Author Topic: Paul Stoddards legal status at Collinwood  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Paul Stoddards legal status at Collinwood
« on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »
In the Jason McGuire episodes, Rogers tells Carolyn that it is a good thing Elizabeth is getting a divorce from Paul.  He says that Paul could just waltz into Collinwood and take over as head of the house as he is still legally married to Liz.

Is this possible after all that time for him to just be able to take over the household?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Stoddards legal status at Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:02 AM »
Now that's an interesting point.  I suppose it would depend upon the status of marital property law in Maine at that time.  I remember in my state, back in the 70's, a marital property reform bill was introduced into the legislature.  Until that time, all property was held as belonging to the husband alone.  That included property and assets he came into the marriage with, property and assets accumulated by the couple during their marriage, and - this is unbelievable in our current day and time - any property and assets the wife brought into the marriage.  If the wife died, the husband paid no inheritance tax on any of it; if the husband died, the wife had to, including on her own property and assets she brought into the marriage.  Since I reside in an agricultural state, many farm widows had to sell their farms in order to pay the tax (there were convoluted loopholes that only a lawyer could decipher to prevent this from happening, or from softening the blow - my parents did that when they drew up their wills way back in the early sixties).  Finally, legislation was introduced, and a very small handful of legislators fought it tooth and nail, saying that granting equal status between spouses was a "communist plot."  However, it did pass.  So who knows what the status of marital property was in Maine back then.  If it was like where I live, it would made good stuff for a soap opera plot about a long-lost, money-grubbing hubby who returns.  Although I could see Elizabeth - should Paul have demanded his "rights" - threatening to use her own power to rip his face off, settling the question right then and there.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:11:30 PM »
This is interesting since Liz never legally sought to have Stoddard legally declared dead even just to keep up appearances.  I wonder if Liz had him sign a pre-nuptial agreement.  The family lawyers would have certainly thought of that, eh? 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:08:49 AM »
Surely someone with as much money as Liz would have gotten a pre-nup?
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 05:28:23 AM »
Surely someone with as much money as Liz would have gotten a pre-nup?
If Wikipedia is to be believed (and that is one honking big if), in Maine, the birth of a child negates a prenuptial agreement unless steps are taken to renew it.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 06:53:43 AM »
If Wikipedia is to be believed (and that is one honking big if), in Maine, the birth of a child negates a prenuptial agreement unless steps are taken to renew it.

FindLaw confirms this-- "Except as otherwise provided in this section [Chap. 21, sec. 606], an effective premarital agreement is void 18 months after the parties to the agreement become biological or adoptive parents or guardians of a minor. The premarital agreement is not void if, within the 18-month period, the parties sign a written amendment to the agreement either stating that the agreement remains in effect or altering the agreement."

Originally, we were told that Paul left 6 months before Carolyn was born, but the story was later revised to his leaving before she turned two.  Knowing about this law now, doesn't the 2nd scenario make more sense?  I mean, if such an agreement had been in place, I could definitely see Paul waiting around to insure that Carolyn safely turned 18 months old before he took off.   :-

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
I had forgotten that Carolyn had already been born before Paul left. You would have thought that he might have bonded at least a little bit with the baby but alas, he didn't.  Since the last scene between Paul and Liz was unplanned, Jason had to think quickly on an alternate plan when he had Liz wait in the foyer after he went into the drawing room to check on Paul.  I can see them dividing up the money and and detailing their plans to meet up at a later place for the actual money sharing.  Unless that is Paul took off with his half and Jason buried his share outside the drawing room window.  It wouldn't be like Jason to trust Paul very far with the loot.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf