Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0671  (Read 2724 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0671
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0671
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »
As the end of Friday's episode was repeated today, I once again thought to myself: "Why does Maggie say she needs to talk to Chris about Amy?  Why doesn't she just come right out and say Amy is sick?"

How does Elizabeth know that Carolyn is in danger?  It must be something to do with her non-dead-non-alive state.  Maybe she's open to more incoming traffic because she's not putting anything out.  Still, it's very strange.

Midnite's got me thinking about shoes.  I looked at Maggie and Carolyn in the foyer today and I thought,"High heels, not wedge.  Midnite will like that."  And then in the end, in the woods, the closeup of Carolyn's feet showed them to be flatter to the ground than I expected, and I wondered if Nancy Barrett had changed shoes.  But it doesn't seem likely.  I must have been mistaken.  I'm not used to paying attention to shoes.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
lydia...

i'm going to have to give the episode a look.i cannot ever recall a full-fledged high-heel being worn on the program.

it's always that low,squat heel(but not a flat)with the squared-off toe.

there are those here who loathe this shoe but over the years i have grown to be quite fond of it.it provides a nice,satisfying "clack" on the stone floors of the foyer at collinwood. [hall2_kiss]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »
Did we see Carolyn's shoes while she was in the foyer?  I wonder if you might be thinking of Maggie's shoes; she wore more stylish ones than the other Collinwood ladies-- with pointy toes and a larger heel, with her governess outfits, though I suspect your idea of a high heel is not the same as mscbryk's and mine.  I would kill to see a high-heeled pump just once on DS, sigh.

BTW, if you look at images of a wedge heel, you might see that the somewhat triangular shape is not quite what you had in mind.

This ep didn't have the first time we see the werewolf intentionally check his face in the mirror, which is just dumb.  If he's truly an animal, then wouldn't he act like my dog and think he was staring at another animal?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »
As a kid, I once sat my dog down in front of a large mirror to try to get her to recognize what the image was.  I found she wouldn't even look directly into the mirror; she'd always look slightly to one side, as if she didn't quite know it was there.  Strange.   I mean me, for doing weird experiments with my dog, of course.... I also fed her tomato juice and lemon-lime Kool-Aid one afternoon, for licks.

This was during my first DS viewing period, late 60s-1971.  There, back on-topic.  I don't know how I do it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
midnite brings up a point that i have often noticed on the show...

that,for whatever reason,in general maggie got the cutest clothes of the three central ingenues.certainly better than vicki's boxy frocks.better too than carolyn's who was supposed to be the spoiled rich girl and could presumably afford the best clothes

and by 1970 she had become a full-fledged fashion plate with her own credit for "miss scott's clothing by junior sophisticates".

kathryn leigh scott certainly improved her status on the show over the years.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »
MSC,

your last post reminds me of a famous comment of Angelique's to a certain tycoon, which I'll paraphrase:

"From Patchwork Skirt to Junior Sophisticate--my, how the waitress has risen!"

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
indeed...

miss scott certainly came a long way from slinging hash in ash blond dynel to reigning collinwood damsel-in-distress.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »
Did we see Carolyn's shoes while she was in the foyer?  I wonder if you might be thinking of Maggie's shoes; she wore more stylish ones than the other Collinwood ladies-- with pointy toes and a larger heel, with her governess outfits, though I suspect your idea of a high heel is not the same as mscbryk's and mine.  I would kill to see a high-heeled pump just once on DS, sigh.
I thought I saw both Carolyn's and Maggie's shoes, though I admit that it would be difficult to look at two pairs of shoes at once, especially for an inexperienced and spectacularly untalented shoe-watcher like me.

My definition of high heels: The heel is noticeably narrower than the rest of the shoe and an inch and a half high (give or take a millimeter or two), and it looks really uncomfortable to wear.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 06:10:27 AM »
lydia...i'm going to have to give the episode a look.i cannot ever recall a full-fledged high-heel being worn on the program.

I personally hate this type of shoe.  I just love the high heels that are in now! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
My definition of high heels: The heel is noticeably narrower than the rest of the shoe and an inch and a half high (give or take a millimeter or two), and it looks really uncomfortable to wear.

Well, that would be a low heel.  Maggie wears mid heels for sure when she [spoiler]becomes very suspicious of Amy and especially David.[/spoiler] This isn't official or anything, especially now that we are seeing very high heels, but I believe it starts being a high heel at around 4 inches.

Gothick, your update to the line is a hoot!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
4 inches?  That isn't high heels, that's skyscraper heels!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
This ep didn't have the first time we see the werewolf intentionally check his face in the mirror, which is just dumb.  If he's truly an animal, then wouldn't he act like my dog and think he was staring at another animal?
When Chris first changed into the werewolf, he looked in the mirror, then at his hands. He was quiet for a few seconds. I found that quite fascinating. I believe that he was still "Chris" at that moment, until the "werewolf" personality fully took over. [Wolfie]

I really didn't notice the shoes too much. For myself, I don't wear high heels, they hurt my feet too much. However, I do agree that high heels are very stylish and great to look at - on somebody else's feet!  [hall2_grin]

There was a blooper today when Chris stood in front of the window while he was "hiding" from Maggie when she was at the cottage door. [signerror]

I thought it was neat that Elizabeth was able to sense that Carolyn was in danger, especially when she "spoke" to her telepathically! That would be really frustrating to be "awake" but not be able to move or even open your eyes. [hall2_rolleyes]

How does Elizabeth know that Carolyn is in danger?  It must be something to do with her non-dead-non-alive state.  Maybe she's open to more incoming traffic because she's not putting anything out. Still, it's very strange.
I think you could be right about that, Lydia. In addition, I think there could have been a psychic connection between them - a mother/daughter connection. [hug]

It was rather thrilling to watch this episode because Chris and Amy had seen the pentagram on Carolyn's face, so I knew she was in danger. I'm sure the first time I watched this, I was yelling at the screen, "No, Carolyn, don't go outside!"  [hall2_shocked]

-----  Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »
When Chris first changed into the werewolf, he looked in the mirror, then at his hands. He was quiet for a few seconds. I found that quite fascinating. I believe that he was still "Chris" at that moment, until the "werewolf" personality fully took over. [Wolfie]

Hmm, that's a very interesting theory.

It was rather thrilling to watch this episode because Chris and Amy had seen the pentagram on Carolyn's face, so I knew she was in danger. I'm sure the first time I watched this, I was yelling at the screen, "No, Carolyn, don't go outside!"  [hall2_shocked]

The show isn't consistent about who is able to see the inverted pentagram, or what it means for the person bearing the mark.  I don't remember Chris seeing the pentagram on Carolyn's face [spoiler]not yet, anyway, though that occurrence won't make a lick of sense. ;)[/spoiler] Amy saw it on Carolyn's face, and she and Madame Findley saw it on Joe, I assume because they're both psychic, yet Chris saw it on the waitress' face while on a date with Carolyn.  It might have made more sense if they'd had Carolyn see it since she has at times displayed some psychic ability and not have Chris see it on anyone at all, or, as in The Wolf Man, have Chris see it on all his future victims.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 04:18:12 AM »
I thought Chris could see the pentagram on Carolyn's face, too, when Amy saw it. I suppose I made that assumption, anyway.  [hall2_rolleyes] But I guess maybe the audience saw the pentagram from Amy's point of view only. It sure seemed like Chris saw it, too, though. Perhaps his distress was  caused by having the knowledge that Amy had seen it (even though he could not), and knowing what that meant. [hall2_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]