Author Topic: Re:Fave Character?  (Read 3313 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Fave Character?
« on: January 11, 2004, 01:45:52 AM »
Maggie! :)
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 04:10:40 AM »
Uh. . no BIG surprise right??

[attachment deleted by admin]
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 04:31:46 AM »
Uh. . no BIG surprise right??

Um, no, but what is she doing?!!

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 06:35:35 AM »
 ;D Here are my "Top 50" favorite characters...

1. BARNABAS COLLINS
2. ANGELIQUE
3. VICTORIA WINTERS
4. COUNT ANDREAS PETOFI
5. QUENTIN COLLINS
6. DR. JULIA HOFFMAN
7. LAURA COLLINS
8. SARAH COLLINS
9. ARISTEDE
10. MRS. JOHNSON
11. CHARITY TRASK aka PANSEY FAYE
12. WILLIE LOOMIS
13. NICHOLAS BLAIR
14. MAGDA
15. CYRUS LONGWORTH aka JOHN YAEGER
16. ELIZABETH COLLINS STODDARD
17. GABRIEL COLLINS
18. DAVID COLLINS
19. BUFFIE HARRINGTON
20. REV. GREGORY TRASK
21. ROGER COLLINS
22. SUKI FORBES
23. CHRIS JENNINGS
24. BEN STOKES
25. MAGGIE EVANS
26. ADAM
27. JEB HAWKES
28. CAROLYN STODDARD
29. DAPHNE HARRIDGE
30. JOE HASKELL
31. AMANDA HARRIS
32. HORACE GLADSTONE
33. PROF. T. ELLIOT STOKES
34. GERARD STILES
35. JASON McGUIRE
36. ROXANNE DREW
37. WILLIAM HOLLINGSHEAD LOOMIS
38. CHARLES DELAWARE TATE
39. ABIGAIL COLLINS
40. BUZZ HACKETT
41. MILLICENT COLLINS
42. HANNAH STOKES
43. BETH CHAVEZ
44. MICHAEL HACKETT
45. SANDOR
46. JENNY
47. JOSETTE DuPRES COLLINS
48. JUDITH COLLINS
49. FRANK GARNER
50. KING JOHNNY ROMANO

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 04:37:31 PM »
My (current) most favorite characters-

Male- Barnabas Collins, Quentin Collins

Female- Victoria Winters (only when Alexandra played the role), Maggie Evans or any character that KLS portrayed

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 04:47:54 PM »
After finally seeing the series from beginning to end in the 90s, Liz became my fave.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 05:27:50 PM »
Um, no, but what is she doing?!!

I think she smells something fishy at Collinwood. . .[crowdhappy]

No really, this is an outake form the 1st film. . .who know's what got on Grayson's hand. . .Roger Davis' Dippidity doo?
Julia99

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 06:13:20 PM »
I've only seen Intro to Barnabas and 1795 so my list of 5 favs is only based on those stories.

Fav male - 1. Barnabas (can't image how that would change, I adore this character)
                  2. Ben Stokes the first (wonderfully acted with such heart by Thayer David, really first rate)
                  3. Joshua Collins (also wonderfully acted, I loved how he took charge and his chemistry with Joan Bennett)
                  4. Willie Loomis (genuine sleeze, John Karlen made this name famous)
                  5.  Jason McGuire (Dennis Patrick is another terrific character actor and always fun to watch)

Fav Females 1. Naomi Collis (Joan Bennett (spelling?) is an uneven actress but of all the female roles Naomi is the one I would have liked to have played)
                     2. Angelique (not really a big fan but have to admire the writing and acting for this witch, Lara Parker was spectacular)
                     3. Abigail Collins (and anything portrayed by Clarice Blackburn, just a terrific actress rarely missing a beat)
                     4. Josette Duprey (the writing held back some but Josette is a classic romantic character)
                     5. Ruby Tate (don't know who the actress was but as one of Barnabas' first victims her scene with him was psychologically very interesting and classic Dark Shadows stuff)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: Fave Character?
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 04:29:21 AM »
I know everyone can guess,
my favorite is me! Sarah Collins,
dead or alive she can play a mean flute.  ;)

This reply was made two years past, I feel I may change my choice for favorite....

My favorite is  Barnabas, he is my very favorite, such a loving brother to little Sarah who was so lucky to have such a caring brother.    :)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 06:18:28 AM »
I know I've mentioned this in other threads but hands down, my favorite character overall is Barnabas.  He is the reason I watched all those years ago and he's the reason I still love the show.  I find the show much less interesting when he isn't on.

My favorite female character after all these years is still Angelique.  I remember thinking she was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen and I still do...and those eyes....The chemistry Jonathan and Lara had was priceless.  One in a million....................

I have now watched the entire run of the series for the first time.  I know several people have mentioned that their favorite part of the series is the pre-Barnabas episodes.  I remember when Sci-Fi was airing those episodes the last time around, it seemed like an eternity before he finally arrived.  He made the show worth watching at least to me.  I've never been a fan of other Soaps and so I found much of the pre Barnabas episodes a bore.  It was the first time I had ever seen them.  Maybe when they come out on DVD and I see them again I'll like them better the second time around.  I know I really disliked the Adam/Dream Curse episodes the first time I saw them on Sci Fi but watching them on DVD for my second viewing I find I like them much better this time.

Murph

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 08:24:15 AM »
I've never been a fan of other Soaps and so I found much of the pre Barnabas episodes a bore.  It was the first time I had ever seen them.  Maybe when they come out on DVD and I see them again I'll like them better the second time around.  I know I really disliked the Adam/Dream Curse episodes the first time I saw them on Sci Fi but watching them on DVD for my second viewing I find I like them much better this time.

I really don't mean to hijack this thread, but...I agree.

For me, the more I view the show, the more I am able to "get over" it's sillyness (after 1795 - meaning the Dr Lang/Jeff Clark/Man-made monster subplot. Once Adam gets here though, I am able to start enjoying again.). I guess (for me) it's easier to watch once the shock has worn off.

I liked the pre-Barns from the get-go though. I think it's mostly because I was so overjoyed to see them after taking for granted for decades that I'd never get the opportunity. It was very satisfying to see the origins of so many of the characters I had grown so found of as a child. (I started watching regularly during the beginnings of the Petofi period til about probably halfway thru 1840 during the original run.) The nostalgia of black & white was and is also a big part of my enjoying the PBs as well, and the fact that up until Josette's ghost (or was Bill Malloy's ghost the first phantom?) appears, the goings-on are plausable, which IMHO, makes it all very interesting and engrossing.

I wont even consider buying the DVDs until the the pre-Barns make their DVD debut.

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 05:09:13 PM »
Now I like Barnabas but really ladies. . a **hunk**?? I don't think so, I don't see it not at all. . Explain please. . .

Yes, I agree. "Hunk" is not the word I would use. In fact, to me, it's got kind of yucky connotations. Like a dopey guy in an awful tank top.

Barney is, however, extremely hot. Why? Because it has to do with the person, not whether he has classic good looks or not. He was just really, really sexy. The way Frid portrayed him, he was so complex. In a single episode, you wanted to kiss him, slap him and then take care of him.

Of course, in combination with this, physically there was an awful lot to like as well, IMNSHO: The eyes, the voice, the tall, slim bod, the suits, the hands, the hair (when they weren't mucking it up), the...uh-oh I better stop now. [blshg]

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »
In a single episode, you wanted to kiss him, slap him and then take care of him.

Gee, this description reminds me of my husband.  He doesn't look like Mr. Frid, though.  Oh well, you can't have it all.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 07:51:29 PM »
Hunkiness (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  :)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 10:38:52 AM »

From an actor's point of view, John Karlen was such an accomplished performer in the role of Willie -- the ability to convey high intensity without scenery chewing or histrionics really stands out for me when I view the show nowadays.

Willie is my favorite character.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.