DARK SHADOWS FORUMS

General Discussions => Current Talk Archive => Current Talk '26 I => Current Talk '04 I => Topic started by: michael c on June 27, 2004, 05:39:17 PM

Title: happy birthday!
Post by: michael c on June 27, 2004, 05:39:17 PM
it was 38 years ago today that housewives first sat down in front of the black and white set and visited a house we're still visiting today.happy birthday dark shadows!and let's also take this opportunity to thank midnite,dom and mysterious benefactor for providing us with this great place to post our thoughts about the show we enjoy so much! :-*
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: victoriawinters on June 27, 2004, 06:25:10 PM
Yes, I second the motion re thanking Dom, Midnite and MB for this place.  It's loads of fun!  Thank you...

And, Happy Birthday DS!

(http://home.pacbell.net/cbsbiz/Victoriaquill.gif)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Midnite on June 27, 2004, 07:55:09 PM
Thanks.  And thank you for memorializing all the fantastic anniversary eps, MB!

So how are the DS cousins going to celebrate its bday?
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Mysterious Benefactor on June 27, 2004, 08:28:18 PM
Thanks.

Yes, thanks from me, too.  :)

Quote
And thank you for memorializing all the fantastic anniversary eps, MB!

My pleasure.  ;)

Quote
So how are the DS cousins going to celebrate its bday?

Well, I went out and bought a filigreed pen - and then promptly threw it over the nearest cliff to commemorate one of DS' most "popular" storylines.  (http://www.dsboards.com/dsb05/Smileys/lghy.gif)  It was either that or burning down a local fishing shack and trying to lure innocent children into the flames - and I did that last year, so I didn't want to repeat myself.  ;D
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Raineypark on June 27, 2004, 09:52:02 PM
MB, I'm coming to YOUR party next year.  :D

All I did was fertilize the Wolfsbane plants in my "medicinal" garden.   ::)

PS:  LOVE the red-eyed avatar....... ;)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Heather on June 27, 2004, 10:41:43 PM
I bought a snazzy Orbach's suit, a diamond-accented medical bag and a new journal to write down all my thoughts...both naughty and nice.  ;)  Sipping a cup of apricot-brandy laced tea, I watched a few DS eps, hoping to inspire me to pick up my pen and write again...  :-

I LOVE the montage, MB .   :-*   Although, it's too bad the only pic of Julia is when she's dealing with Barn. and Miss Boobie...I mean Roxanne (Barn, what are ya thinking?? Sigh).  Sorry--I should add a few sedatives to my list too...  LOL.   :o ;) ;D


Thanks MB, Midnite and Dom...this is a great place to be.   :-*


p.s. MB--I love that Avatar too...spooky. LOL   :D
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Mysterious Benefactor on June 27, 2004, 11:07:26 PM
it's too bad the only pic of Julia is when she's dealing with Barn. and Miss Boobie...I mean Roxanne

Well, that's only because I tried to get in as many characters from each of the episodes as possible. But just for you, here's a shot of Julia from soon after she witnesses [spoiler]poor Will fall to his death and Angelexis accuses her of deliberately ruining everything.[/spoiler]

(http://www.dsboards.com/images/Julia_1970PT.jpg)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: ProfStokes on June 28, 2004, 01:36:44 AM
Happy birthday, Dark Shadows!  Long may it live!   :D  To celebrate, I'm going to sing "London Bridge is falling down" and "What do you do with a drunken sailor?".

Many thanks to you, Midnite, MB, and dom for being such wonderful moderators!  :-*

ProfStokes   
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: michael c on June 28, 2004, 01:58:17 AM
in homage to the day, i think i'll watch episode one tonight.i haven't seen it in ages. :-*
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Maria_Merriweather on June 28, 2004, 02:03:07 AM
It wasn't only housewives  who sat down to watch Dark Shadows but kids like myself (eleven in 1966).  :)  To celebrate, I will watch a couple of my tapes. Also loved the montage. Thanks MB and Midnite for making this forum a fun place to visit. :)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: jennifer on June 28, 2004, 02:16:16 AM
another mere child when the show was new!
i went out and bought a sleeveless dress and plan to wear it
as I watch my favorite episode(any one with
Chris J)
i do like your evil ideas MB though!

jennifer
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: The Ghost of Sarah Collins on June 28, 2004, 03:11:57 AM
Happy birthday, Dark Shadows!  Long may it live!   :D  To celebrate, I'm going to sing "London Bridge is falling down" and "What do you do with a drunken sailor?".

  Hello Prof Stokes!
I also am going to play "London Bridge" on my Flute this evening while watching a few episodes...  was the drunken sailor tune Bill Malloy's theme?
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Heather on June 28, 2004, 03:51:48 AM
(http://www.dsboards.com/images/Julia_1970PT.jpg)


LOL - Great shot of Julia--thanks!  :-*  I double-dog dare someone to think up a caption for that one...  ;D
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: ProfStokes on June 28, 2004, 05:00:53 AM
was the drunken sailor tune Bill Malloy's theme?

Happy Dark Shadows Day/Night, Sarah!  Yes, the "Drunken Sailor" chanty was Bill Malloy's favorite song, and he sang it when he first appeared to Victoria. 

ProfStokes
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: michael c on June 28, 2004, 05:25:22 AM
as i said i would, i watched episode 1 (and 2)tonight.i hadn't seen them for a long time.i forgot how cooly regal liz was.and how cool the exterior shots were.but as i watched vicki and carolyn and maggie in these eps. i found myself saddened.to see these beautiful young girls, full of hopes and dreams for themselves, and to know that they basically become nothing but put-upon victims for whatever monster-of-the-week the show's writer's threw out there later in the show's run, i found it sad. :'(
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: victoriawinters on June 28, 2004, 06:15:24 AM
Opps, had too much brandy from that decanter to celebrate the day. *hic
(http://home.pacbell.net/cbsbiz/Victoriaquill.gif)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Devlin66 on June 28, 2004, 08:28:21 AM
I went to the cliffs overlooking Laguna Beach and listened for the wailing of the widows......it was a joy to hear the waves crashing over the rocks below.....and i will never forgive Matthew Morgan for giving Malloy a little push over the edge :-[
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Cassandra on June 28, 2004, 09:30:13 AM
Happy Birthday Dark Shadows!
I think I'll celebrate by dusting off some of the old 45's I have, (haven't listened to them in years!) mainly the one of Quentin's theme and try them out.

And a great big THANKS to Midnite, MB & Dom for the hard work you do in maintaining this board!!  :-* :-* :-*

Cassandra
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Miss_Winthrop on June 28, 2004, 10:54:07 AM
Has it really been that many years? A toast to the best television show ever! I salute the mods and all the fans that post on this forum.


Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Philippe Cordier on June 28, 2004, 01:23:23 PM
I hadn't bothered to read this thread right away (another birthday thread, ho hum ...  ::) ) so I didn't know the "birthday" referred to "Dark Shadows" 's anniversary.  So I missed the day, but I guess I celebrated it without knowing, since I watched Dan Curtis's "The Love Letter" again.  Although not spooky, it shares a couple of parallels with DS:  a letter (actually more than one) transmitted across the centuries via a hidden compartment in an old desk; and lovers finally reunited in another time thanks to reincarnation!

Then I had some odd experiences myself, what with time traveling on this board and an early hours earthquake ...  So I guess these odd events were fitting and memorable for a Dark Shadows anniversary!
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Gothick on June 28, 2004, 06:24:54 PM
Dark Shadows is 38--hooray!

*face suddenly FALLS as realizes just how OLD that makes him feel*

Great montage, MB!

Steve
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Philippe Cordier on June 28, 2004, 09:48:57 PM
Forgot to ask ... did anyone do anything with a drunken sailor?

 ;)

Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: michael c on June 29, 2004, 12:36:57 AM
as i said i would, i watched episode 1 (and 2)tonight.i hadn't seen them for a long time.i forgot how cooly regal liz was.and how cool the exterior shots were.but as i watched vicki and carolyn and maggie in these eps. i found myself saddened.to see these beautiful young girls, full of hopes and dreams for themselves, and to know that they basically become nothing but put-upon victims for whatever monster-of-the-week the show's writer's threw out there later in the show's run, i found it sad. :'(
i must appologize for this maudlin post.i worked myself into a champagne-induced state of sentimentality.i hope i didn't "bring down" the mood on d.s.'s b-day. ::)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Heather on June 29, 2004, 02:19:51 AM
i must appologize for this maudlin post.i worked myself into a champagne-induced state of sentimentality.i hope i didn't "bring down" the mood on d.s.'s b-day. ::)

It didn't bother me, mscbryk...heck, I get sentimental ALL the time.  LOL  The most important thing is that you celebrated the day with a DS kinda flair.  ;)


Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Mysterious Benefactor on June 29, 2004, 02:47:32 AM
i must appologize for this maudlin post.i worked myself into a champagne-induced state of sentimentality.i hope i didn't "bring down" the mood on d.s.'s b-day. ::)

You didn't bring down the discussion at all. Your summation of what those three characters' lives would become is absolutely true, and we've all lamented that at one time or another. There's never any need to apologize for simply stating the truth.  :)
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: michael c on June 29, 2004, 04:52:52 AM
thanks guys...i'm forever torn about the show.while i love alot of the supernatural elements the show introduces during it's run i will forever wonder what would have become of our lovely three had their lives continued on a normal path. :-*
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: Sandor on June 29, 2004, 06:48:06 PM
Happy Birthday, Dark Shadows- take comfort that I will always be older than you... but not always as entertaining.
I took Jennifer's cue, and watched a few DS episodes on its birthday (ones with Chris Jennings/Don Briscoe... and special bonus, Julia Hoffman/Grayson Hall wearing her nightie in 2 back-to-back episodes). 
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: TERRY308 on June 29, 2004, 09:09:53 PM
Happy Birthday DS.  38 years ago!!!  I am getting old.  But at least DS is holding my hand.
Title: Re: happy birthday!
Post by: dom on July 04, 2004, 04:40:07 PM
Happy belated BD to DS! Gosh, how I loved the show when I was a kid. Collecting just about everything I found related to DS. Waiting for the next issue of 16 Magazine and Tiger Beat (etc.) to hit the magazine rack, getting yelled at by the store owner not to read them before buying - but heck, I wasn't going to buy them if they didn't have DS within! Heh. Back then my fave pix were the ones of Selby and Frid from the 1897 period, all that makeup, old clothes, and added backdrop color. Couldn't get enough of it!

Then there was the paperback book store where I had to beg the owners to go to the 'back room' to unpack the deliveries to see if any new Ross novels had arrived. I remember they had crystal balls under the counter for sale and I wanted one SO bad! (That was when I was in my 'Magda phase'. ::) Was intent on naming my first born girl Magda, lol. Needless to say, that DIDN'T happen!) Was $45.00 for the smaller one. Didn't have that kind of money back then - some things never change, lol.

...and I too thank MB & Midnite for this great place to revisit my old obbsession. And to get cyberly acquainted with a bunch of great fellow fans.

As for thanking me, well, thanks, but it's really MB and Midnite who make this the best (IMHO) DS place on the internet. Me? I'm just the resident nun with ruler in hand, lol. Thanks, to those who haven't held it against me.   :-*

And thanx to Al Gore for inventing the internet, lol!