Author Topic: Netscape 7 No Longer Works  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Netscape 7 No Longer Works
« on: October 08, 2002, 01:17:57 PM »
I get a message that I should know better then to use this browser.  What?  Netscape 7 worked up until Monday morning.  Please don't make me go back to IE.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Netscape 7 No Longer Works
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 07:25:39 PM »
I'll be awaiting your answer.  I've been considering getting 7.  At the moment I have 4.78.  So, if I know that 7 works for you, I might get it.

By the way, does 7 have "Print Preview"?  I had heard that the other versions didn't, which was the main reason I never upgraded to those.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 07:39:56 PM »
I get a message that I should know better then to use this browser.  What?  Netscape 7 worked up until Monday morning.  Please don't make me go back to IE.

I SO sympathize, cuz I can't stand IE either.

I PROMISE that MB is working on finding a fix so that Netscape 7 can be used again on the forum, but it might be a while.  Sorry to be the bearer of that bad news.  We can get word to you when it's taken care of.

I'll be awaiting your answer.  I've been considering getting 7.  At the moment I have 4.78.  So, if I know that 7 works for you, I might get it.

I don't want to discourage you from updating, so can you consider 6.63 or whatever the last version was til the issue with 7.0 is resolved?

By the way, does 7 have "Print Preview"?  I had heard that the other versions didn't, which was the main reason I never upgraded to those.

Yes, it does.

I like that the "move" features works in 7.0.  You can't see it in any other versions of Netscape.

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2002, 09:48:19 PM »
Thanks Midnite.  I appreciate all the work you guys do on this site.

Do we know what happened?  Like I said in my previous post it worked up NS 7 worked fine up until Monday morning.

I like 7 a lot.  Very fast and stable.  A great improvement over 6 which I would not use.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 10:34:42 PM »
Do we know what happened?  Like I said in my previous post it worked up NS 7 worked fine up until Monday morning.

Well, it was at around that time (late Sunday, early Monday) that MB found a flaw in its code that's not present in other versions, but it was our decision to stop its access til a fix can be found.  Both MB and I use Netscape 7 so we're anxious to see it usable again.

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 11:46:34 PM »
I knew you guys had good taste.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2002, 12:03:26 AM »
Woo, I'll drink to that. 8)  

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 06:22:08 AM »
I like that the "move" features works in 7.0.  You can't see it in any other versions of Netscape.

I was about to ask what you meant by the "move" features, but then it suddenly dawned on me that you're probably referring to the sliding screen here.  I've been having problems with Print Preview lately, anyway, so if 7 has it, I probably will try getting it this weekend.  I have to use IE here as it is, and whenever you fix the other, then I can switch!!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2002, 08:06:37 AM »
I was about to ask what you meant by the "move" features, but then it suddenly dawned on me that you're probably referring to the sliding screen here.

No, the screen doesn't slide in any Netscape version.  By "move" feature, I mean the text that travels across the screen when it's surrounded by this
Code: [Select]
[move]TEXT[/move]
If you've seen Mark Rainey's signature using IE you know what I mean.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2002, 06:12:24 AM »
I went to download 7 earlier today, but discovered one has to have at least Win 98.  Previously, on the WP forum there were a lot of good comments about its precursor, Mozilla.  The review on the browser page indicated that Mozilla can suppress the pop-up ads and that 7 can't.

However, I have my e-mail in Netscape.  I'm sure an updated Netscape would just take that over.  Do you know about Mozilla?  Would I have to do something to switch my old mail?  And would new mail automatically come to Mozilla or would I have to set that up in some manner?

By the way, do you know how Mozilla works with this forum?  Would it be the same as 7?
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2002, 07:32:01 AM »
I went to download 7 earlier today, but discovered one has to have at least Win 98.

Now that Microsoft has discontinued support for Win95, you're going to find that's the case for many software upgrades.

I have my e-mail in Netscape.  I'm sure an updated Netscape would just take that over.  Do you know about Mozilla?  Would I have to do something to switch my old mail?  And would new mail automatically come to Mozilla or would I have to set that up in some manner?

I have both Netscape 7 and Mozilla 1.1. If you point Mozilla to the same member profile that you're using for Netscape, it will pick up the exact same settings.

By the way, do you know how Mozilla works with this forum?  Would it be the same as 7?

I do. And the bad news is that it's also banned from being used for the time being because it has the same problem as Netscape 7. :( But that's no surprise because they both use the same core code...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2002, 10:04:02 AM »
Thank you!  I suppose I can still get it and then wait for it to work with this.  I'm not sure what you mean by point it to the same member profile, so if I get it and can't figure that out, I'll ask again!
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2002, 07:35:25 AM »
I downloaded Mozilla 1.1 tonight and every time I try to install it I get a message that Mozilla has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Details:

MOZILLA-WIN32-1 caused an invalid page fault in
module KRNL386.EXE at 0002:000079c0.

I also copied all the registers, etc., in case that means anything.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2002, 10:09:28 AM »
I decided to see if I could download it again from a different site.  I saved it in a different folder than the first time.  When I went to get it afterwards, I found two versions in this second folder with a slightly different name (I think one ended with 1.1 and the other was 1.1b, which I believe was my second download).  I can't imagine now the first one got there when I downloaded it to the first folder (that one is still there, I didn't accidentally use the same folder).

Anyway, I installed what I think is the first version and from this copy it worked!  It automatically got all of my bookmarks and mail from Netscape (it asked if I wanted it to copy my profile and took a little while to do it).  I had just finished setting up the mail when I was informed of 1 new message - and it was the notification of a reply to this question that I posted in the WordPerfect Forum!!

So, apparently all is well! :)  (I'm still doing this with IE, haven't tried it with Mozilla yet.)
Josette

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2002, 05:46:22 PM »
  (I'm still doing this with IE, haven't tried it with Mozilla yet.)

And you will be for the for seeable future since Mozilla is pretty much the same as NS and can't be used to browse this forum.  Hope for NS 7.1 soon.