Author Topic: DS Marilyn Ross Books  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
DS Marilyn Ross Books
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this, I thought maybe it would be better suited in the Announcements, but then I didin't think it would fit there either. I'm almost finished with my collection! SIGH. I still need two books:

28. Barnabas, Quentin, and the Grave Robbers
29. Barnabas, Quentin, and the Sea Ghost

I was wondering if anyone knew of anybody who has these books up for sale or if someone on here has them and would like to get rid of them. I'll gladly speak with anyone who does. Any help that you guys could provide in finding these books would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to email Marcy Robin and ask her if she knows of anyone, as she said that she would try to connect buyers with sellers if she could.

While we're on the subject, any thoughts about these books?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: DS Marilyn Ross Books
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:34:30 PM »
Sea Ghost seems to be the grail of the series; I've been searching for it intermittently over the years, and without fail, it's always commanding a very high price. I think it's the only one left that I'm missing from the series.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 12:24:07 AM »
Sea Ghost seems to be the grail of the series; I've been searching for it intermittently over the years, and without fail, it's always commanding a very high price. I think it's the only one left that I'm missing from the series.
You're so right. I just did a search on adall.com, and the lowest price was $18, the highest was $60 (!!!) and the median was $35. Since I've gotten most of mine for about $3, this is a shocker!  :P
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 02:45:05 AM »
I'm not surprised that these books go for so much. I didn't think that #28 would be so rare. I had a hard time finding the last two books as well.

I was surfing on ebay today and saw that someone had listed the DS Vamp and Werewolf book, B. Collins in a Funny Vein, and I believe the HODS book, each separately, and each for 19.99. I was like whoa! I got all three of those for a third of that cost! And it's no wonder that they don't have any bids.

I'll check adall.com and see whats going on over there. I've heard it mentioned a couple times, but have never checked it out. I didn't even know it existed.

I was also surprised that a few of the original books with the painted covers have been popping up on ebay here lately as well. I had heard that they were nearly impossible to find, but apparently they pop up every so often.
Brandon Collins

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:15:28 AM »
Crimey, I just looked through my shelf, and I'm missing more than I thought. I apparently have actually misplaced a couple because I know I had them. Currently missing #'s 17, 27, 29, and 30. I had 2 and 4 (the pre-Barnabas books), and I've no idea where they've gotten to.

Ebay here I come, though I'm not payin' no exorbitant prices. Many of these I got in lots, usually at a very fair price. In some cases, I was able to sell duplicates for as much as I paid for a lot. Nothing like getting the books I want and either breaking even or making money. ;)

'Course, about a dozen of them, I got when I was a kid. Those are the ones that are the most special to me. I remember each of them individually, whereas most of the ones I picked up and read in later years all run together.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 05:43:52 AM »
Grave Robbers is one of my favorites in the series, good luck with your search. I've found all but 3 of the 15 I own on ebay.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 05:50:34 AM »
That's how I've come across many of mine as well. I bought numerous lots of books and then kept the ones I needed, traded out ones I had for the better ones, and then resold the lot and broke even, if not getting more for it.  Unfortunately high prices seem to permiate the market these days, and these books are a hot item. I haven't really been into them for that long, probably a little over a year, so I don't know what it was like before that. I'm just hoping that I can get these final two books for prices that are resonable and then I can focus on selling the extra copies that I now have. Too many--something over 30. Maybe I can get my butt in gear and have these things up on ebay within the next few days.

Brandon Collins

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 05:58:06 AM »
If you do pop some up on ebay please drop me a note. You may have duplicates I'm looking for.

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »
You're so right. I just did a search on adall.com, and the lowest price was $18, the highest was $60 (!!!) and the median was $35. Since I've gotten most of mine for about $3, this is a shocker!  :P

The last few books in the series had a limited print run.  Many sellers and buyers are aware of this, and therefore the market value is often affected.  Sea Ghost was one of the last in the series I found(I have them all), but Vampire Beauty, the last in the series, was the most expensive at the time I purchased it (The mid-nineties).  Back then, I still got a deal on it - only twenty bucks!  In collectibles circles, I saw prices of upwards of 75 bucks even back then(pre-eBay). If you are patient, though, you can price shop and get a relatively good deal on most of the books.  It also depends on whether or not you are a fanatic about condition - mint and near mint copies of the rarer books can be even more expensive.  However, fine and very good copies(which are still in great shape) can go for much less. Buying out of fandom or TV collectible markets can save you money as well.  I got about half of my set in used bookstores.  I found three in a small use book store in Helena, Montana once!

Petofi

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
I got about half of my set in used bookstores. I found three in a small use book store in Helena, Montana once!

I've done this as well, though I haven't found any. I've checked vintage bookstores and even Good Will shops and the Salvation Army. I only do this now and then because I haven't ever found anything. But, if I get the job a the local vintage bookstore that I'm hoping to, maybe just maybe more books will come my way!!

And Arashi---

Just dropped the books off to ebay! Check them out. My username is "thingsthaticollect" if you need it for a search!
Brandon Collins

David

Kayo Books
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 02:54:57 AM »
There's a used bookstore here in San Francisco, Kayo Books, where I got quite a large number of the Ross DS books, all mint, for around $5 each!

They also have Ross' non~DS books, TONS of monster mags & film history books.
In the 70s there was a book of vampire film history called The Seal of Dracula that featured Nancy Barrett from HODS on the cover.
You guessed it, Kayo had it, mint hardcover, low price!

I LOVE that store!!!

I believe they ship.
I don't know the phone #, but they're on Post St & should be listed.
The area code is 415.

David  

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 04:49:12 AM »
Thanks so much for the info, David. I'll have to give them a jingle if I can find the number. As someone mentioned earlier, if you wait, it will come to you and at a relatively low price. Hopefully I get one of those relatively low prices. I've already spent more than I would've liked to getting to this point!!! lol. Ah, the not-so-great spoils of being a collector.
Brandon Collins

David

Kayo Books Info
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
Here Ya Go, Brandon:

Kayo Books
814 Post
SF CA 94109
(415) 749-0554
www.kayobooks.com
kayo@kayobooks.com

David

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 02:17:36 AM »
Not that I can find the few missing books, but I once had the complete series, bought during the original releases at the 50-75 cents prices;  after keeping them for more than 25 years, I finally sold them to a NEW DS fan, for a relatively low auction-type price, through this DS site.  I know that fan was very appreciative and enjoyed the books.  Maybe someday, she will offer some of the rarer books for sale.  

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 06:13:30 AM »
It amazes me how many people find these books in an old box in their attic or stuffed away in a closet some place. I mean my mother had three of these books that she gave to me, along with a few other items including an original Quentin's Theme record, when I became interested in DS. I recently bought a large lot of books from someone on ebay who said they had found them in their attic when they were cleaning it out.

And something that really dropped my mouth to the floor, along with many others---

At the fest, while I was standing in LP's line for an autograph, a woman in front of me was talking about how she was telling one of her friends about DS and her interest in it. This friend had never heard of it, but something sprang to mind--she had just found a COMPLETE set of the Marilyn Ross books, including the BC Pic Album, BC in a Funny Vein, and HODS, and THREW THEM IN THE GARBAGE!!! GASP!!!! This woman couldn't believe it. She said she really gave it to her friend!

I think I would've too. And I would've paid a visit to my local landfill.
Brandon Collins