Author Topic: carolyn and "miss hoffman"  (Read 2757 times)

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
Re: carolyn and "miss hoffman"
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 01:12:03 AM »
I'm wondering....is there anyone on here who "dresses for dinner"??

Actually, my husband, who is from upstate NY originally, said that his family dressed for dinner as a matter of course. Apparently it was customary among upper class Easterners to do so-and some of his family members continue to do so even today. (Though not at OUR house, thank heavens!--He has become a tried and true casual Oregonian)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 07:40:36 PM »
On the topic of catty scenes, another marvelous one is between Magda and Laura in 1897 when Magda was "helping" Laura clean up the cottage and the Phoenix demanded a tarot card reading.  The facial expressions of the two actresses as they play out this little scene are beyond priceless.  And Grayson Hall must have dealt one mean hand of poker, judging by Magda's dexterity with those cards.

gothick,

i know exactly what scene you mean...genius!

since grayson wasn't yet on the show during the first laura collins storyline it's nice that these two divas got to work together during the 1897 story.

another scene that comes to mind during 1897 is one where magda shows up at collinwood with a silver-bullet loaded gun.
it's late at night and judith refuses to let magda in the house.there is some great back and forth until finally,imperiously as only joan bennett can get,she tells the "gypsy woman" to leave.magda dilly-dallies out front for a few seconds until judith steps outside and commands "NOW MAGDA!" and the dejected gypsy sulks off into the night.

brilliant!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »
I'm from upstate NY too, so it's definitely a class thing.   We were plain old middle class, and we ate at the table usually, but no suits and ties which i didn't have anyway.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 08:36:57 PM »
The only time my family dressed for dinner was Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  But that was before we all grew up and REBELLED, LOL!  Gotta love Virginians!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 09:06:06 PM »
Hey MSC, I got the tape out last night just to watch that scene between Laura and Magda again.  It's better than Special K!

I'll look next for the other scene you mentioned.  I recall roughly when that happened.  Pistol-packin' Magda!  As I recall it, both Grayson and Joan chewed the scenery with maximum elan!

It's not so much catty as an example of extreme complacency, but another fab scene around that time involves Laura and Minerva Trask comparing notes on their favorite topic of PROPER child-rearing.  Hysterical!

G.