Author Topic: Episode 584-Dress Rehearsal  (Read 1788 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Episode 584-Dress Rehearsal
« on: September 15, 2006, 04:50:27 PM »
I recently purchased a box of documents from the Dan Curtis archives.  The box contained the cast and summary pages from Mr. Costello's scripts.  Most were blank pages, but a few had some notes and scribbles on them.  One in particular was interesting.  Someone, Mr. Costello probably, wrote that they had tried to tape the "memory scene" before lunch, but picked up "cross talk".  Because of the time lost taping that over, he then states that he had to tape the dress rehearsal as the aired version.  This brought a couple of questions to mind.  Does anyone know if this was the only time this happened?

Episode 584 is the one where [spoiler]Willie has kidnapped Maggie so Barnabas can't use h er as the life force for Eve. Maggie remembers being brought to the mausoleum before by Julia, during her stay at Wyndclyff.[/spoiler]

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 584-Dress Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
What a great find!  I have no idea if there are other shooting scripts describing this situation out there, but, coincidentally, a copy of that script (without the tech/production notes) was one of my very first DS acquisitions when I re-aquainted myself with the show in the early 90s. Thanks for sharing such a unique find! Anybody else have some clues?

Petofi

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 04:13:40 PM »
I watched episodoe 584 again and I suspect that the memory scene referred to in the notes was actually used a couple of days later OR they did this several times. There are a couple of more elaborate flashback scenes in episodes closely following this one. 

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:37:45 PM »
I recently purchased a box of documents from the Dan Curtis archives.  The box contained the cast and summary pages from Mr. Costello's scripts.

That sounds a lot like an item that was auctioned at this year's fest. Was that you?

(Nice to see another WHO-fan on here, BTW)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 08:00:54 PM »
That sounds a lot like an item that was auctioned at this year's fest. Was that you?

(Nice to see another WHO-fan on here, BTW)

Yes, that was me.  I bought the grey box that had the opening pages to many scripts.  Most of them are just what Jim said they were, but a few had notes like various phone numbers for cast and crew, scribbles and doodles, and the occasional note.  One had a hand written note "the part of Carolyn Stoddard will be played by Miss Diana Walker".  I assume that was Costello writing it.  I'd like to get a sample of his handwriting to compare.  Many of the pages have his name written on them whether he wrote it or someone else did,  don't know.

Nice to see another who fan as well.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:25:57 PM »
How interesting, Doctor!  (btw--another Who fan here)  I've always wondered how they handled the taping schedule in scenes where elaborate makeup and costume changes were called for, such as the episodes where [spoiler]Cassandra ages, or where characters appear in sharply different makeup as Parallel Time alter egos.[/spoiler]

It's interesting to learn that they sometimes videotaped "before lunch"--according to one of Thayer David's interviews, the "lunch break" normally fell around 10:30 in the morning, which makes one wonder just how"before lunch" was to be interpreted in these cases.

Many thanks for sharing.  I really wondered just what treasures would come to light in that grey box...

G.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 05:32:23 AM »
It's interesting to learn that they sometimes videotaped "before lunch"--according to one of Thayer David's interviews, the "lunch break" normally fell around 10:30 in the morning, which makes one wonder just how"before lunch" was to be interpreted in these cases.
You pecked my interest.  There are Thayer David interviews??  Where???  I'd like to see/hear those.  Are they on his experience with DS like the other DS actors' interviews on the DVDs??
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
Hi Jackie, there are two radio interviews (where Thayer was on the phone, but his voice is quite clear) that Ron Barry did for his show.  I believe Bobubas sells them--doesn't he have a website now?  If you look around you can find transcriptions, too.  A transcription was published in Stuart's old DS fanzine in England.

He covers the same ground in both interviews.  I think the second one was done because of a technical problem in recording the first one.  They obviously date to around April or May 1969.

Best, G.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »
Thanks so much, Gothick.  I'll have to check it out.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 02:31:11 AM »
Hi Jackie, there are two radio interviews (where Thayer was on the phone, but his voice is quite clear) that Ron Barry did for his show.  I believe Bobubas sells them--doesn't he have a website now? 

He does indeed  http://bobubas.topcities.com/collectibles.htm

LdyAnne
little font of information