Author Topic: Not Since Maggie and Joe.....  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Not Since Maggie and Joe.....
« on: April 14, 2003, 04:38:20 PM »
....have we seen a nice, normal, loving, affectionate couple like Megan and Phillip Todd.  Why is that?  It's generally useful to make the audience CARE about people before you put them in jeopardy......if we don't feel something for them, we won't care much when disaster strikes.

That's an aspect of storytelling that never got much attention on DS.....once the supernatural became the driving force of the show, real feelings and natural behaviour went right out the window.

Even the Todds get only a couple of episodes and now the inevitable kiss of death is at hand.  I've never seen 'Leviathans' but I already know that instead of an extended period of character and relationship developement (which would have provided relief from the tension and encouraged emotional investment in the characters) we're about to get hit with All-Hell before we've even caught our breath from the return from 1897.

If we're still talking about why ratings began to go down....THIS practice gets my vote.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Not Since Maggie and Joe.....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 07:02:03 PM »
....have we seen a nice, normal, loving, affectionate couple like Megan and Phillip Todd.

[size=12]eow!!! ick ick[/size]

blah....

:)Patti :)
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:17:42 PM »
Okay Patti.....now tell us how you REALLY feel!!

[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 08:32:08 PM »
heehee kinda like Carol and Mike Brady! they are so nice!but it changes!wait till you see Micheal and Alexander Rainey!double icky!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 09:37:00 PM »
heehee kinda like Carol and Mike Brady! they are so nice!but it changes!wait till you see Micheal and Alexander Rainey!double icky!

jennifer
It's almost like Carol and Mike Brady turn into Roseanne and Dan Conner.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 10:11:33 PM »
It's generally useful to make the audience CARE about people before you put them in jeopardy......if we don't feel something for them, we won't care much when disaster strikes.
You have just summed up my single biggest problem with so many films.  Caring about the character happens so rarely (for me) any more I am genuinely surprised when it does.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 10:16:42 PM »
Right on Micheal and Alexander are something
else!!      Oh Boy!!!
 >:( :o     Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 01:35:43 AM »
I thought it was refreshing to see a normal married couple for a change.  I also liked that Carolyn and Julia went off antiquing!  I always liked the scenes in town at the bluewhale or inn.  So I thoguht the anique shop was a nice addition.  I remeber thinking the Leviathin storyline very strange and I wasn' t fond of the child Leviathins and Jeb.  But I'm looking forward to watching the storyline again.  *I also didn't like Chris Pennock at first, but after seeing him play other characters especially Gabriel.  I am looking forward to seeing him!

HobbiesDS 8)
HobbiesDS