Author Topic: Burke Devlin....like him or hate him?  (Read 4883 times)

IluvBarnabas

Re: Burke Devlin....like him or hate him?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 05:26:57 AM »
(Burke is dead right? I'm sure that Barn had something to do with that plane going down!!! And all because Burke didn't like Barn.)

No, I know Barnabas is guilty of many things, and we all know how badly he wanted to do away with Burke, but I  do believe Barnabas is innocent as far as [spoiler]Burke's plane going down in Brazil is concerned. People die in plane crashes every day, unfortunately. Though I know Barnabas was truly a happy man (but he was careful not to show it) when he heard Burke's plane had gone down and later when it was confirmed by Elizabeth that Burke did indeed perish in the plane crash.

So my verdict is Burke did indeed perished in what was just an unforunate accident.[/spoiler]

Again, I much preferred Mitch's Burke Devlin, he was a character that you could root for. I didn't feel the same away about him when Anthony George took over the role, his oomph was gone and I usually sided with Barnabas whenever he and Burke crossed paths.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 09:29:23 PM »
I always figured that Barnabas somehow arranged for the plane to crash.

Is everyone starting Thanksgiving early?   As of a couple days ago, fewq people are on any boards, anyplace.     Maybe people have to finish up things for work or school before knocking off for the holiday.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 09:42:19 PM »
I just never got the impression that Barnabas [spoiler]caused Burke's plane crash.[/spoiler] I know he hated the guy and wanted him dead but in this instance I am willing to give Barnabas the benefit of the doubt. However I do think that if Burke had indeed returned a week or two later, Barnabas would have decided to do away with him.

The [spoiler]airplane crash killed Burke[/spoiler] before Barnabas could, that's the way I look at it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 09:56:52 PM »
You're probably right.   Our expectations when watching television would lead most of us to think about foul play, because in fiction things don't usually happen out of left field like that, or by coincidence.  Everything is usually part of a planned-out plot, happening for specific reasons.   It's good for realism to throw in random events once in a while, I think.

They may have intended foul play, then forgot to explain, or changed their minds. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 03:57:09 AM »
Come to think of it, it is rather odd that Burke didn't end up in Windcliff.  It could have been kind of fun.  Burke #2 having departed for greener pastures, we get Burke #3 (a fine opportunity to bring back Peter Turgeon) escaping from Windcliff in the time-honored fashion, and insanely terrorizing Jeff Clark - threatening to dye his hair green, maybe?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 06:06:46 PM »
A fitting end for Mr. Smug About Being Ultra Normal.   Esquire.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »
As mscbryk pointed out in the "Character's fate you would have liked to have changed..." topic:
one of the biggest misconceptions about the show is that barnabas was somehow invloved in burke's plane crash.

he wasn't.

because the writers indicated their intentions through a remark Sarah made that:
no one would cause it and nothing could stop it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 12:15:28 AM »
escaping from Windcliff in the time-honored fashion, and insanely terrorizing Jeff Clark - threatening to dye his hair green, maybe?

It would have been better (for the audience) and more horrying (for Jeff) if Burke threatened to cut off all of Jeff's hair because, without being able to seemingly touch his hair every two seconds, Jeff would have been completely incapable of communicating with anyone.  [b003]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2006, 02:41:44 AM »
without being able to seemingly touch his hair every two seconds, Jeff would have been completely incapable of communicating with anyone. 

"If I touch my hair with one hand, it means yes.  Two hands means no.  Two hands and a foot means don't bother me now because I've got a grave to dig up."

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »
I'm sure alot of people on this sight have heard my cries for help about 'Burke Devlin'.  I hate him.  He's the kind of guy that bosses Vickie around, and apparentably she likes it because she does not stop him.  He's like ( and I know alot of people have heard this too, so just skip this part) he'll come to your house and just barge in.  I really think that he thinks that he is the mayor.  Hey, Devlin-Boy, come on to my property and barge in to my house and see what I got for you.

I agree with this. In the episodes we're watching with The Watching Project, [spoiler]Burke orders Willie out of town. Ok so no one likes Willie at this point but Burke does not have the authority to order someone out of town, only the Sheriff does as he later orders Jason out of town.[/spoiler]

I liked MR as Burke, and the whole revenge thing, and especially [spoiler]when Burke forces Roger's confession.[/spoiler] I like him as the hard nosed Burke.

Enter Anthony George and suddenly Burke becomes a bit less hard nosed but he was still bossy toward Vicki. I consider his attitude parental. Some have said that she didn't obey him, and that may be true, but what I hated was his whole attitude that he had the right to order her to do anything or not do it. Like when he [spoiler]told her to stay away from Barnabas and the Old House. When he got ticked at Barnabas for bringing her a book saying he didn't want him to give it to her. They were not married and even if they were, he'd have no right to tell someone not to give her a gift, or forbid her from accepting it. The fact that Vicki read him the riot act when she found out, is to her credit. Then there's the time he was investigating Barnabas and she forced him to give up the investigation. This was one time I wish she had listened to him! I don't credit Vicki for this so much as Barnabas. He manipulated her in this so he got his own way.[/spoiler]

As for [spoiler]the plane crash,[/spoiler] the jury's still out where I'm concerned as to whether Barnabas caused it or not. I'm leaning toward feeling he was not responsible, however, be that as it may, he sure didn't cry buckets over it, as it fit perfectly into his plans.

LOL to all that is ever said about Roger Davis, I love it. ;D

Alondra

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 12:05:50 AM »
Actually I really liked and admired the way [spoiler]Vicki stood up to Burke in defense of Barnabas, however misguided it was. She showed real spunk in that scene and as I have already mentioned Burke didn't have any real hard evidence against Barnabas to present to Vicki.

Burke was really stupid to go confronting Willie about how suspicious he was of Barnabas. Did Burke really think Willie wouldn't tell Barnabas about it or that Barnabas wouldn't put two and two together and realize Burke was having him investigated and do what he could to put a stop to it? Sheesh....[/spoiler]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »
Mitch Ryan as Burke rules [agree with JTW!]

Anthony George as Jeremiah was very good.  Would have liked to see Mitch Ryan in this role since it's so different from the Devlin role.  I've seen MR in other movies/shows and he IS a good actor!!

As far as the character, Burke Devlin, I liked him in the earlier episodes before Barnabas arrived; loved the conflict between him and the Collins family.  The mystery of his story was appealing to the end.  It seemed that the character changed so when the actors changed.  It's like watching Willie I and then Willie II; almost NO comparison!

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2007, 12:58:22 AM »
I didn't care all that much for the character but I enjoyed both actors in the role and what they brought to it.  Very different but enjoyable

Nancy