Author Topic: Please Read This Thoroughly Before Voting!  (Read 3046 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Please Read This Thoroughly Before Voting!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 02:18:03 AM »
Unfortunately I would have to say that SoapNet needs to begin with 210 so not to bore the young viewers. Let's face it these days the younger audience are instant gratifiers who complain loudly when the pizza guy is five minutes late. I think they would lose interest very quickly without seeing a vampire on the program although I could be dead wrong. There obviously needs to be some type of, lets say, one hour episode summarizing the pre-Barnabas (classic) episodes.

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 02:50:45 AM »
We need to start with 1968. I have yet to see the Pre- Barnabas or episodes before 1795 because I am waiting until the release the first episodes on DVD.

I dont want to read about episodes I have yet to watch. Lets start with 1968, please
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 04:57:12 AM »
[kaiokn] I agree that the show really started getting HOT with the arrival of Laura.  That sparked the show and the other characters became more interesting.  You can see most of the Barnabas storyline plaing out... Much of what they did later was done with Laura.  The difference is, of course, that Diana Millay left to have her baby & never became the "sympathetic" monster.  I think that, watching those early episodes disproves two "DARK SHADOWS MYTHS":

:o 1) It was only mildly supernatural until Barnabas arrived -- No, very early on, if you pay attention to the writing, Laura is a supernatural character... I also believe Diana knew about this.  I think she got some insight from Dan Curtis... maybe some early direction.  Check out how she lights her cigarette in one of her first episodes... watch how she reacts to the flame.  You can catch this way early in the writing and in some of the acting.

:o 2) Frid was going to last a number of weeks (I've heard anywhere from two to six weeks!), then he would have been knocked off... Not so.  Look at the Laura storyline.  They were following up the Laura storyline.  She was there for months.  The plan was to have the Barnabas storyline last at least as long as the Laura storyline, as long as ABC was going to renew for a three month cycle, they were going to do the vampire story for at least that... as a follow-up to the Laura story.

[deal2] "DARK SHADOWS MYTHS" made good copy, I guess, for some reason... But the facts don't support them!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 06:08:14 AM »
Thanks so much to all of you who've been taking the time to post your thoughts about where we should begin watching the DVDs. However, a gentle reminder - simply posting your view won't actually count towards the final result. If you'd like your opinion to count, you really need to vote in the actual poll. It's fairly easy to do. Just click on the radio button to the left of your choice so that a black dot appears inside it, and then click on the "Submit Vote" button.

And thanks again.  ;)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2004, 10:51:21 AM »
Where is the poll??

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2004, 01:17:28 PM »
The Poll is located at the very begining of this thread, Janet, at the top of page 01.  :) 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2004, 08:11:19 AM »
I'd personally like to start where the current DVD releases are.  I've already watched Episode 210 to the end of Set 9 DVD.  I'd like to move on instead of go back.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2004, 09:11:10 AM »
The Poll is located at the very begining of this thread, Janet, at the top of page 01.  :)

And at the top of any page in this topic.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2004, 10:56:53 AM »
Found it! Thank you! :)

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2004, 06:24:06 AM »
By a margin of only 1 vote (who says every vote doesn't count?) the winning storyline is 1968. So today (January 12th) we'll begin watching the DVDs (or following along with your tapes, or reading the Robservations summaries) with Episode #523, which is the first epsode on Set #8/Disc #4 (the first episode on MPI tape Volume 59). And the rest of the episodes for this month are posted on the forum's calendar.

On to the discussions...

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2004, 06:44:03 AM »
Thanks to everyone that voted!  I am doing the happy dance with the results!  yea! [crowdhappy]
[dancing_skeleton]
[/size][/color][/FONT]

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
Adam and Eve/Dream Curse Wins!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 06:34:26 PM »
Hey all,

I know several of you wanted to start with Set 1, episode 210, but I am glad we are starting with 1968.  SoapNet is already in discussions to start airing re-runs and I am sure they will start with Barnabas's arrival.

I do have a question for the moderators, what DVD Set are we starting with? DVD Set 10 comes out the 27th of this month so we better get started soon lol.

Adam and Eve/Dream Curse SL I am watching right now with the DVDs. I admit there are several boring moments, but I am glad we are going to discuss the episodes I am seeing for the first time.

I have yet to see Pre-Barnabas or Barnabas's arrival to 1795. I have seen 1795 until the 3rd disk of Set 9. If we were going to start with Set 1, I wouldnt be able to visit (not trying to sound like I am important lol)

Thanks everyone who voted for 1968.

Shane
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2004, 06:51:41 PM »
Hi, Shane,

See (MB's) Reply #24 above.

I'm glad you'll be able to join in with the episode discussions.