplemental material). When that happens, I donate the old disc to a local college's film department.

As for all the HD stuff, I'll wait til they settle on a format. And til I have an HD monitor to watch the stuff on. (A friend has one, and the difference is kind of astonishing.)

It takes all kinds. I can't really sit in judgement of someone else's purchases when I'm looking at over 1000 episodes of a 40 year old soap opera on my shelf... :P
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
When that happens, I donate the old disc to a local college's film department.
My university library has an extensive DVD collection thanks in part to donated titles. So thank you to anybody who does this sort of thing with unwanted DVDs. It is definitely appreciated.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)