Author Topic: Michael T. Weiss (the Pretender) mentions Dark Shadows in Commentary  (Read 1985 times)

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
the Pretender Season 2 commentary on the episode Bloodlines Part 1
Michael T. Weiss who plays Jarod referenced Dark Shadows.

They were talking about the port chop sideburns of the character Angelo
and Michael T. Weiss says ". . he was Quentin from Dark Shadows".

I thought that was pretty cool to hear.  I wonder how big a fan Michael is?

Has anyone else heard ever heard Dark Shadows referenced in unexpected places like DVD commentaries?
Known celebrity Dark Shadows fans out there?
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Michael T. Weiss (the Pretender) mentions Dark Shadows in Commentary
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:30:04 PM »
I thought that was pretty cool to hear.  I wonder how big a fan Michael is?

You know that Michael T. Weiss appeared in the '91 DS, right?  He played Joe Haskell and Peter Bradford.   [hall2_smiley]

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »
You know that Michael T. Weiss appeared in the '91 DS, right?  He played Joe Haskell and Peter Bradford.   [hall2_smiley]

No.  I didn't.  I watched all of the 91 DS, but I haven't seen it in years.

Still, Quentin wasn't in the 91 DS, so Michael must have watched some of the old DS episodes.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 01:59:09 AM »
Michael was fine as both Joe Haskell and Peter Bradford (and I personally thought his Bradford made a better lawyer than Roger Davis' Peter Bradford). I didn't see the Pretender though. What's he up to now?

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:20:22 AM »
Michael was fine as both Joe Haskell and Peter Bradford (and I personally thought his Bradford made a better lawyer than Roger Davis' Peter Bradford). I didn't see the Pretender though. What's he up to now?

The Pretender is pretty cool.
If you want to check it out for free you might be able to find it at the library.  (I watched 4 seasons of Alias that way).
Hey . . I wonder if the library has any Dark Shadows stuff?  I better check that out.

Any way . . . as far as what he's doing now:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919117/

It looks like he's on something called Fade (2006) (in production) .... Doctor McCabe
According to the IMDB it seems before that he did some voice acting for the Justice League cartoon. 

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:50:31 PM »
Still, Quentin wasn't in the 91 DS, so Michael must have watched some of the old DS episodes.

He was indeed a fan who watched the original as a kid!  In fact, in one of the interviews he gave during the run of the NBC show, he stated that it was because of DS that he can't sleep w/his limbs (arms, legs) dangling over the side of his bed!   [hall2_grin]

Michael was fine as both Joe Haskell and Peter Bradford (and I personally thought his Bradford made a better lawyer than Roger Davis' Peter Bradford). I didn't see the Pretender though.

Yes, ITA!  He was MUCH better as Bradford than RD!  No contest.  The Pretender was an AWESOME show!  Was really pissed it got cancelled, especially since it didn't resolve.  I know they did a couple movies after, but I missed them both. 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »
Oh, good grief - I didn't make the connection that he was in the '91 version either (though, like McTrooper, I watched it - but it's been a long time since I did). I loved him on The Pretender - ultra HOT IMO.  Yet another reason to be sad that the show didn't last long! Of course, this has only peaked my interest in adding the '91 show to my collection.  It's cool to hear Weiss was a fan too - looks AND taste  [hall2_grin].
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:32:07 PM »
I have read that Adrian Paul (of Highlander) was going to play Quentin in the revival series.  I have no idea whether Michael Weiss was informed of these plans.  Actors are often the last to hear about such things.

G.

Para L. Time

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 09:28:12 PM »
Weiss was hot! I am sure that if there had been a second season, he would have made an excellent Jeff Clark. I do wonder, however, how they would have handled, or at all, his and Victoria's regression into the 1790's.

Adrian Paul, also hot (sorry I'll use other adjectives: sexy, handsome, inviting, alluring), but I cannot believe that they were already planning on casting Quentin so early in the series.  Not that I should be surprised, however, as one of my biggest complaints of DS Resurrection is the break neck speed and lack of character development. At the rate they were going, they would have finished 1840 by the end of the third season, and would have had to make up brand new stories had the show progressed into a fourth season.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 09:56:30 PM »
Didn't Adrian Paul also play Jeremiah on that show?  I don't think they were planning on duplicating all the storylines of the original series, but given how they whipped through the "1790" sequence on that show, who knows.

I only watched the whole thing once and don't know that I could ever stand to watch it again.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:04:38 PM »
According to what I've read, MTW was slated to play a character who was sort of an amalgam of Jeff Clark/Chris Jennings (hence the introduction of Quentin) if there had been a season 2 of the '91 series. They were wisely chosing to skip the whole Barnabas' cure/Adam/Eve business - though they were planning a bit of the Angelique/Cassandra element from that time period on the original DS with Angelique's appearance in the present on the '91 series.

Speaking of MTW, I just noticed on TV Guide's Web site that his horror movie Bones is airing on BET tonight at 8pm ET (check listings for other time periods). I have to say that when I saw it I liked the movie much more than I was expecting to. The visual look of the movie is stunning, it has an all too important message that doesn't get in the way of the horror elements, and MTW plays a complete bastard, which is something he doesn't get to play often enough. And if all that wasn't enough, in the present day portion of the storyline MTW gets to wear a fat suit:

Also, I'm guessing some people might have missed this topic from back in January:

DS Fans Will Forever Liken Things To It

[hall2_smiley]