Author Topic: Jonathan Frid and Crypts  (Read 10623 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid and Crypts
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »
if I was there I would protect him with my black quad cane, no wolfhead though.

OT, but did you hear about the elderly Miss America that defended her farm with her gun, while using her walker to stand.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »
How exciting! I'm glad that he chose to attend this fest. Hopefully everyone will be on their bestest behavior and use discresion.

Fortunately, Brandon, most fans usually are polite and patient. There are always the few who are not and seem to project a radioactive glow of some kind that makes them stand out even more in a crowd. :P    As excited as fans will be when they see JF, I think most will resist the urge to stampede like wildebeests at the first sight of water.  No one need worry about JF being protected from any unruly individuals; he is quite adept at handling that himself.  He is capable of a behavior-ending glower and retort should the need arise.  The rude, obnoxious fan is the one who will need secruity protection in that instance, not Jonathan. ;D  Otherwise, he's a pretty mellow fellow with a good sense of humor.  Those fans who have never seen him in person before I think will be in for a nice treat.  I'm excited for those people especially.

Nancy

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »
I want to see extended coverage of JF's glowering retorts!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 12:00:17 AM »
I want to see extended coverage of JF's glowering retorts!

[naughty]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »
No one need worry about JF being protected from any unruly individuals; he is quite adept at handling that himself.

I still say you must announce that Mr. Frid will depart immediately should anyone act up. Make it clear. I have seen fans get unruly and behave quite badly towards the actors. But for the most part, hopefully, people will act accordingly.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 12:43:45 AM »
The instant that anyone starts to act up, a nearby doorway should open, and a dozen zombies should storm (nyuk nyuk) out, and carry away the troublemaker, back through the door again.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 01:16:56 AM »
at the few fests i've attended most of the fans have been pleasant and well behaved.

however there is invariably at least one person who during the Q&A's has an "edge" that makes me uncomfortable.

hopefully everyone will be nice.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »
I would think that this will be a 'huge' event with him coming.

Well, even if only a fraction of the huge "Fridiac" ;) contingent shows up, it will be big - especially if his fans who were never able to attend his previous Fest appearances show up.  :D  But there's also another side of the coin. I've spoken to quite a few regular Fest attendees who were originally planning on going this year but who are now dead set against it because they feel that, with Frid having been absent from the Fests from so long, the event could be a nightmare in 1001 different ways. One can only hope otherwise. But having seen first hand how some past Fests have been, shall we say, less than ideal experiences due to the various and often unforeseen pressures, I can't say I'm unable to see where they may have a point. Though honestly, these people have been lucky enough to have seen/met Frid at several past events, so seeing him again isn't as much of a priority for them as it might be for someone who's never experienced the pleasure...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
There will NOT be an autograph line. Jonathan is going to sign an item ahead of time to pass out to all attendees and during the banquet he will go around to each table and personalize the item for those who want that.  He doesn't (and can't) want to sit for six hours signing autographs and no one wants to stand in line for six hours for an autograph.  This way, he can avoid having to eat the rubber chicken at the banquet and keep busy!

I can appreciate the fact that heading to the east coast for a Frid-centric day would not be a priority to those who have already seen the guy.  It's not likely Frid will attend another fest and, now in his mid-80s, he's not going to live forever either.  These two facts should also be considered when making a decision whether or not to attend.

Nancy

I would think that this will be a 'huge' event with him coming.

Well, even if only a fraction of the huge "Fridiac" ;) contingent shows up, it will be big - especially if his fans who were never able to attend his previous Fest appearances show up.  :D  But there's also another side of the coin. I've spoken to quite a few regular Fest attendees who were originally planning on going this year but who are now dead set against it because they feel that, with Frid having been absent from the Fests from so long, the event could be a nightmare in 1001 different ways. One can only hope otherwise. But having seen first hand how some past Fests have been, shall we say, less than ideal experiences due to the various and often unforeseen pressures, I can't say I'm unable to see where they may have a point. Though honestly, these people have been lucky enough to have seen/met Frid at several past events, so seeing him again isn't as much of a priority for them as it might be for someone who's never experienced the pleasure...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
This way, he can avoid having to eat the rubber chicken at the banquet and keep busy!

I actually enjoyed the food at the '05 banquet. Though that was at a completely different hotel on the West Coast.  [wink2]

It's not likely Frid will attend another fest and, now in his mid-80s, he's not going to live forever either.  These two facts should also be considered when making a decision whether or not to attend.

Oh, absolutely! Especially for those who are big fans of Frid.  ;)  Though, of course, even an appearance by Frid, regardless of the circumstances, wouldn't necessarily be an incentive to some to attend - just like there are certainly people who wouldn't ever be inclined to attend simply because a special guest might be Alexandra Isles, David Henesy, Kate Jackson, or some other DS star who's never even attended a Fest. Frid definitely has a huge following of devoted DS fans who consider the original show to be nothing without him (they would be those "Fridiacs" :D - several of whom have even said they would never attend another Fest unless Frid returned), but not all DS fans are necessarily that devoted (and those people don't necessarily see a return of Frid as anything special). (We even have a few of those "less devoted" here on the forum. I won't mention any names - though through the years they've hardly made a secret of their opinions. And they and probably mostly everyone else know who they are.  ;D)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 12:59:18 AM »
The instant that anyone starts to act up, a nearby doorway should open, and a dozen zombies should storm (nyuk nyuk) out, and carry away the troublemaker, back through the door again.

I will be watching over Mr. Frid. So watch out.
"You there! You're out of formation!"
"Yes, yes. You may take one breath of his air."
"Step back! Yes, those hands are as big as they look!"
Whoops! Forgot this isn't Wicked Wednesday. Pardon.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
This is just such great news, that Jonathan will be attending the fest! How wonderful!  8)

I've never seen him in person, what a treat that would be. Too bad I can't go!  :( :'(

However, I will be there in spirit, and with a show like DS, that's saying something.  :D ;D

Having said all that, I wish him the best of times at the fest and hope he will enjoy himself.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2007, 05:45:38 AM »
I will be watching over Mr. Frid. So watch out.
"You there! You're out of formation!"
"Yes, yes. You may take one breath of his air."
"Step back! Yes, those hands are as big as they look!"
Whoops! Forgot this isn't Wicked Wednesday. Pardon.

I don't think it will be much of a problem.  It doesn't sound like he'll do much schmoozing with the fans other than signing and everyone will be eating dinner anyway.  I'd like to think that we're mostly a calm, collected, level headed group that know not to tackle a man in his 80s.   ;)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2007, 06:42:38 AM »
I don't think it will be much of a problem.  It doesn't sound like he'll do much schmoozing with the fans other than signing and everyone will be eating dinner anyway.  I'd like to think that we're mostly a calm, collected, level headed group that know not to tackle a man in his 80s.   ;)

I've never met Jonathan Frid, but I do know people who have and they pretty much all say that even though he looks like a cute cuddly teddy bear. If someone makes the mistake of stepping on his last nerve. They'll find out just how quickly that cute cuddly teddy bear can turn into a 6 foot grizzly bear.

FireRose

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2007, 06:51:25 AM »
I'd like to think that we're mostly a calm, collected, level headed group that know not to tackle a man in his 80s.
Clearly, I've not told you about the time I nearly flattened Shelby Foote at a writer's conference a few years ago. I'm not above knocking an 80ish year old man on his ass at a convention.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)