Author Topic: Heartbreakers  (Read 1382 times)

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
Heartbreakers
« on: November 15, 2006, 04:16:35 PM »
Hello to All Cousins!

Who was DS's biggest heartbreakers and why?
dvlvan26, Class of 2007

IluvBarnabas

Re: Heartbreakers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »
The biggest heartbreaker that first comes to my mind is Quentin Colllins (the 1897 version that is). We all know he broke more than a few hearts before he left Collinwood as well as after he returned to Collinwood. [spoiler]He was always hitting on the hired help (Beth, Rachel) and women who were either married or engaged to members of his own family (Laura, Angelique).[/spoiler]

I am gonna have to say Barnabas could also be a heartbreaker, most especially to poor Julia. She had to tolerate his falling for every SYT he came in contact with and was expected to keep her emotions in check, which she did but it had to have been so difficult with her.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 04:43:47 PM »
The biggest heartbreaker that first comes to my mind is Quentin Colllins (the 1897 version that is). We all know he broke more than a few hearts before he left Collinwood as well as after he returned to Collinwood. [spoiler]He was always hitting on the hired help (Beth, Rachel) and women who were either married or engaged to members of his own family (Laura, Angelique).[/spoiler]I am gonna have to say Barnabas could also be a heartbreaker, most especially to poor Julia. She had to tolerate his falling for every SYT he came in contact with and was expected to keep her emotions in check, which she did but it had to have been so difficult with her.

I'm gonna agree, The Q and B men.  As for heartbreaking scenes I'd have to say one of the most heartbreaking scenes for me was [spoiler]when Barnabas returns to the Old House after days of searching for Josette, only to be told by his father that she's returned as Jeremiah's wife.  Jonathan did an excellant job looking thoroughly heartbroken and you could hear in his voice too how sad he was.  Those sad, puppy dog eyes get me every time I watch that scene![/spoiler]   :'(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:33:32 PM »
So, angelique.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

David

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »
Angelique for sure.
Look at all the tragedy she caused.

The end of 1795 can move you to tears!

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:16:27 PM »
In those scenes it was hard to watch Julia as you knew her heart was breaking but I don't feel sorry for her beyond that.  If I was that in love with someone and it was clear he wasn't interested and subsequent dalliances distressed me, I would remove myself from the picture entirely.  Why cause yourself that kind of continued pain?

Nancy

I am gonna have to say Barnabas could also be a heartbreaker, most especially to poor Julia. She had to tolerate his falling for every SYT he came in contact with and was expected to keep her emotions in check, which she did but it had to have been so difficult with her.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:08:24 AM »
Maybe Julia decided it was better to have a disinterested-in-her-romantically Barnabas in her life than no Barnabas in her life at all! ::)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:51:00 AM »
Well, it is.    Friendship is seriously undervalued.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »
i don't mist up often with the show but one scene comes to mind that i thought was rather sweet.

during barnabas and julia's brief visit to the year 1995 they encounter an aged and insane carolyn.

carolyn in looking through a photo album and she cannot recognize a picture of herself as a young girl.

barnabas tell her that she was a girl of "courage and spirit" and that she was in fact her.then as he makes his departure...and barnabas rarely does anything without some sort of self-serving motive...he pauses and gives carolyn a small kiss on her forehead.

it's just a nice gesture of affection that we don't often see.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 08:26:13 PM »
i don't mist up often with the show but one scene comes to mind that i thought was rather sweet.

and barnabas rarely does anything without some sort of self-serving motive

How about when [spoiler]Barnabas wanted to help cure Chris from his werewolf curse? Barnabas had nothing to gain for himself by trying to help Chris, he understood all too well what it was liked to be cursed.

Or when Julia told him to leave her behind in 1970 and he flat out refused? You could say Barnabas didn't want to lose his watchdog but I say by this time Barnabas really truly cared for Julia that he wouldn't leave her behind for any reason whatsoever (not even when he knew she betrayed him to the sheriff).

Barnabas endulged into the I-Ching to contact Quentin in an effort to save David's life. (What a refreshing change from the old nasty vampire Barnabas who was eager to want to kill David even though he wasn't absolutely sure that the boy knew his secret). Professor Stokes warned him that he'd be placing his life in danger, but Barnabas was determined to do it anyway to save the boy.

When Adam kidnapped Vicki (yet again) and tried to kill her in the basement of the Old House Barnabas shot Adam at point blank, knowing Adam could die and he would revert back to being a vampire, but he didn't care because he wanted to save Vicki's life.

This one may be open to debate, but Barnabas staked Tom Jennings to save Julia. I know some of you will say he just wanted to make sure Julia was well enough to be able to conduct the experiment but again by this time, and I must agree it was one of the factors, but I do think by this time he had grown to care for Julia, that experiment or no experiment he would not allow another vampire to inflict Julia with the same dreadful fate he himself suffered with for 200 years.[/spoiler]

I am not saying Barnabas couldn't be a selfish SOB at times, indeed he could be, he has done a lot of things that I didn't like, but I do think that he could also be a lot more selfless than people give him credit for.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 11:53:12 PM »
In those scenes it was hard to watch Julia as you knew her heart was breaking but I don't feel sorry for her beyond that.  If I was that in love with someone and it was clear he wasn't interested and subsequent dalliances distressed me, I would remove myself from the picture entirely.  Why cause yourself that kind of continued pain?

I agree with Nancy and those who said that Julia had a deep friendship with Barnabas that she didn't want to give up.

Since he never returned the love she felt for him and he was bound and determined to make a nit of himself over every SYT and Josette look alike he ran into she would have to sit herself down and ask herself some hard questions. Do I leave or do I stay?

If I leave, he is out of my life, I go back to my old life without him, I immerse myself in my work, and the pain I feel now will dissipate slowly, one day at a time, until he becomes a memory only.

If I stay, I subject myself to the torture I endure every time he meets someone else and makes a fool of himself over her. One day one of these SYT's is going to return his affection and he will marry her. If I stay I maintain this friendship which is probably the best friendship I've ever had, so if I leave I lose that, but again I don't have to watch him with the SYT's.

She'd have to ask herself "Am I better off with him or without him? With his friendship only, no love, and my heart constantly being broken or am I better off without him, without that turmoil? Only she can say for sure.

But I'm with Nancy, I'd leave. There is no pain in the world more bittersweet than unrequited love.

Alondra