DARK SHADOWS FORUMS

General Discussions => Current Talk Archive => Current Talk '26 I => Current Talk '04 I => Topic started by: Connie on January 19, 2004, 04:28:28 AM

Title: The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Connie on January 19, 2004, 04:28:28 AM
Here's an article I scanned from a magazine called All Day TV - March 1971.  Thought some of you might enjoy it.  I love these old fan magazine articles.

(I broke the scan into two parts - next part follows)




[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Connie on January 19, 2004, 04:31:14 AM
Part 2

 ;D



[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Mark Rainey on January 19, 2004, 04:56:09 AM
Now that's a fun read. I love seeing old articles like that, too, putting things in the context they were in at the actual time. Amusing note about the clergyman, too. >:D

--Mark
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Josette on January 19, 2004, 05:09:09 AM
Thank you, Connie - that was a nice one!  :)
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Mysterious Benefactor on January 19, 2004, 05:11:47 AM
Amusing note about the clergyman, too. >:D

If only there had been more like him instead of the ones who kept trying to get DS off the air.  :-

Great article, Connie. Thanks for posting it.  :)
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: stefan on January 19, 2004, 05:14:33 AM
hmmm...interesting. I have to say (and hope I don't get into trouble or my post deleted...well, if you must you must) that even though I love Jonathan Frid, I find him very attractive in a soulful, gentle, tragic manner but in no way do I find him sexual. And it's very interesting that he was such a sex object because though Barnabas is courtly, charming and attractive and his voice sexy but for some reason JF never came off as particularly erotic or sensual. I was kinda hoping that his vampire scenes with Josette might have been more erotic (you'd think so) but JF always seemed scared to be thay way. His vampire stuff with women were more painful than erotic. Just my opinion but then again no-one that I saw on DS radiated much sexuality except I sensed some between Trask and Josette and later Trask and the other woman KLS played. KSL and Jerry Lacy had some good sexual chemistry sometimes.
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Connie on January 19, 2004, 06:37:15 AM
.... I find him very attractive in a soulful, gentle, tragic manner but in no way do I find him sexual. And it's very interesting that he was such a sex object because though Barnabas is courtly, charming and attractive and his voice sexy but for some reason JF never came off as particularly erotic or sensual.

I agree with you, actually.  BUT I think Barnabas is/was sexy (to women at least) because of his elegance and reserve - his manner and way of speaking.  There was no overt or obvious sort of sexuality exuding from him, but I think that's what made him attractive and provocative.  It was hidden in a sense, and private.  It's what you DON'T see that gets your mind working.

Add to that the eroticism of the whole vampire thing, which a lot of people respond to (I don't for some reason), [idontknow] and you've got a character that women find very sexy.  What I responded to more, was the tormented aspect of the character.  Give me Barnabas in a tormented state and I'm THERE, baby.  ROFL
Yep - Frid playing torment.  That always did it for me!

 ;)  ;D  ;)
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: wes on January 19, 2004, 07:08:27 AM
 :-  I never picked up on any sexual tension between Trask and Josette...

 :P However, there were some delightfully subtle urges displayed by Jerry Lacy's Gregory Trask for Amanda Harris!

 ;D Thank You for sharing the article, Connie!
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Midnite on January 19, 2004, 07:09:22 AM
I'm AMAZED by the revelations about Joan Bennett.  Go, Joan!
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Cassandra on January 19, 2004, 10:49:42 AM
What a great article!  I enjoyed reading this. (although Im not to sure on the part where it says "Michael Stroka may soon catch up to Frid.")   Im glad they mentioned David Selby & Louis Edmonds as well.   I agree with MB too about what the clergyman had to say about the show, interesting.
Thanks Connie for sharing this.

Cassandra
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: onyx_treasure on January 19, 2004, 06:17:14 PM
Connie,
     That was a fabulous article.  Thanks for posting it.  Did it have any pictures?
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Annie on January 19, 2004, 09:50:47 PM
Hi Connie thanks for posting the article!!!!
( You all know that i find David Selby very SEXY
AND YUMMY RIGHT)????  Love Anne ;D :-* :P
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: murph on January 20, 2004, 02:20:19 AM
Great article Connie!!

I'm interested in when the article was printed.  Connie notes that it was in March of '71...................by that time Michael Stroka was no longer a member of the cast,  Roger Davis had been off the show for a year and Jonathan Frid was no longer portraying Barnabas.  The show went off the air the following month.

I wonder when the interviews were actually done, obviously when Roger Davis was still on and I wonder what took so long to get it to print.

Just my two cents....................

Murph
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Connie on January 20, 2004, 02:58:22 AM
......I'm interested in when the article was printed.  Connie notes that it was printed in March of '71...................by that time Michael Stroka was no longer a member of the cast,  Roger Davis had been off the show for a year and Jonathan Frid was no longer portraying Barnabas.  The show went off the air the following month.
I wonder when the interviews were actually done....

Ya know, I never thought of that.  It is indeed odd.  There are quite a few other DS articles in the issue too - one on Selby, one on Frid, one on Bennett, one on Stroka, and whatever.  I must confess that I haven't read them all but what I HAVE seen, seem rather dated for '71.   Hmm......  [idontknow]


That was a fabulous article.  Thanks for posting it.  Did it have any pictures?

Nope - no pictures with that particular article.


Hi Connie thanks for posting the article!!!!
( You all know that i find David Selby very SEXY
AND YUMMY RIGHT)????  Love Anne ;D :-* :P

NO!  REALLY??

I mean, I knew you find him sexy, and then I knew you thought he was quite YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
but sexy AND YUMMY?????????

No shit!!   (I learn something every day on here)   ;D  ;D  ;D

Love U  :-* CLC
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: DarkShadowyFigure on January 20, 2004, 04:19:51 AM
I find Kathryn Leigh Scott & Lara Parker very sexy and yummy!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: wes on January 20, 2004, 04:54:32 AM
 :) Most magazines of this type were on the stands well in advance of their "Cover Date."  The "Soap Opera" mags had even larger rack times than the teen mags.  A March 1971 soap mag was probably prepared late in 1970.  There could be a 1-3 month lead off time.

 8) If this issue went to bed in December 1970, Mike Stroka and Roger Davis would still be thought of as "Dark Shadows" stars... it was common for the stars to bounce off and on the show.

 :o Also, note that "House of Dark Shadows" would be playing... so, yes, they were considered "Dark Shadows" stars, even thru early 1971, I would think.
Title: Re:The Sexual Side Of Dark Shadows
Post by: Nancy on January 20, 2004, 02:48:41 PM
Ya know, I never thought of that.  It is indeed odd.  There are quite a few other DS articles in the issue too - one on Selby, one on Frid, one on Bennett, one on Stroka, and whatever.  I must confess that I haven't read them all but what I HAVE seen, seem rather dated for '71.   Hmm...... 

I've been told that it was a common practice with those magazines to periodically do a general interview with one or more magazines (and even fill out questionnaires to give to the editors) and then for several months or even a year, the editors would extrapolate from that general interview, embellish here and there, and then recycle the material in numerous ways to make up several articles.

The magazines were not above creating interviews.  Jonathan Frid told of such an example while a guest at a DS Festival in 1986.  His mother was featured in a two page spread called "My Son The Vampire" and the photo with the interview was taken during a brief "press" photo op when JF had a party at the Drake Hotel with cast and crew from DS.  His mother was there.  But Mrs. Frid didn't give the interview the article claimed she did.

Nancy